FRONT SCREEN WATER INGRESS FIXED. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Done it !! Got VERY peed off by water ingress into the engine compartment, so...Took the bonnet off, wiper arms, unscrewed the 2 piece plastic lower windscreen trim panel and eased it back far enough to get a bead of clear silicone along the inside edge of both halves ( and down the centre joint ). Put it all back together and I hope that that has stopped water bypassing the trim panel and running onto the engine.
Fingers crossed.
(y)(y)(y)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Got my done under warranty common fault on Fiat Autotrail.
Changed the set up on 2015 model.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Hope that it sticks okay, Sika 212 or similar would have bonded the scuttle to the windscreen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I recently had to have the windscreen replaced due to a crack. The scuttle was attached to the screen with double sided sticky foam strip. Obviously that had to be removed to replace the glass, and does not re-stick. Rain water then comes behind scuttle, all over engine & fuse box :eek: as well as entering between the centre joint. Temp fix is electrical tape over the scuttle & the screen, to be sorted with new foam strip courtesy of Fiat at the vehicle service next month. dealer didn't want to know as a) was ok before screen was replaced & b) they say not Autotrail problem but Fiat's. :mad:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I also had the windscreen replaced a few weeks ago and I asked them to stick the scuttle to the the windscreen which they did using some black sealant.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Didn't realise it was going to leak all along it's length or I would have asked the same. Could be a bit of a b****r if the screen went again though. :(

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hope that it sticks okay, Sika 212 or similar would have bonded the scuttle to the windscreen.
I used bathroom silicon because I didn't want a permanent bond to the screen. It has stuck and I just checked after the rain and there is only a slight trickle at the centre joint, which I will re-do when all is dry again. (fingers crossed ) (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
silicon sealant just doesnt work long term as it lets go allowing the leak to reoccur. using eurethane sealant like sikaflex does work but is a disaster if and when you need a new windscreen or to remove the scuttle. the best solution is to use vehicle glazing mastic strip. it bonds well and is waterproof, plus vibration resistant. however it is easy to cut through when necessary

dont forget to modify the scuttle drains of course for when it blocks and overflows. Andy @Techno100 has done a good pictorial how-to thread on this

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
silicon sealant just doesnt work long term as it lets go allowing the leak to reoccur. using eurethane sealant like sikaflex does work but is a disaster if and when you need a new windscreen or to remove the scuttle. the best solution is to use vehicle glazing mastic strip. it bonds well and is waterproof, plus vibration resistant. however it is easy to cut through when necessary

dont forget to modify the scuttle drains of course for when it blocks and overflows. Andy @Techno100 has done a good pictorial how-to thread on this
Yes Big 1. I did that first.. Ta..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back