Approaching junctions abroad whilst travelling alone (1 Viewer)

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Just wondered how people manage with a rhd vehicle when they are driving alone on the continent. At some junctions and especially on motorways it is somtimes difficult. Previously I have always had someone with me and been able for them to confirm that the way is clear, sometimes the lead up road makes it almost impossible to see out of my passenger side wing mirror if the way is clear of traffic.
Wondered if there were any adapters for the wing mirror (like caravan extenders) for motorhomes. Wasnt sure if a caravan extender would be at a good angle to help.
Hope it doesnt sound a daft question!
Thanks all.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
something like this would do the trick......Link Removed.... from Halfrauds.

bit small but you would be at a standstill anyway normally so plenty of time to study it.

looks like it swivels right round so would be ideal on your left hand mirror.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
This is always a difficulty, I am lucky as I have my wife with me but I always drive as if she is not there, IE I trust nobody with my safety.

So some of the things I do to get around the problem.

1/ I very rarely overtake

2/ I always try to arrive at junctions at 90' to the road I am joining, sometimes this means I have to sit half across the other lane.

3/ I have 2 movable mirror on each side and I am constantly adjusting them for the best view, think ahead and get ready.

4/ I use the hazard lights if they will help

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
to see or not to see

Hi there, I was troubled by this too, and am due to head off to the continent in a few weeks time - although I will have company, my wife sleeps a lot, whilst I drive!
Fitted truck style blind spot mirrors to our A class, ( about 10- 12 quid each) - they are terrific - it is possible to see way out wide- I thought they would be great for motorway driving here , never mind away far away in foreign parts.
Regards, WeeJohn

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A second recomendation for truck size blind spot mirrors,

A truck accessory place will have a vast selection, or a truck stop (like motorway services, south mimms on the M25, Barton services up north etc)

Failing that a motorhome accessory dealer, but you'll be charged prolly double because the packaging will have the magic words 'motorhome' on it.

Can get them to pole mount for truck style mirrors on D arms, or clamp on ones for the more modern trucks, busses and motorhomes that have mirrors in fairings,

You can get some really wide angle mirrors nowadays, can almost see behind it's self ::bigsmile:

if you wanted to go all high tech, and have a reversing monitor and camera, get a second camera and fix it pointing through the passengers window.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Blind spot mirrors are good.

Also, don't be afraid to stop well short of the actual junction so that you can see what is coming.

blue_sky

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
1year
As said before,
Plan the junction as you approach
Use all the road if needed (also stand a better chance of been let out this way).
I can see quite a lot through the habitation windows on my van, so if they may be usable remember this when approaching the junction an position your van accordingly.
Remember to open the blinds and tie back any curtains before you set off.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
This is always a difficulty, I am lucky as I have my wife with me but I always drive as if she is not there, IE I trust nobody with my safety.

So some of the things I do to get around the problem.

1/ I very rarely overtake

2/ I always try to arrive at junctions at 90' to the road I am joining, sometimes this means I have to sit half across the other lane.

3/ I have 2 movable mirror on each side and I am constantly adjusting them for the best view, think ahead and get ready.

4/ I use the hazard lights if they will help

Doug...

Using hazard warning lights while in motion is illigal dude :winky:

I use an extra curb mirror angled back so I can see up the road I am entering as I am a lone member (or Billynomates if u prefer ::bigsmile:)..........................Simples! (squeek)

Boo

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
All the above is very good advice but remember the traffic is a lot closer than it appears with a very wide view mirror. Give it plenty use before going abroad to get used to it and try to position the van better on the road rather than relying on wide view mirrors. Consider them to be only an aid if at all possible. :thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

It sounds like one of the most sensible questions i have read, and just by posting it it gives me a great deal of confidence in your driving ability, as it shows you are thinking about what you are doing and that in its self makes you a very safe driver.

Braunston

J
Thanks all.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thanks all.

Its certainley not a daft question. I posted the same question a few weeks ago only my hm is a class c LHD and om some occasions I cant see to my right. I'm lucky because I have SWMBO next to me but it can be unnerving when you are pulling out blind.

I have listened to the advice from other funsters but still havent come up with a satisfactory solution. Ive looked at a few mirrors but they wont do it. For the time being I just take over the road with hazard light on. Its better to be safe than legal.
Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will have a look at some of the mirrors that have been mentioned. It's a great site for information, isn't it! Have another question regarding trailers for scooters, but will post that seperately.

