EHU Charges (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just wondered if anyone knew how much a site can charge for electric hook up.

We`ve seen charges from £2 per night up to £6 per night, surely they can`t sell it for more than they pay for it.

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I think most sites need to recoup the cost of the infrastructure as well as the leccy itself. I'm sure that some take a bitty mick though - makes me LOVE having a solar panel! :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think most sites need to recoup the cost of the infrastructure as well as the leccy itself.
That's right. Basically they can charge what they like as they are charging for provision of a service. It is illegal to charge more for the actual power than a specified amount (not sure exactly) but they roll it up with other items.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Camp sites dont just sell you electric, they charge you for using their equipment....cabling, hookup post, distribution board etc.

They CANNOT charge more than they pay for the actual electric.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Camp sites dont just sell you electric, they charge you for using their equipment....cabling, hookup post, distribution board etc.

They CANNOT charge more than they pay for the actual electric.

correct

nor should they list it as a separate charge on the pitch price ... though some do ..

if shown separately it must be metered and the cost per unit must not be more than the site owner pays..
if you are on metered, bear in mind sites are paying commercial rates.. which is considerably more than domestic..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
c
if you are on metered, bear in mind sites are paying commercial rates.. which is considerably more than domestic..

Don't you mean less ? I'm sure Grommets post the other day showed commercial rates lower than domestic . ( But far higher than other countries )

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't you mean less ? I'm sure Grommets post the other day showed commercial rates lower than domestic . ( But far higher than other countries )

a lot has changed since I left the industry in 2006 ..
there is no easy answer, so many variables.. big companies can get better deals than small ones.. so a CL owner or farmer may pay more than a big holiday company like Center Parcs who can negotiate lower prices..

I found this expiation .. https://www.ukpower.co.uk/business_energy/business_or_domestic

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
correct

nor should they list it as a separate charge on the pitch price ... though some do ..

if shown separately it must be metered and the cost per unit must not be more than the site owner pays..

Interesting information Jim, we have just stayed on a site overlooking St Ives and the payment breakdown listed everything, pitch per person, dog charge and electric.
The electric worked out at £5-50p per night and was straight off a EHU post no meter involved.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The rules are set by Ofgem .. you can read them on the Ofgem site you need to download the pdf.. the rules for reselling electricity are quite complex..

As I understand it, a site that shows a separate charge for electricity is leaving themselves open to challenge by the consumer (you) and they would have to show to Ofgem that the charge was fair and equitable..

The Caravan club advise CL owners to have an all inclusive price to avoid this happening..

Ofgem Legislation
As far as charging is concerned, rather than get involved with the amount of electricity
consumed (which would necessitate expensive metering and time-consuming accounting),
we would advise you to adopt the Club policy of charging inclusive of electricity. To charge
separately for electricity could expose CL owners to the possibility of visitors challenging
them to justify it. Even if the operator has not been charging excessively, he/she will be
involved in considerable (and disproportionate) time, effort and expense in proving their
case to Ofgem

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting information Jim, we have just stayed on a site overlooking St Ives and the payment breakdown listed everything, pitch per person, dog charge and electric.
The electric worked out at £5-50p per night and was straight off a EHU post no meter involved.

The rules are set by Ofgem .. you can read them on the Ofgem site you need to download the pdf.. the rules for reselling electricity are quite complex..

As I understand it, a site that shows a separate charge for electricity is leaving themselves open to challenge by the consumer (you) and they would have to show to Ofgem that the charge was fair and equitable..

The Caravan club advise CL owners to have an all inclusive price to avoid this happening..
Certainly open to challenge but the site would no doubt argue that it is charging for providing a service not just the electricity used. That would include installation and maintenance of the EHU network.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back