Calais again (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Broken Link Removed Calais today, sat 3/10/15. Not nice.
This was taken from another site...........

I travelled back home today after a 2 week jaunt over to easternance. Had a lovely 2 weeks and a few days in Paris.

I wasn't prepared for getting into the Ferry Port.

At 0930 I travelled down the main autoroute towards the port with a constant flow of others. My motorhome was loaded with two kids ( 11 weeks and 3.5 yrs old) and my wife. Kayak on the roof, bikes locked on the rear rack.

The traffic started to slow between the last two junctions , just after the old Eastenders Wine and Beer company building.

To my horror I saw my TV SCREEN, Playing the daily news out through my windscreen. A hord of men walking slowly down the ever slowing motorway.

Doors locked. Windows up.

The group at first started trying to get into the horse box in front of me, really viciously trying to break the locks. Some of the group walked past me and centered their attention on an Irish artic, even standing in his way to make him stop. The driver just kept moving slowly in his crawler gear, so the mob decided to pull anything and everything from behind his cab, under his trailer and get his refer doors open.
At this point, my back door gets pinged, the wife screams, and I have intruders!

I just out my seat, to the back of the van to see a man trying to steal my bottle of coolant (leaking engine! ) .
I recover my coolant and get back in the van locking the door, at which point I see people running to the rear of my van.....

We try to keep moving but I realise I'm now carrying some extra passengers ( the wife's screams as she looks at them through the heki bubble).

My drivers windows are now being bashed into to get my bottle of drink in the cup holder, and every single person past me is trying the doors, windows, locker hatches.

Slowly work out to drive really slowly but closely to the Irish truck my right hand drive to his left hand drive, until we reach the road block. An orange truck strap was being used to stop everyone on the road and backed up with cones. The group,were allowing cars past, and taking a few seconds to get it ratcheted back up taught. I decided that I was off, so floored it, aimed at the man in the road and his cones and sent them flying.

By now I was LIVID.

At the start of the new fencing stood a group of police officers and a van.

I stopped and told them I had people on the roof. Drive on Monsieur !

So I did, for a hundred metres or so, stopped and now incensed, climbed my roof to remove my stow aways. The first decided my angry rankings were sufficient to jump, the second decided he was still going to try and hide in my kayak!

A slight scuffle and a few punches later, my last visitor was removed, by which point the Police man had arrived and told me to stop hitting him!

A check of the roof box found no more visitors, but they had broken one of the box locks and stolen some securing straps.

The crows near my van where very pleasant chanting " **** you, **** you **** you" repeatedly.

I drive on up the road to where another police was parked and I get waved on, past a few more hundred immigrants walking inside the secure area!

A few people ask in the queue if we are ok, and my 3 year old, still shaken from the experience continues to ask about the bad men.

Get to the port and there is a big queue. Border checks reveal that there are numerous intruders in the port area, that the Chunnel is closed after a late night invasion, and the in coming vessels are UN able to un-load due to the immigrants on the quayside.

It took my the majority of the crossing and a large coffee to calm me down.

I'm 38 and a decent sized lad, enough to think twice about when angry. What would happen to others not as aggressive / impulsive ?

When waiting in the port we queued up behind a German registered caravan. They were sticking their rear wind shut after it had been ripped open curtain torn and 6 people got in. They were panic stricken.

I hear stories about poor this and poor that. The people I encountered were not weak, starving people. They were fit and strong young aggressive men forcing their hands, mob rule style to get into the UK. There were no women or children, just young men, dressed for action.

I work long and hard hours to pay for my family holidays and these actions are not right. There isn't too much damage to my van, but the reputation of Calais had gone to the dogs. I've written to both the ferry company and town council for Calais, and replied to comments on a BBC WEB story about the Eurotunnel, but they don't want to know.

I wanted to share my interesting experience with you guys and remind you to lock up, close up and don't have anything valuable on offer.

My dash cam recorded it, but I left it running and after 10 minutes it wipes itself.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
And people are running food and clothing banks for these scum,and doing trips out to calais to give it to them.. its time the army was sent in with the guns.
How they can be allowed to control a main road beggars belief.

it must be awful for the kids to see.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I can only repeat what I have said in other related posts..

Until the migrant issue is 'sorted' (which won't be any time soon) I won't be using the Dover- Calais / Dover - Dunkirk ferry routes or Tunnel. Had enough of it in July when we went by Le Shuttle.. There are plenty of alternative crossings to Europe...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
no disrespect to BillyS but I think thats a work of fiction

it's been reported here.. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/migrants-...cross-channel-071413519--finance.html#GkSitRT

migrants also targeted the port in a separate incident on Saturday, attempting to jump on lorries queuing on the approach road to the port, a Reuters photographer on site said.

Police intervened to prevent the group, which a police source put at least 300, from entering the port.