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
mirrors

hi,i bought a great mirror on ebay its like a periscope but on its side,its mounts on the dash with a suction mounting and you set it once and its done.i have a left hand drive rv and use it all the time.i will have a look for the box tomorrow to get the make and part number,its fantastic but i havent seen any more advertized.if anyone wants to look at it we will be at stratford from monday for the week.silver white hurricane rv.MUZ

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
That sounds interesting, hope you can find the name of it. In the meantime I'll try google
though heaven knows what description I put in!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we have just got back from 8 weeks in Spain traveled from Dunkirk to Benicassim in Spain no trouble BUT on the way back we got lost in Barcalona no road markings on a Y junction we were following the satnav back to the motorway at no more than 20 mph when we was hit on the rear corner by a car that was speeding through the junction so take care as it is not only your driving you have to worry about. but it did not spoil the holiday with little damage to our van but one less speeding peaugot to worry about. Peter & Lynn:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Using hazard warning lights while in motion is illigal dude :winky:

I use an extra curb mirror angled back so I can see up the road I am entering as I am a lone member (or Billynomates if u prefer ::bigsmile:)..........................Simples! (squeek)

Boo

Not true! What country? Who said while moving? suggest engage gear before letting out clutch!

Doug...

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
mirrors

hi solitaire woman,having trouble with my pc this morning [im not very good],ive found the name of the mirror,its roadscanner,made in sweden,patent no2199001,i have tried to put pictures on,here goes,

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
mirrors

just some more details,can be used for lhd in uk,and for rhd abroad,fits on wings,dash,n/s or o/s its made so you can use it to overtake if pointed foward or as i have mounted it to the side so i can see on aproch to islands ect,i personaly find it brill and a realy good tool,but as everybody says you have to be carefull and not to rush and have a good look.hope this helps,as i said if anyone wants a look we will be at stratford from monday.cheers MUZ

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
mirrors

found the sole uk distributors richard grant motor accessories ltd.eaton bray.bedfordshire.sorry no tel number or postcode.there is a part number aswell RSM1 and barcode 5 015399 970013 this is all in smallprint on the roadscanner box.MUZ

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks so much Muz, very kind of you to let me have all this info. Will see if I can find a contact number but if not can always write.

joemac

Free Member
Aug 18, 2008
Northants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Blind Spot mirrors

Just wondered how people manage with a rhd vehicle when they are driving alone on the continent. At some junctions and especially on motorways it is somtimes difficult. Previously I have always had someone with me and been able for them to confirm that the way is clear, sometimes the lead up road makes it almost impossible to see out of my passenger side wing mirror if the way is clear of traffic.
Wondered if there were any adapters for the wing mirror (like caravan extenders) for motorhomes. Wasnt sure if a caravan extender would be at a good angle to help.
Thanks all.

Hi,

Not a daft question at all. I drive a LHD in the Uk and have come across the same problem. I have extra blind spot mirrors fitted above the "normal" wing mirrors. These help but dont completely solve the problem, a combination of plan early, check before you go if you can see through any habitation windows( there may still be a blind spot so you need to know.)
If driving alone i tend to approach the junction more slowly than normal giving myself time to lean as far forward as i need to see around and creep into the junction if I am at a all worried. This gives you a chance to see and other people a chance to make adjustments for the van in front of them.

I have never had a major problem once I had practised at home and then on the road with senior management to guide me, ( loudly at first though).

Joe

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Driving RHD in France

Hi, I bought a stick on (suction)wide angle car interior mirror from a local car accessory shop £9.99. By fitting to the inside of the passengers quarter light and angling it at about 45' it covers the blind spot my wing mirrors miss .I can get a great view when filtering into motoways etc.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Being a retired trucker, and having driven throughout europe and the middle east for many, many years, if l had a rhd truck, the best way l found, was to have a large, slightly convexed, truck mirror, in addition to the standard, positioned slightly more "outwards" from the norm. You will get used to it quickly, and it gives you an almost panoramic view. Do not get a small, "bullseye", blindspot mirror, as they give a diminished view, and they impede the mirror you already have if its a stick on. A slightly convexed mirror, as most trucks have, is the best solution. You may find that you only need one mirror if you find a good one, a good truck stop, or truck dealer is a good place to find one. Good luck,
Craig.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Towing my trailer tent in France last year, I found the biggest problem was when merging onto a motorway or dual carriageway - it wasn't so much that I couldn't see, but that other drivers continually came up on the left side to get past me because I was being cautious - and they were blocking my view. So instead of hugging the right hand side of the slip road, I started to keep more central so they couldn't squeeze past me and I could see left a lot better.
It is easier in a car with windows all round though. When I had my last motorhome, there is one junction in the UK that I would go out of my way to avoid if solo because it is a Y shaped T junction at very much the same angle as a slip road in a LHD country - having no window on the left side behind the cab made it impossible to see what was coming and I had to rely on my teenage daughter. Not ideal!

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
www.motorcaravanning.co.uk

Second item down mirror £9.25 add carriage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back