Garmin sat -nav problem . (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I was given a Garmin nuvi 205 sat-nav of of my brother-in.law after he passed away. Never really got it out of box except to look at it. Until yesterday ........... when my own Mio Navman decided to jam up. Having spent hours trying to unam it I've given up & remembered the garmin. Only to find that it is password protected ???
Requires 4 numbers but obviously I've no one to ask. Anyone any idea whether it can be overcome or is it another for the bin ? :(
I reckon he's having a good laugh at me up there.:LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
any good ?

If you have forgotten your 4 digit PIN number you can unlock the device by returning to your "security location". The security location is the location where you first enabled the lock on your device. Returning to the security location will unlock your device, provided the device is on and has acquired satellites. Once at that location and the device is unlocked, then you can go back into the Garmin lock screen and enter a NEW PIN code that you can remember.

If you have forgotten your PIN and security location please contact product support for assistance. Please note we will require a copy of the receipt and there will be a charge (fee) to unlock the device, as this issue is not covered by the warranty.

more info here http://www.sciuridae.co.uk/understanding_garmin_lock.htm

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A lot of devices are 1234 or 0000, just a thought?

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes tried everything posted already. Location could be anywhere ! Ramsgate; London, Essex or Budapest ! lol :LOL:Reset does a master reset but doesn't remove pin lock.
No point contacting garmin as no receipt ,obviously. last option is input the 9,999 possible options !!!:):(:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
BiLs date \ year of birth, last 4 numbers of telephone number, etc?

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have a Garmin Nuovi, compared to what is on the market now it is just about fit for the skip.

It won't upgrade maps as it is a UK locked model, but they won't tell you that.

It won't take an SD card less than 4gig but it isn't documented anywhere.

If you put new maps on with (say) an 8gb card, the new maps AND the old won't work, I spent three days on the phone to Garmin trying to get it running, gave up in the end. Oh, and don't try XP or earlier Windows to upgrade with.

Biggest load of rubbish I have ever bought (for our company vans)

I use Sygic now for mapping etc.

Peter

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Chuck it in the bin and get yourself a Chinese Nozatec or similar with free lifetime map updates for less than Garmin would want for one years update.

Dave

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Most of these 'out of the box' codes are either 0000 or 1111.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A lot of devices are 1234 or 0000, just a thought?
Most of these 'out of the box' codes are either 0000 or 1111.
As far as I know all Garmins are unlocked by default so don't have a default code. If a code is in place, therefore, it is because the previous owner set it. Hence all one can try is trial & error or pay Garmin to reset it (probably almost as cheap to buy a new one).

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
BiLs date \ year of birth, last 4 numbers of telephone number, etc?
Yes tried all of them.
Chuck it in the bin and get yourself a Chinese Nozatec or similar with free lifetime map updates for less than Garmin would want for one years update.

I bought one whilst in the UK . Couldn't get it to work. After numerous resets/recharges as suggested by the supplier, it finally decide to work -Was looking good until it was realised that it wasn't holding a charge & went off. Wouldn't even charge with a mains charger , although I read after that the supplied one can be useless. I'd lost the will to live by then & sent it back.

As far as I know all Garmins are unlocked by default so don't have a default code. If a code is in place, therefore, it is because the previous owner set it. Hence all one can try is trial & error or pay Garmin to reset it (probably almost as cheap to buy a new one).
Yes he obviously set a code.
I have now lined up to buy a Tom -Tom go 710 .. 20€ can't be bad !
Quite sad that the Mio has died actually . I quite enjoyed the mapping on it which was obviously for horse & carts, it was that old !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back