The post on Facts is dated, Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Calais today, sat 3/10/15. Not nice.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not belittling this post, but it's not another gassing thread is it, not the one it's happened to but from somewhere else, quite a few went over this last day or two , none of them reported anything similar.
Edit, sorry I see it's already been mentioned while I was typing

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry but that reads like a cheap fiction story have no intention of being scared by that rubbish.
We'll be coming through in a couple of days and staying on Calais Aire I will report the truth.
Been in Croatia 6 weeks and haven't been murdered by immigrants in fact haven't seen any and fully expect to get home unscathed.
Europeans we talk to on our travels laugh at Brits they can't believe we're so scared of The Bogeymen.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
it's been reported here.. https://uk.news.yahoo.com/migrants-...cross-channel-071413519--finance.html#GkSitRT

migrants also targeted the port in a separate incident on Saturday, attempting to jump on lorries queuing on the approach road to the port, a Reuters photographer on site said.

Police intervened to prevent the group, which a police source put at least 300, from entering the port.

The post on Facts is dated, Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Calais today, sat 3/10/15. Not nice.

Morning Jim,

Im not trying to sugest there wasnt big trouble, becasue there obviosly was, my problem is with the fisrt hand motorhome divers report, BillyS only read it and posted it lets us know it was there, but I have difficaulty beliving the motorhome drivers writings happened to him.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Having crossed a few times this year I have to say we have not had a problem (yes seen the groups of people on the road side and at roundabouts) as many on here have already reported.

Whilst @BillyS posted this fact or fiction I tend to lean towards fiction.

Having said that I do hope it is fiction as would not wish that sort of stress on anyone or their family.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The first thing that jumps out is why was he in the lorry queue in the first place, why were they trying to steal a bottle of antifreeze and a cup of water(n)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This was only yesterday, yet he's posted two letters and an email and expected a reply, and he has conveniently let his dash cam delete it's self:rolleyes:(n):(

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I made that journey several times as we had a couple of days around the Calais area before coming home. You can see a Policeman with binoculars at the edge of the jungle and where the double fence starts, about a mile to the docks. There was also another where the junction is just behind me. The migrants would need to travel a mile within the fenced area or enter in a break at the junction for the town/port. I saw many Policemen on every corner/roundabout.
The migrants are also living in town opposite the lighthouse alongside the lorry depot!
Also a bit further on in the entrance to the church. I wonder how the people in the houses nearby must feel, the filth and squalor must be a health hazard to all?
The only ones I saw moving around were sat one morning looking longingly at the ferry heading to England. As OP, all young healthy men, they did not look starved or in poor health.
I have to say the Police were evident and there were less migrants moving about. I saw the area where the news showed the fence down at the tunnel entrance. I have to say I noted a double fence, CCTV and the removal of any trees or bushes when I was there on 17/18th September
What can the authorities actually do? shooting or arresting for criminal damage doesn't seem to be one of their options. May I suggest electrify the fence and it is then up to those who wish to risk electrification? Their choice, not barbaric or uncaring?
Jungle.jpg
Phare.jpg
FOUR.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OK>.. we don't know if the original post on Facts is true or a work of fiction.. or perhaps an embellishment of the facts..

The poster said it happened at

"The traffic started to slow between the last two junctions , just after the old Eastenders Wine and Beer company building. "

not at the ferry terminal.. so vehicles would be 'mixed' .. not segregated into different queues..

What we DO know is that there were attacks on trucks "attempting to jump on lorries queuing on the approach road to the port,"

so, it doesn't matter whether it were lorries or motorhomes.. or both... the illegals were there breaking the law.. and threatening drivers..

This is a report from a year ago.. showing illegals trying to gain access to motorhomes..

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-25/motorhomes-targeted-by-calais-migrants/

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...s-in-france/story-fFFL6eLSF46uvw3nq8kUgK.html

can only repeat.. I won't be using this crossing, ferry or tunnel, until the illegals have been removed from Calais..

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We crossed Dover/Dunkerque on 6th September, and back again on the 26th, and didn't witness large groups of immigrants or refugees, nor experienced any trouble whatsoever.

They only deviation we made to our trip as a result of the refugee crisis, was to backtrack at Pfronten, rather than risk crossing the Austrian border to Fussen, which Germany had closed the day before.

Regards,

Jock.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We have being backwards and forwards to France, vie Dover /Calais like yoyo's this year ,always stop the night going and coming home on the front at Calais ,We have never had a problem ,never hardly see any migrants ,There are plenty on the far side at the new camp at the end of the motorway as you approach the docks ,but they have never being a problem to ourselves .But we have not being there when the TV and Press reporters are no doubt encouraging the migrants to give them a story . I am not suggesting there is not a problem but i do think there is a lot of scaremongering going on .Roll on next week for our next trip .lol.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
jungle-jpg.78036

I'm intrigued - what's the white square matting used for, rattles?

Brian

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I don't care if its true or untrue nothing will stop us from going on our winter trip in 4 weeks , its been a long contract this year without a break so I will fit a flame thrower if I have too :):D.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
jungle-jpg.78036

I'm intrigued - what's the white square matting used for, rattles?

