LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
I bought one of the satelite dish and receivers from Aldi last week and finally got round to trying it out i have read the thread on it but still stuck. I can get 78% signal but no quality at all. I have even set the dish up pointing the same way as one on my house. I have also plugger receiver into house dish and got 614 channels so can anyone help me as 2 of us spent 3 hours and no joy.

Gerry

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi
I bought one of the satelite dish and receivers from Aldi last week and finally got round to trying it out i have read the thread on it but still stuck. I can get 78% signal but no quality at all. I have even set the dish up pointing the same way as one on my house. I have also plugger receiver into house dish and got 614 channels so can anyone help me as 2 of us spent 3 hours and no joy.

Gerry

Sounds like you are not on satellite. I get 95% & 74% in the UK anything less wil not get a stable picture.

Could be on the wrong satellite, it's a very small distance between Astra 1 & Astra 2

Keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just noticed you are in Dumfries & this is what Ralf was talking about.

Make sure the dish is set at vertical. This is normal in Scotland. :Doh:

If you still have problems drive to Ecclefechan and I'm sure we can show you how to do it ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you are pointing at the wrong satellite you will still get a signal on your satfinder but your reciever wont understand the signal.

astra 2 is at 28.2 deg east and astra 1 is at 19.2 deg east so not much in it. and the elevation up there should be around 22degrees i think.

have a look at this website HERE

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The dish should be at a right angle to the ground (straight up and down (just about anyway)).

Your right, most common error when you first setup is to angle the dish skyward,

gerryhughes.

not sure if you have read this thread may help Link Removed

regards

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sinbad

hi sinbad,
just noticed your other post. (linked from this one) re: wrong sat

it had changed before i scanned.....i only have astra2 tuned into the reciever and set up as normal but no signal on the tv.....good signal on the finder.
never thought about it being set on the wrong one.
if i'd known i would have done as you said and swapped sats in the reciever.

i have all my usual channels in a favorites folder. :thumb:

dont think thats the problem here though as he gets a picture if connected to the house dish.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
hi sinbad,

dont think thats the problem here though as he gets a picture if connected to the house dish.:thumb:

Yea its just alignment, his house sky dish would be set correct and hence pick up the channels.
shows the receiver is working though::bigsmile:

john did you scan all sats?(you may get other channels to add to your fav)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Thanks for all the reply i thought i had it nearly vertical but i will try again. I might take you up on the offer of comming to see you keith. We are planning on going to Garliston this sat so if anyone is there with a sat system i will be chapping their door.

Gerry

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
sat system

we got one of those from maplins over a year ago still had no joy with it.friends said we will have it up and running in five minutes yes they had same problems and didnt get anything have even sent it back to maplins they said its working ok but still can t get it to work
:Angry:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I had all these problem at first, gave up several times, before me son (a satellite installer at one time) got it to work and since then, have got better and better at it, sometimes even getting a signal without any adjustment, do not give up anyone.

Ralph

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
we bought one of Aldi's sat systems, I did cheat by setting up the box first, (using our "Multimo" dish, then swapped over to new dish, it only took a few minutes to do, BUT the system showed really strong signal strength even after the wind blew the dish over!!!!!!!! The signal quality takes a little patience (tonight we have a good picture at 36% quality) on Astra 2.
Move the dish slowly as it takes quite a time to respond, I don't get on too well with the sat finder things, I think it's quicker getting SWMBO to shout at me from inside!!. Are you 200% sure that there is nothing blocking the "view" to the satelite?????????
The thing that we miss is the programe lists that we got used to on Sky (maybe they on ours, but we have not found them!!)
Good luck, we can assure you that it DOES work
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
BTW I don't remember seeing anything about setting the polarisation angle on the dish,
I don't know what it would be where you are, but I set mine at 7 o clock (standing in front of the dish and looking at it) once you get a picture you can fiddle with it.
Nigel

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
It is worth persevering for the buzz when you do crack it. Mine's a Lidl one but probably the same with different stickers. Great value! :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yea its just alignment, his house sky dish would be set correct and hence pick up the channels.
shows the receiver is working though::bigsmile:

john did you scan all sats?(you may get other channels to add to your fav)

no i havent yet.....

thought about doing it when i get my level parking place back when the guy comes for the caravan on sunday.
its a bugger setting the dish when the vans on a two plane slope...down at the back and down on the left.

are there many english speaking FTA channels on astra 1 and hotbird ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As others have said, it is a matter of getting used to it.

For some reason - probably that I'm reading the compass wrongly - I always seem to start with the dish pointed too close to south and have to move it round further east. Then, when I think I'm on Astra 2 it turns out I'm on Astra 1 and it needs a kick further east again to set up properly.

There is an audible signal from the box but not usually a lot of use when you're outside the van, so we normally use the Jill shouting at me method of accuracy verification.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are there many english speaking FTA channels on astra 1 and hotbird ?[/QUOTE}

from memory

BBC world news
CNN News
Aljezera news
Men and Motors
True Movies 1 & 2
Euro news

All the satellites with listings

KingOfSat - European Satellite Zapping & Directory

or

DigitalSatUK

im sure this isnt a full list but i already get M+M and true movies1 + 2 on astra 2.
not really interested in the news progs.....BBC and ITV news is good enough for me.:thumb:

not really worth the time and trouble tuning it in.:winky:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
no i havent yet.....

thought about doing it when i get my level parking place back when the guy comes for the caravan on sunday.
its a bugger setting the dish when the vans on a two plane slope...down at the back and down on the left.

are there many english speaking FTA channels on astra 1 and hotbird ?

quite a few movie channels::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Also reality progs:thumb:

you may notice this is astra 19.2E. fav are mix of channels picked up from all sats::bigsmile:

Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
satellite dish

just checked the elevation for dumfries is 21 degrees. so if your dish is one of the suitcase type, they normally have an offset angle of 26 to 27 degrees.
so it follows that the dish should be pointing slightly down instead of vertical.
i get a great picture with 76% signal strength.
but have to agree its probably the alignment (angle that's wrong)

let the force be with you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone know whether these dishes can pick up signals in the north of Scotland. I have the Lidl version and assumed that I couldn't get a signal cos I need a bigger dish - it could be that I am just failing to line it up properly but I don't want to spend hours trying this if there is no point.:Doh:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Does anyone know whether these dishes can pick up signals in the north of Scotland. I have the Lidl version and assumed that I couldn't get a signal cos I need a bigger dish - it could be that I am just failing to line it up properly but I don't want to spend hours trying this if there is no point.:Doh:
should work ok elevation 19.6deg mag 147 deg

click here and put you postcode and sat to see detials

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back