The end of diesel? (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Reading Sunday Times, and other recent news articles.

By 2020 most bit cities will be banning diesel cars by 2020 due to No2 pollution and other stuff.

I don't like the idea that I am personally killing innocent pedestrians by driving my van around, but what am I to do?

Are really all mass murderers? Are all our vans going to be worthless in 5 years time? If we can buy a van then, how will it be powered?

Would be interested to know your expert views.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I would not lose sleep over this one as there is no way they could stop all the current vehicles in the world running on diesel within 5 years. If you had said by 2050 then perhaps that might happen.
Enjoy you MH until someone tells you there is no diesel left.............

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Do not worry,even as i type this,someone somewhere is perfecting the latest generation diesel engines.As for electric powered cars... They will come under scrutiny and be found lacking in some form due to power station emissions/ build ie. Atomic ?.Now that IS clean,for thousands of years LOL.
Worry more about "Convoys/conveyer" belt type ribbons of cars etc all moving along in line........ Makes a "Narrow boat" look like the last freedom.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
In all honesty I doubt they will ever ban diesel - what will happen is that technology will advance and clean up the burn - when you compare engines of 20 years ago and now they are so much cleaner. Can you imagine HGV's going back to petrol - Haulage costs will go through the roof 9 or 10 to the gallon will be more like 3 or 4 to the gallon. Petrol engines have advanced dramatically over the last 10 years giving small cars 70 + to the gallon.

Banning all diesel vehicles from town centres is not only unrealistic it is a money making scheme that will be adopted by all large councils. The loss of town centre income will generate more park and rides.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The replacement for a derv burner hasn't been invented yet, the power they provide is phenomenal. Every single truck on our roads has got one. Don't worry too much about it. It's the fault of the EU that has got VW in trouble and many more manufacturers too probably because they just can't make engines as clean as has been demanded so they lied about it as simple as that, just a lie.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Correct.
The latest scaremongering is just the warning.....
Prepare to be taxed !

All useless politicians need to keep justifying their pitiful worthless existance by raising more tax from the people who generate the means for them to feast off.
Let them get on with it and stay 2 steps ahead of them.

Diesel is here for a long time yet, and bio-diesel has a bright future.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I spoke to an RV owner yesterday and it is nor a very big one but petrol converted to gas he reckons on about 5-6 mpg on gas .
Cost a fortune to travel from Cambridge to Dover £90 and the same back.
Good old diesel I get 25-28 mpg on mine. The answer to pollution is to modify the fuel a bit more maybe making it 30 sec oil instead of 35 second and that would allow a bit more of a cleaner burn??

Deleted User
I spoke to an RV owner yesterday and it is nor a very big one but petrol converted to gas he reckons on about 5-6 mpg on gas .
Good old diesel I get 25-28 mpg on mine. The answer to pollution is to modify the fuel a bit more maybe making it 30 sec oil instead of 35 second and that would allow a bit more of a cleaner burn??

Methinks it might be just a tad more complicated than that:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Methinks it might be just a tad more complicated than that:)
Yes, just a little........

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Reading Sunday Times, and other recent news articles.
By 2020 most bit cities will be banning diesel cars by 2020 due to No2 pollution and other stuff.
I don't like the idea that I am personally killing innocent pedestrians by driving my van around, but what am I to do?
Are really all mass murderers? Are all our vans going to be worthless in 5 years time? If we can buy a van then, how will it be powered?
Would be interested to know your expert views.
Many thousands of motorhomes were deemed obsolete throughout the different stages of the London emission zone. Anyone living within the zone had to move or change their vans or be fined hundreds of pounds to use them.
I can see this being introduced throughout the UK in the next few years so yes your motorhome could become unsaleable.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Get an older van that runs great on bio fuel .mine went through with lower emissions this year .last year it went through having just returned from Europe with foreign diesel in it .
Mind you I keep getting asked for cod n chips when I park up :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The future is bright the future is bio...............:)
It can be one of the world's most unfriendly fuels.........

.....palm oil base oil transported from Malaysia and other countries by ships burning 50 tonnes a day of high sulphur residual fuels, plantations grown after rain forest razed and people displaced. Etc, etc........

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Get an older van that runs great on bio fuel .mine went through with lower emissions this year .last year it went through having just returned from Europe with foreign diesel in it .
Mind you I keep getting asked for cod n chips when I park up :D
Prefer my new common rail one, thanks.......... no chip fat or anything other than EN590, though......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Even the most up to date vans will run on all sorts of crap providing it ( the fuel ) is prep'd properly !
Well, they are Diesel engines, after all. Prefer to keep my warranty valid, though........

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I was referring to the post above mine from @Tea Bag.... a joke(y)

@Broken Link Removed I agree with all you said.

Deleted User
It can be one of the world's most unfriendly fuels.........

.....palm oil base oil transported from Malaysia and other countries by ships burning 50 tonnes a day of high sulphur residual fuels, plantations grown after rain forest razed and people displaced. Etc, etc........

Not to mention the Orangutans:(

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If anybody is daft enough to react to this latest scare, can I suggest that before flogging their motorhomes/vans/trucks and cars, they drain all their unwanted diesel into huge tanks which the rest of us can then use to fill up and travel for free, forever. And in return, I promise never to take my motorhome into a major city.........which is no hardship!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Funny old world, last week the news was that we are all living longer than ever before!!!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Noticed a new truck beside me in a jam last week on the Doncaster bypass. It was marked diesel/methane. I looked hard and on my side was a tank that looked like a gas tank.

Diesel+LPG burns cleaner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back