Drivers, only a complete idiot... (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
...would attempt to take his motorhome through the High Street in Mevagissy.

"I just want to check out some of these Wild Camping spots on the GPS darling, don't worry, were not that big" :cool:.

P1140107_1505.JPG

Looking at this photo now I have no idea how we got through unscathed!

Ten minutes before my 'co-driver' had pointed out the 'NO CARAVANS' sign we had just passed...I confidently responded with "were not a caravan dear, no worries" o_O.

Ten minutes later we found ourselves with no option but to try to get through here without taking out any tourists or the side of the van :eek:. I sent Ginny out (like you do) so that I could blame her if I hit anything (y)...

Well we did get through...drew quite a crowd I have to say, all admiring my driving skills :rolleyes: ?

I could hear the cries in my head of "where does that idiot think he's going???:mad::mad::mad: for the following two days :cry::cry::cry:.

Ignore 'NO CARAVAN' signs in Cornwall at your peril :LOL::LOL::LOL:.

Only a complete idiot ? Well if the cap fits...:):):)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Plenty of room, only trouble no passing places if something comes the other way.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha, you did well getting through without any damage. Well apart from mental damage. :whistle: :LOL:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hats off to you for owning up to it (y)(y)

Met a bus on a similar country road last year, towing a 20 foot boat behind the van. The bus driver was very gracious and reversed back even though he had right of way. Apologised profusely when I eventually crawled past her.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have just wondered at your gung ho attitude then shared in your embarrassment

Now marvelling at your honesty in telling us all :):)

Most of us have been there and done that, (haven't we?) I am still recalling the ear bending from Bev from years ago when caravanning, did something very similar but did not involve 'ignoring' signs in my defence (y)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We parked at the side of the road in Mousehole, just before the no caravans sign, and watched a very large French motorhome drive straight past the sign. I saw him coming, but didn't realize in time that he was foreign and probably would not be able to read the sign which of course is in English only. I didn't hang around to see what happened but having seen how narrow the roads are, I should imagine he had great problems. Mind you, the bus seems to go into the town.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the bit you cant get round is if you actually follow the road into meva . the way in for large vehicles is turn left at the top of the hill coming from pentewan.
i used to have to get tankers down onto the pier on the right hand side of meva . there is a pump station down there . in summer it was a regular job .
also used to take all sorts of big delivery trucks through . coming back through is easier as the left turn by kelly,s ice parlour is ok . getting in by the main route for cars you turn left after the carparks but cant make the right turn into the main street.
its not that difficult if you come in from the other way, almost a straight run.
if you look at the pic ,where that no entry sign is on the right is where trucks and big vehicles come into the main street .
if coming from portmellon its just keep fingers crossed nothings coming the other way . ha ha .

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
The bit I didn't share with you all is that we came down from this direction...

P1140106_1504.JPG

....and where I took this picture from the following day, (after taking the bus in from Pentewan Sands), is a side street that leads to some flats. Well I dived in there at this point to recover my wits and give myself a good telling off whilst Ginny just kept giving me 'those looks' :mad:. I then went and did a recy of the way out of this fix which looked impossible. I then managed a 10 point turn to get out of the side street and then tackle the remainder of the High Street.

We spent a couple of days at Pentewen Sands where I never once mentioned this whilst chatting to fellow campers!

It's only now, some 6 weeks later that my therapist tells me it's ok to share the trauma!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so you came in from gorran or portmellon . you will have passed the harbour lights pub a bit further up that road.
its good driving trucks around cornwall.
think of the skip trucks . dust bin trucks etc .
but i hope you had a good time .
nice pub in portmellon. big carpark.
have stayed there off season . no good in season its like crazy town down there.
if you have a car or m,bike keep hugging the coast through gorran haven to hemmick beach . great place . but dont what ever try taking a motor home down there . a vw t2 or toyota high ace is about the limit .
i was down that way sterday on my m,bike coast road all the way to portloe . lovely ride out .

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
so you came in from gorran or portmellon . you will have passed the harbour lights pub a bit further up that road.
have stayed there off season . no good in season its like crazy town down there.
if you have a car or m,bike keep hugging the coast through gorran haven to hemmick beach . great place . but dont what ever try taking a motor home down there . a vw t2 or toyota high ace is about the limit .
i was down that way sterday on my m,bike coast road all the way to portloe . lovely ride out .

You're not wrong there vwalan! It's a great pub, we managed to park, enjoy the sunshine and a great meal. It all went downhill from there on...literally! :cry:.

11987162_884200998338680_8735308234351762964_n.jpg

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Bloody hell !!!! Fair play admitting it all & having the guts to sharing photos and all. Think I would have had a terrible smell in the vehicle We went through Mevagissy in a car, that was hair raising to say the least. Was praying we didn't meet anyone coming the other way. So hats off to you. (y)(y)(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
"vwalan, post: 1575023, member: 4148"]so you came in from gorran or portmellon . you will have passed the harbour lights pub a bit further up that road.
i was down that way sterday on my m,bike coast road all the way to portloe . lovely ride out

Hi Alan, & David & Ginny.
Loved the thread, david , & alan's comment's.
Our son moved down to Gorran Haven last year,we've been down to all those places, (luckily got satnav that works on vehicle size) not had a problem so far, some needed son's car to get too.
found a nice beach ( in my sons car between Penare & boswinger) only room for 4 cars to park & the drive to it , is mostly 6ft max for miles & very few passing places.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
"vwalan, post: 1575023, member: 4148"]so you came in from gorran or portmellon . you will have passed the harbour lights pub a bit further up that road.
i was down that way sterday on my m,bike coast road all the way to portloe . lovely ride out

Hi Alan, & David & Ginny.
Loved the thread, david , & alan's comment's.
Our son moved down to Gorran Haven last year,we've been down to all those places, (luckily got satnav that works on vehicle size) not had a problem so far, some needed son's car to get too.
found a nice beach ( in my sons car between Penare & boswinger) only room for 4 cars to park & the drive to it , is mostly 6ft max for miles & very few passing places.

thats hemmick . a few years ago before they put big rocks on the carpark you could squeeze ten vw or so campers there have tents on the beach ,it was the bbq capitol round here . take drinking water but washing water in the stream. great snorkelling around the rocks . justy like every where it changes . but like i say carry on down hugging the coast is some great places . have fun .

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I got stuck there with my

Honda 125, someone came the other way I had to push in a small gap in the houses.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Oooh, we remember that street well as we did exactly the same. Its amazing what you can get through with the mirrors in while holding your breath................

The TInca's

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back