• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Tow car.. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
As a few of you know I have to sort out transport for when we are away. My wife has a disability which means walking is extremely painful so that is why we need to sort something out.

First option and the most sensible is a tow car. I don't want a trailer so a car with an A frame is our first option.

Would much prefer a car already converted and ready to go. I have no problems at all finding small cars but thought it worth hunting the right car already converted if possible.

I understand the laws regarding these devices and am happy to live with them.

Second option is something along the lines of a 3 wheeled scooter like the Peugeot Metropolis or Piaggio MP3. The benifit of these 3 wheeled scooters is I can get my wife say comfortable on the back . A top box and backrest will help with that. Then I can get on and away we go. There is no way the wife can get on a conventional scooter with me sat up front.

With the bike/Trike option I would get an Ifor quad trailer with a full width loading ramp.

I have 38 years of riding all sorts of superbikes so this option is appealing. My wife when well used to ride pillion and even did a few laps with me round the Nurbergring in Germany.

So there we have it. In no mad hurry but am ready to purchase the minute something comes up.

Would prefer a late model car or bike with low miles if possible .. Prefer something like a Toyota IQ or Aygo. Or maybe a Smart ....

Thanks !

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Charlie, I have been advertising a 13 reg Fiat 5oo dualogic (automatic) for sale. I have just had the A frame taken off! sods law! but is still for sale price £7500 for the lot. The A frame is bt Towtal with the RV2 electronic controller. A decent mechanic should be able to fit the system back on in 2-3 hours.
The car is just 2.5 yrs old and done under 14k miles, it has privacy rear windows, wind deflectors, A/C dual ratio power steering, CD stereo, and is in "Chillout Purple met paint, (looks black in certain light)
PM me if you are interested
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps only been towed about 8 times, tows great.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Excuse me if this is irrelevant or inappropriate but you seem to have a PVC.
Surely this can easily go (and park) pretty much anywhere a car can?
So I can understand the reasoning for a scooter but not trailing a car - even a small one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Excuse me if this is irrelevant or inappropriate but you seem to have a PVC.
Surely this can easily go (and park) pretty much anywhere a car can?
So I can understand the reasoning for a scooter but not trailing a car - even a small one.

When in France we found it quite hard to find spaces in places like Vannes. I need to get as close as I can to minimise the walking for my wife.

MH Dealers will have us believe a car can go in any car parking space. I have driven vans all my working life so I know that is not quite true. Buy hey we gave it a go but its proving difficult

A scooter would be by far the best option but also the impractical one as if the weather is bad its not pleasant.

We actually chose the PVC because we were reasonably confident that we would be able to park within easy sensible distance in order to keep the walking to the minimum. Unfortunately it hasn't quite allowed us to get into places as close as needed. My wife's condition has and is deteriorating so Im running on my feet a little.

The other thing is as well is when set up on site with the awning out , The Lilipads all pegged down and everything set up its going to be easier with transport than without.

Car hire was again something I had considered but if we are in some places in France like we were it seemed very hard to arrange. Public transport is all well and good but again its the walking that is the killer.

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hey, think out of the box. Get a tuk tuk!
What's not to like? You could use it as a local takeaway delivery service \ taxi service when not pulling it behind the mh!(y):giggle:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is on UK campsites,
for sale a toyota aygo, 2011 model 61reg, 15,500miles, 5 door in red. will have 12months mot. tax only £20 per year, cheap to insure, complete with a-frame. great little runaround, light to tow. one previous owner. sold the motorhome so no longer required,
£4200

Maybe worth a look
Nick

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This is on UK campsites,
for sale a toyota aygo, 2011 model 61reg, 15,500miles, 5 door in red. will have 12months mot. tax only £20 per year, cheap to insure, complete with a-frame. great little runaround, light to tow. one previous owner. sold the motorhome so no longer required,
£4200

Maybe worth a look
Nick
Do you have a link please ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
... Get a tuk tuk!(y):giggle:
Love it!
tuktuk1stop.gif

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi, Charlie, I have been advertising a 13 reg Fiat 5oo dualogic (automatic) for sale. I have just had the A frame taken off! sods law! but is still for sale price £7500 for the lot. The A frame is bt Towtal with the RV2 electronic controller. A decent mechanic should be able to fit the system back on in 2-3 hours.
The car is just 2.5 yrs old and done under 14k miles, it has privacy rear windows, wind deflectors, A/C dual ratio power steering, CD stereo, and is in "Chillout Purple met paint, (looks black in certain light)
PM me if you are interested
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps only been towed about 8 times, tows great.

Thanks.. I don't fit in a Fiat 500... I'm 6,4 and after a lifetime in martial arts and in the gym the seats in those Wee cars don't suit me...
But thank you all the same !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This is on UK campsites,
£4200

Maybe worth a look
Nick

Have been in touch with the seller of this car but it has been withdrawn due to a house move..

Appreciate the heads up though ! Cheers

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Thanks.. I don't fit in a Fiat 500... I'm 6,4 and after a lifetime in martial arts and in the gym the seats in those Wee cars don't suit me...
But thank you all the same !
OK, good luck with your search
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie
This one will now be for sale in three weeks - held on to her longer than we thought initially. Going for a new MOT next weekend so will be ready to go to her new lucky owner the week after. Also have a quick look at the video link in the ad - same car, same A frame system, complete. (y)

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/peugeot-107-5-door-complete-with-tow-car-system.114537/

Regards,

Trikeman. ;)
Thanks... We are looking long term and would prefer to buy something a year or two old...

We have been to look at a wee Toyota IQ just today and if we can find an automatic one it would serve as a tow car and the wife's runabout. She only goes as far as the local town or the doctors so it makes sense. This will allow us to sell her existing car..
The IQ is no longer in production so a two or three year old one will be as new as we can get.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back