Split charge relay on chausson 510 (1 Viewer)

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
does anyone know where the split charge relay is on chausson 510 , eng battery flat as a rat & not taking a charge from 240v mains so looking for relay,
It may not even have one ? The so called user manual is as good as a chocolate fire guard
Not charged with my batt charger yet as still looking for the elusive relay
It's a new van & shortly ringing dealer

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know anything about new vans , but on ours the hookup does not charge the engine battery any time.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd have thought it was turned on/off from the control panel ¿

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the relay is usually for taking charge from the alternator to the fridge and or if twin relay will charge L/Batts as well --You could possibly have a connection from the control panel /van charger to the engine battery but if this is present you would/should have a switch to set L/B or engine batt on the control panel -Relay's are usually very close to engine battery (small black -ish box about the size of matchbox with wires coming out and poss fuses close by );)
terry

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Not all vans have systems that charge both the habitation & the engine battery while on EHU. Some only charge the habitation battery.

Even if both batteries are supposed to be charged, it's unlikely to be a separate relay. It is usually part of the overall 12V control system (such as a Schaudt Electrobloc).

If your van's system turns out to be one that isn't designed to charge the engine battery while on hookup, you need a Battery Master (or equivalent). That provides a trickle charge from your habitation battery while it is being charged to the engine battery to keep it topped up.

The Battery Master is available from Jim's shop (see advert top right & if he is able to ship while in Spain) or from VanBitz (with Funster discount). See the Subscriber discount page for details.

As you say, the dealer is your first port of call to find out what it should be doing.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
On our bestof10 it does charge both batteries on hook up. I think on hook up the charge is organised by the black coloured charger located next to the 240v fuse board next to the hot water heater. When driving the batteries are charged via the two white coloured relays in the lower locker just behind the drivers seat.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
On our bestof10 it does charge both batteries on hook up. I think on hook up the charge is organised by the black coloured charger located next to the 240v fuse board next to the hot water heater. When driving the batteries are charged via the two white coloured relays in the lower locker just behind the drivers seat.

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
I agree re the panel control it should be there as my previous vans were but being new van (and more advanced !! it's not got the pick which to charge function) as was always useful.
Yes VANBITZ visit on the horizon I feel

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
it's not got the pick which to charge function as was always useful.
A lot of modern vans don't have the switch because they automatically charge both. Trouble is, some don't have the switch because they can only charge the habitation battery. :(

Yes VANBITZ visit on the horizon I feel
Good call, if the dealer confirms it's not a fault. At least it's not far to go! (y)

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Me thinks maybe as battery voltage was in its boots (9 v) may have been too low to pick itself up
Ime on my portable charger now and battery taking 9 amps

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
I've a VANBITZ strike back alarm fitted & although it takes only Milliamps and also being just packed up outside house it all takes its toll
When battery up to strength again will turn everything off and check if anything is draining battery power wise

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back