Do you get more mpg with or without cruise control? (1 Viewer)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Having just done a few hundred miles on the motorway with out MH, I was trying to get an optimum speed to get best mpg, however, I could get at least 10percent more mpg without using cruise control , perhaps this is normal and cruise control is just to give the right foot a rest?
Excuse this post if you think I am having a senior moment and wasting your time.
Etap

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
dont know the answer, but I love Cruise Control because it maintains a steady speed up hill and down so you never creep over the limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I had it on my RV and loved it.. particularly good on French Autoroutes..

but I used to think it was only feasible with an auto gearbox..

how good is it with a manual box.. ?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Dont know don't care CC is one of the best aftermarket accessories we've fitted to our van.
Seriously probably a fraction less if you could drive at a set speed without CC but who the hell can do that. Mostly the speed creeps up if not you spend all your time with eyes glued to the speedo.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had it on my RV and loved it.. particularly good on French Autoroutes..

but I used to think it was only feasible with an auto gearbox..

Mines on a manual Jim as said above a great accessory especially for us on our long trips.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Cruise control does not give the best economy simply because when you come to a long incline it keeps increasing the fuel to maintain the pre set speed..
a fuel concious driver would let the speed ease off rather than try to maintain it.

exactly as Jim said! a good careful driver will always improve on the MPG to a van on cruise control,
but I always use it for long journeys and roadwork speed cameras, on hilly sections I just drive it manually,

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I am sure that my MPG is better using the cruise control than not using it. My present van is an automatic, the previous one was manual. In both vehicles the accelerator movement is so small to maintain a set speed I think it would take a very sensitive right foot to make such minute adjustments. (And a sensitive eye to watch the speedometer.) I agree with Forestboy that CC is one of the best aftermarket accessories - in fact I think it is THE best.

Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When we collected our 1.7 ton caravan from Sheffield i drove all the way back as far as York on cruise control........after York the A64 is a cart track.

18mpg average.

I expect around 23 to 25mpg off cruise.

The problem with cruise, it will do anything it can to maintain the preset speed....which usually means increased fuel delivery and downchanging, with the resulting increase in revs, with an auto box.
Vastly increased fuel delivery to the point of HAVING to downchange with a manual box.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think its widely accepted that when on cruise MPG drops slightly. But we are talking one or two percent.

I just cant be arsed to worry about that but I love cruise control. I would not have a vehicle without it.

It works fine on a manual box it just means touching the "resume" button if you make a gear change or touch the brakes.

Deleted User
Just had ours on for a cpl of hours on the French D roads, set her to 90kph and no worries whatsoever from the old Gendarmes.

I reckon it uses more fuel on steep uphill sections (maintaining speed)

But probably gets some mpg back on downhills when the inevitable speed creep up is avoided.

Ours is manual and works fine (if it's a really steep hill, do the sensible thing and knock of the cc)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I find that I use more fuel with cruise control but less if I use the speed limiter function, as that gives the advantage of manual speed control while still ensuring the speed limit is not exceeded. A lot of cruise controls don't have this function though. My motorhome has but my car only has cruise control.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

It is brilliant as long as you have a torque'y engine to begin with, if you have a smaller/busier engine then you'll probably need to change down on the steep hills cancelling the benefit of Cruise.

Those who get better fuel consumption usually achieve this because of the type of road you use Cruise on. i.e long straight higher speed roads which quite naturally would give better fuel consumption anyway.

I retro fitted it to my last Mo Ho and if it wasn't already on my Merc Auto I would fit it again.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Supposedly you get better mpg with cc, but in reality you don't. But it's good on long journeys in clear traffic.

Just be careful when travelling at night using it, you fall asleep and the MH keeps on going.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Use our CC whenever suitable, motorways etc.

Particularly useful for observing speed limits especially as we are over 3.5tonnes.

When using Autoroutes in France, where traffic is usually light, it's a delight to be able to relax and just cruise along watching the scenery go by.

It also helps avoid aches in the shin or calf caused by keeping the foot tilted in one position for long periods.

Does it give better or worse mpg ? I neither know nor care but I, for one, would not be without it.(y)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I haven't got cc in the campervan yet buy want it.

In the car I 'can' get better fuel economy with cruise off but in reality I don't. I lose focus and find myself slowing down behind traffic rather than looking ahead for the lane change, then I lose focus on clear roads and find myself going too fast for economic driving. With cruise on I maintain the steady speed and focus on traffic so I get better lane changes and need to slow down less often meaning I maintain a much more steady speed over the course of a journey.

Reactions: DBK

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
As a HGV driver in the UK we had to attend "awareness courses" as part of the driver CPC certification and the chappie there did say that the use of the cruise control as well as reducing stress, improves consumption. Have used it on many vehicles over many years but could not say "personally" but certainly agree on the value of it on long journeys ... however, as previously noted do be aware, if you fall asleep there is no foot coming off the pedal, you keep going and if you hit anything it will be with "power on" makes a hell of a mess

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Thank you all for your input, it appears from replys that cruise control helps in other ways rather than saving fuel.
I realise that some people are not interested in the savings but just to let you know, I set the cc on 58mph and then after 70 miles turned it off and increased the speed by 5mph ( as near as I could)and got 13percent more MPG on manual for the next 90 miles, maybe not a scientific test ( although more useful than the EU test for new vehicles)
Anyway thanks again.
Etap

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Use cruise control as much as possible. However, if on a steep motorway incline - typically in France, but could be anywhere - then just knock it off and let the speed drop as going up hill. At the top start to regain speed going down the other side and switch it back on.

As the majority have said, CC is unlikely to save fuel compared to the right foot of an experienced driver seeking to enhance mpg. But at the end of the day the cruise control just makes for a much more pleasant and relaxed journey, which is what is most important to us.

Mike

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I get better consumption without cruise control, as stated above the control does not 'see' hills, I change down to a more appropriate gear and ease of as required. Manage 31mpg on a tankful most of the time, that's with a 2.3 130 multijet.

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
Great for swapping drivers without stopping

Join us or log in to post a reply.