Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A 25ft swell made for an uncomfortable crossing on Sunday night. A couple of bottles of red, smoothed the bumps out for me and Siân, but little Katie felt each one, bless her. Arriving in Santander very late, the Captain apologised for the 'unkind water" and wished for better on our return. Landing very late and then for some reason being locked in the port for an hour meant we got to Salamanca last night just before it got dark.

The wind picked up and the RV has been doing it's best boat impression all night. Though Katie has slept through, maybe she snuck some wine with her supper. The plan is to make the short hop to Portugal after lunch.

The Bay of Biscay for us is always mirror smooth or horrendous, seems it has no in-betweens. :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:sick:Oh no, you have my sympathy, I'm not a good sailor:sick: hopefully the wind will drop & the sun will shine......:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Reminds me of the ferry crossing we had from Denmark to Bergen - was like a roller coaster. I'm not a good sailer and took a gamble on a smooth crossing.
Hopefully you'll have better luck on the way back

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Often taken the ferry when we were on the harley, never had a good time. Always drive down now.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
mirror smooth is freaky in the bay. Only been through it once when in the Navy when it was like that and everyone one board was on edge

No noise anywhere just the bow waves noise on the hull...not even engine noise

Next time was a freak storm and ripped a load of stuff off the upper deck...much prefer the latter!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Glad you landed safely Jim.

I have only done 2 ferry crossings and both were rough. The first one was to Jersey and we got held out at sea for over 24 hours. I absolutely loved it. I spent quite a few hours in the bar at the front watching the waves crash over the front of the ship and over the bar windows. I didn't have a cabin so walking back down the corridors to find some where to put my head down for a bit was funny as I didn't know how much of my stagger was wave induced and how much was beer induced. Sleeping in a corridor was fun as I kept being rolled over it was that bad.

Too old for that kind of fun these days and will always take the tunnel.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I feel for Katie as I am a crap sailor. Was sick as a dog once just on a Calais crossing and that was before we had even left the port! Hopefully she will be feeling better by now and you all enjoy the well deserved holiday.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We did that crossing coming back in the spring, put me off for years. We are in france now driving down. Much nicer although a lot slower. But we have The time, being retired.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
When I was a young teenager my father decided we had to go & live in SA, we went by big boat, everyone was sick in the Bay of Biscay except me & my brother-we were the only ones not to miss a meal!
Few years ago on a ferry from Isle of Mann we had a rough crossing, I wasn't sick but I didn't feel good!
Poor Katie, know how she felt!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assume you were on the Pont Aven from Plymouth? We were on it Sunday morning coming from Roscoff. You may have noticied I left it tidy for you.

We did have a very smooth crossing but I think we just snuck in before the low hit.

Rough weather makes for poor whale-watching, you should ask for a partial refund. :)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We thought we would try this route on our way down next month. Have to admit that despite us both being pretty good sailors I'm just a tad nervous about the Bay in November, the odds are against us as all our ferry trips over recent years have been very smooth :rolleyes:.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
But it's behind you now and at least your heading for the sun and a bit of warmth! Hope Katie feels better and that you all have a wonderful time. (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Look on the positive side Jim - there must have been some spectacular surfing waves in Biarritz.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Thats why we use the tunnel I hate ferrys they always make me feel sick

Hope you have a good trip

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Where are you staying at Salamanca? We stayed at Don Quixote camp site because we could not find an Aire anywhere near. Got a good bus connection into the city, which is well worth a visit for the sites and the tapas.

From there we crossed into Portugal via Cacares and spent a good night at the Aire at Marvao. Breathtaking views from the Aire and a beautiful little fortified hill village 5 minutes walk away.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have been across the BoB twice, 1st time mirror smooth, the 2nd time Hell on a Boat and that was a big cruise ship! :sick::sick::sick:

Have a great holiday Mr & Mrs Brown and I hope the weather is kinder to you in Portugal.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Twice in the last 3 years we have had our ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in January cancelled at the last moment due to "bad weather in the Bay of Biscay". In each case we were offered a sailing 3 days later so (again in each case) we elected to take the sailing to St Malo on the same evening as our original day of departure.

Next January we are going to book outward via St Malo and return in April via Santander!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Many years ago my first trip to sea left London heading for Cape Town. I was a dead man standing from the Themes estuary until we passed the Canary islands. Never ever been sea sick since and I have been in some real winter north Atlantic storms. It is strange how heavy seas affect us.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Once was enough for us, Myself and Suzy was good but John and Bryan was flat out ...

Our crossing was nearly as bad as your video ...duty free shop was closed due to all bottles there had crashed to the floor same with the kitchens...we literally had to catch our meals as all kept going and froing , some folk who were sitting on the dining chairs trying to eat had actually slid on their backs across the floor lolol ...never never again for us..

Glad you made it ok ...ps weather in Portugal warm and sunny wind has now stopped

John n Kath xx

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Katie has my sympathy. I know exactly how she feels having been sick in a pedalo in 18" of water in the Mediterranean ( I kid you not) and last year spent 72 hours in bed on a cruise. If you get the chance explore Salamanca, it's a beautiful city.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
A couple of years ago we did a med cruise from southampton on the independence of the seas a large ship crossing the bay the weather turned and all the pool water came out and went down the lift shaft tables and chairs went flying not very nice.

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
I feel sick just reading this lot! Have a brilliant holiday and heres to a calm trip on the way back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back