3 feel at home, tethering issue (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
well, we've been in France since September 1st and using 3 feel at home.
I installed the sim in a dongle and everything worked fine for the first 2 weeks. Tethered iPad and sattelite receiver, laptop etc without a problem and then out of the blue we got the webpage from 3 saying tethering isn't permitted.
Anyone found a workaround if they encountered this issue ?
I've contacted my supplier in Ireland and bought an international roaming package till we're home and now tether to that via the iPhone which works well, however not cost effective.
So before our next visit I'll investigate the options and probably settle on orange.fr for a data sim as our supplier.

Anyone else have suggestions regarding 3G or indeed 4G service for France ?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
As I understand it, tethering is only allowed on "some" packages from Three. It may be worth swapping to one which allows it on Feel At Home providing the financial side still adds up

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used a Three sim in a MiFi for the past four and a bit weeks in France without any problems. It was a data sim, what they call mobile broadband.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If it's not a dedicated data sim it won't tether, but if you are useing a dongle that's what you need as you can't do calls or text with
Ii

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I thought you could only tether on a contract SIM, not PAYG. and then only in the UK?

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
You can tether in the U.K on a PAYG but not when abroad I bought the £20.00 package 300 mins, 3000 txt and unlimited data which work well in France.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I recently bought a three mifi and can describe the situation as they explained it to me:

on a mobile broadband tariff (such as you get with a mifi) you get all of your allowance for feel at home. if you go for the 4g option it includes 4g where available in the feel at home countries
if you have a calls sim then a part of your allowance will be available for feel at home but not all of it. For an unlimited data bundle this would be 8gb.

I got a 15gb mifi and a sim only 200 minutes unlimited text calls sim (no handset) and I am paying less than I was previously paying to t-mobile. I am happy... the only downside wil be having to take an extra charger when we fly to Teneriffe - in the campervan of course this makes no difference at all

Deleted User
We've got a Three mifi on payg and it allows tethering whilst roaming as explained by @mjltigger.

We got 12gb with the mifi, and I've just "topped up" with another 3gb for £15.

We also have an iPhone on Three on a contract, however this does not allow tethering whilst roaming.

The mifi has been brilliant throughout France, and whilst I've never had 4g it's rarely failed to get a 3G signal.

I'd say 80% of our internet use has been on the mifi, and 20% on FON through "the rocket"

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
We teathered all the wifi devices and all worked 100% for about 14 days and then we got "tethering not permitted" page after that. The sim still worked in the iPhone and allowed data but wouldn't tether other devices .
I don't think we used 8GB, however we may have done !
I'll talk to 3 when I return this week and see what the situation is.... If teathering isn't permitted I'll look for another solution as I need access daily for about an hour on the PC, so the phone isn't suitable for the programme I'm running.
When it worked it worked well, it was just the tethering ability that went pear shaped.

Thanks everyone for the input, appreciated.

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Dave

Dave,

Yes you are correct by reading the above but I can say i have not had any problem tethering to the lap top while in the U.K while on PAYG I do buy the £20.00 package when abroad as said for 30 days.

Richard
That's the one I had too Richard

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One way around this, is get a tablet that you can phone on as well , think you can get up to 9 inch now, then just use the tablet for Internet then on the 321 pay and go feel at home thingy you get unlimited data plus calls and text while abroad on a £15 package(y):)

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I have the GSM capable ipad and that also reported the tethering issue with the SIM card in situ too.
Problem is that I need to run an online programme via windows on the laptop so tethering is required.
I will look into this too.
Thanks @chaser

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We teathered all the wifi devices and all worked 100% for about 14 days and then we got "tethering not permitted" page after that. The sim still worked in the iPhone and allowed data but wouldn't tether other devices .
I don't think we used 8GB, however we may have done !
I'll talk to 3 when I return this week and see what the situation is.... If teathering isn't permitted I'll look for another solution as I need access daily for about an hour on the PC, so the phone isn't suitable for the programme I'm running.
When it worked it worked well, it was just the tethering ability that went pear shaped.

Thanks everyone for the input, appreciated.
I think you just have the wrong sim, my data sim won't work in my phone if I try and use it as a phone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back