Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hello,

For some time we've thought our grey water tank had a leak. It seemed slow and so we never got round to doing much about it (hold criticism please, I realise I should).

The symptoms were that our grey water never gets fuller than one "bar" on the digital display, and when we drive off from a place, we noticed a trail of water left behind for a short period.

I thought this was due to a leak collecting in a drip tray or something but after checking it more thoroughly yesterday, I think there is more to it. It appears that there is some sort of plug or seal missing from the bottom centre of the tank. can actually reach up into the tank through the round hole underneath, which seems like it should have some sort of plug. The water fills to the point where it then starts to overflow and run out of the exit hole, which is about 15 cm in diameter. I bought the vehicle used and noticed this problem fairly shortly into our tour, so it may have been like this from the start.

The vehicle is an Adria Twin SP 2011. Can anyone offer advice about how the grey water tank operates, what this hole is for and how to source a replacement? We're going to look for a repair centre today and see if they can help, but thought I'd hedge my bets and ask on here while we do that.

Pic of the underside of the tank attached.

Attachments

• 20151006033414.jpg
    20151006033414.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 387

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I had sort of the same problem with my Ripidoter came down the side of the pipe i sealed it with mastick round the pipe.
Mine started to leak after i reversed over a high kerb.
I must have hit the pipe..
Dont know if this helps

Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
But when you grey water tank leaks there are no stupid drivers tailgating you.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi Mel,

I don't think that helps because as I say and as I think the picture shows, there is a large purpose made hole at the bottom of the tank that looks as though it should have a stopper sealing it. I don't know what has happened to the stopper. The water is not "leaking" as such, more just coming out of that hole when the level gets high enough (doesn't take much).

20151006033414-jpg.78275

Reactions: Mel
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thank you!

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Would anyone have a clue how to source one of these abroad? We're in the French Riviera at the moment and will be driving west toward the Biarritz area over the next week or so.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It looks from the picture like there is a thread in the hole so perhaps it's just fallen out/ been left out by mistake. Can't tell from the picture how big it is but if your very worried about it find something to jam into it while you source the correct bung. Would it be wine bottle cork size? You may have to try loads of bottles till you find the right sized one. :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Then again you could just leave it open and drain the grey as you go like most if not all of the Funsters :whistle2::reel:

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ha ha, I wish it was wine cork size!

It's about 15cm in diameter. We've phoned a few local camping car places and they have told us the same thing "all years and models seem to come with unique waste tanks and the bung is a different size in each". So it's not easy to source the correct one.

Frankly if we just empty the grey water as often as possible, which we have been doing, it's not a huge problem. Until recently we just thought it was a trickle leak. When I tried putting the hose in the sink to fill the grey water tank and the overflow all came pouring out the bottom I realised it was more. So yes, maybe we can tape it up completely or something for the moment.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just leave it until you get home --mean while I will see who has got spares -I have about 4 tanks laying around with various size bungs so confident we will get a match --if it comes to it I can always fit a waste tank with the bung at the top tapped over rather than waste a tank
;)
terry
CAK tanks will have bungs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
so yes, maybe we can tape it up completely or something for the moment.
No you cant.........

When the tank is quarter full there may be 20kg pushing down on the tape repair.
When its full there may be 80kg...

The only thing i can think would do a temp repair would be some kind of bladder to insert half way then inflate.....maybe a kiddies beachball or similar deflated, inserted then reinflated.
Plumbers use a rubber donut which, when compressed by turning a threaded screw, will seal a 100mm or 150mm plastic pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just leave it until you get home --mean while I will see who has got spares -I have about 4 tanks laying around with various size bungs so confident we will get a match --if it comes to it I can always fit a waste tank with the bung at the top tapped over rather than waste a tank
;)
terry
CAK tanks will have bungs

Thanks Terry.

@pappajohn You're complete correct, wasn't thinking.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
The rubber donut suggested by @pappajohn is called a pipe stopper and is what I was going to suggest as a temporary fix... Pictures here. They're available from builders merchants and tool hire shops to buy. Take your phone in and point at the picture :) they're used to block off sewer pipes etc so will take the pressure of the grey water.

Not sure how well it will seal on its own if the thread is inside the hole as the rubber is quite hard, but wrapping a couple of carrier bags around it might do the trick and would be better than over tightening the bung and possibly damaging your tank.

Oh and maybe tie some string round the handle and onto the bottom of the van somewhere just in case it should work loose.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I previously had a Rapido which had an inspection bung just like that. I would think quite a few continental vans use a similar system. Once you know the exact size it will probably be straightforward to track down the right part.

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As usual, funsters provide great advice. Thanks so much.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Dry and clean the area around the hole , cut a section out a lunchbox or the like and using contact adhesive glue a patch over the hole.
Make sure to keep the glue back a bit from the hole so as not to bugger the thread.

Vlad

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Christ sake it's grey waste just let it run out until you get home or a bung

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If it is about 15mm, forget motorhome related retailers and go to a plumber suppliers.
Show them the hole and ask for something to bung it up..
Bet you get change of a couple of euros

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Revisiting this thread. Sale of the motorhome is proceeding and I'd like to hand it over with no outstanding niggles to the new owner. My guess is that this bung was missing when we purchased the vehicle (possibly the inspection we had done forgot to refit the bung since it wasn't mentioned in the report).

So, I'm going to hit up a few plumbing stores today but could anyone suggest caravan/motorhome part suppliers somewhere near London, preferably south, where I could at least attempt to source a replacement?

My best attempt to measure it, it seems to be about 10cm wide.

Thanks

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
5 months......and still not fixed. :Eeek:

We spent a few days in France trying to get it repaired, phoning around and even visiting some shops but they did not have the part. I have to admit it slipped my mind after that, so now I'd like to sort it rather than let a new owner find out like we did.

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Missed this thread first time around as I was on holiday.

Probably won't help you much but this is what is in mine (2010 twin) - can't get better pic as it's now started peeing it down.

@mwark

If it's 10cm wonder if this would do the trick

http://www.watertankswarehouse.co.u...4-Male-Threaded-Cap-For-Tanks-Marked-MTC.html

Great info, thank you. That one looks very much like it'll work. Thread size is an unknown without being able to get under properly but for the low cost I'll just take a chance and order I think.

@Allanm I will try CAK tanks, thank you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back