Where to go in the school holidays? (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I am, alas, tied to going away only in the school holidays in my MH, weekends excepted.

Looking ahead to next year and the main summer break (26 July - 5 September) I fancy taking the family for the first time across to mainland Europe. No real way of avoiding the school holidays there - the German ones are at much the same time, and as for the French they break up at the start of July and don't go back until start of September!

So - where would people suggest to go? Bear in mind it's a family holiday, with 3 kids (5, 9 & 11). Aires/Stellplatz might be OK for an "en-route" stop but we're unlikely to be able to get there until late in the afternoon (so getting a space might be difficult) and the kids always want outside space to ride bikes round and play games, so campsites are likely to be a better option.

Needs to be somewhere with things to do and go out and explore, just a beach and nothing else is not enough. We tend to go out in the van most days.

2 weeks for definite, 3 possibly, depending on my work situation. Will look to move site 2 or 3 times once there to new areas, so staying on any one site for 4-5 days at a time.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to France or Germany. Our past touring has been just myself & Mrs F on a motorbike, before kids, so rather different! My only thought so far is Southern Germany and Austria, the areas around Berchtesgaden and Grossglockner, which we've done before many years ago.

I have toyed with the idea of going across at Easter, but it's a bit early and I suspect still rather cold - 24 March - 11 April.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can only speak for France. I stayed close to Pyla Dune---campsites were busy but pitches were available. Big choice of sites in the area, all seemed to have pools, possibly something like mini golf. Anywhere in France that has a lake will have canoe/kayak hire. This site might help. http://www.franceloc.co.uk/camping_enfants-france-recherche-EN.html
In the Dordogne area, and further down in the Ariege there are lots of caves to explore, historic sites were there are activities for kids---remember seeing how and arrow making, fire making and "cave painting" at one town in the Ariege.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We stayed at an ACSI site Berchtes... I think it was called Winkl Landthal will look it up later.Cycle trails through trees in the area,(I only walked the growler) so don't know how far they go. There are mini bus trips from the site to Saltzburg? some music man lived there,and the Salt Caves?.Hitlers,"Eagles Nest" is close by,and there is provision for m/home parking there . Restaurant on site,clean and tidy,would go again.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If your staying put for a few days/a week I would deffo go for a site with beach access and a pool for the children. Over here we google something like pubs with campsites or suchlike, I'm sure you must be able to do that for mainland Europe.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I can only speak of my experiences of France. As you say the French school hols start at the beginning of July but the grown ups mostly swap work for holidays in August.
We find in our village that there's roughly twice as many visitors in August compared to July. A lot of French school kids go on outward bound type of holidays in July as ma and pa are working.
So you should find campsites far less crowded in July than August.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Not true for Brittany - last 3 years August quieter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Can only speak for France. I stayed close to Pyla Dune---campsites were busy but pitches were available. Big choice of sites in the area, all seemed to have pools, possibly something like mini golf. Anywhere in France that has a lake will have canoe/kayak hire. This site might help. http://www.franceloc.co.uk/camping_enfants-france-recherche-EN.html
In the Dordogne area, and further down in the Ariege there are lots of caves to explore, historic sites were there are activities for kids---remember seeing how and arrow making, fire making and "cave painting" at one town in the Ariege.
Thanks for link, don't often stay on campsites but good to have reference like this saved to lk up if needed- looks clear and informative site with good search filters -thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back