Brian

Well yes to stop rattles in the back but not tidy in front today. The anti-slip mats are usually left to right and we lay our iphones on them.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Well yes to stop rattles in the back but not tidy in front today. The anti-slip mats are usually left to right and we lay our iphones on them.

Thanks. As a solo traveller I usually drop everything on the passenger seat, which subsequently ends up on the floor or the door side pockets. Despite hours of training mutley will not pick them up, unless it's my ham sandwich. I'll try some anti-slip mat in future.

Your pictures have put my mind at ease, as opposed to the OP, off to Europe at the end of this month for 10 days, doesn't look to bad, although I am going through the tunnel.

Brian

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Well i find some of the posts made about the OP to be a little offensive, basically calling him a liar !
When we went over to France recently we saw a hell of a lot more migrants than what is being shown here, the traffic that was heading to the port of Calaise was at a standstill for a couple of miles, and migrants were sitting and walking along the roadside barriers as far as the eye could see, every few hundred meters were French Police vans, and come to think of it i too never seen any women/children, they were all young men, and if these people are getting that desperate to get over here into the UK then i would certainly believe this would happen, does anyone not watch videos of this on Youtube and the docs on the TV ? there was one i recorded on off Sky recently and there were hardly any women/children there, mainly young fit healthy men - which begs the question: if they love their homeland as much as they all say they do - why dont they stop and fight, there is alot more of them that of the enemy !
PS: On our return to Calaise we did see very few migrants but it was dark at 6am

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Well i find some of the posts made about the OP to be a little offensive, basically calling him a liar !
When we went over to France recently we saw a hell of a lot more migrants than what is being shown here, the traffic that was heading to the port of Calaise was at a standstill for a couple of miles, and migrants were sitting and walking along the roadside barriers as far as the eye could see, every few hundred meters were French Police vans, and come to think of it i too never seen any women/children, they were all young men, and if these people are getting that desperate to get over here into the UK then i would certainly believe this would happen, does anyone not watch videos of this on Youtube and the docs on the TV ? there was one i recorded on off Sky recently and there were hardly any women/children there, mainly young fit healthy men - which begs the question: if they love their homeland as much as they all say they do - why dont they stop and fight, there is alot more of them that of the enemy !
PS: On our return to Calaise we did see very few migrants but it was dark at 6am

hey hey TC cool down, no text that I read (or posted) called the o/p a liar, however I will stand up and be counted as the first to question the truth of what the o/p REPOSTED, that my fellow funster IMHO is a work of fiction that could win the Pulitzer prise, why it was posted (on the darkside) in the first place is beyond my ken, it could be a wanna be writer, it could be politically minded, or just mischief.
Just for calcification the o/p was not the author of the body of text, he just reposted what he thought should be brought to our collective notice. He has already said he does not know if it was fiction or fact.
I’m sure many of use have seen people milling around the motorways, maybe a few have seen people trying to slow Lorries and get in the back.

But I have never meet anybody who knows that motor home on the move have been targeted by “people” trying to break in for the sake of pinching a drink, some coolant?

Why would a driver get out of the drivers seat of a moving vehicle with small children in it, go outside to remonstrate with a howling mob just to reclaim a bottle of water.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
It all depends on what you want to believe. Some are desperate to inflame and will stop at nothing. Not saying that it didn't happen, just that there are huge numbers of fanciful stories doing the rounds, usually originating from the far right, and I suspect this is one.

Dick

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
no disrespect to BillyS but I think thats a work of fiction
I watched a Sky news report one morning in early septeber whilst in the UK, that showed them attacking a motorhome with 4' wooden poles. Why people don't run them down I'll never understand?
Not belittling this post, but it's not another gassing thread is it, not the one it's happened to but from somewhere else, quite a few went over this last day or two , none of them reported anything similar.
Edit, sorry I see it's already been mentioned while I was typing

Going out is far different than returning. Having said that my wife insisted on using tunnel for our return & as I had 2 choices on alighting , back to Dunkirk / across or cross country from Calais , which I chose. This took me on a meandering route all around the slums of Calais port /tunnel & there were migrants all over the place. There were plenty of Gendarmes about though.

It looks like the tactic they use is to slow you down by standing in the road.

I see a solution to this and it involves an accessory mostly found on vans in the 90s!

Broken Link Removed

I was always taught back in the 70's to aim for anyone not on a crossing. :LOL:

Still would now. If they are in the road I'd be attempting to get as many as possible.

All bull bars are legal providing that they have the EU homologation sticker on them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It all depends on what you want to believe. Some are desperate to inflame and will stop at nothing. Not saying that it didn't happen, just that there are huge numbers of fanciful stories doing the rounds, usually originating from the far right, and I suspect this is one.

Dick

Quote: from the OP.
. An orange truck strap was being used to stop everyone on the road and backed up with cones..
UnQuote:

see the strap as described in the first video.. is this just a fanciful story ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...orm-Channel-Tunnel.html#v-6811899546905391893

Aug 12, 2012
SOUTH LAKES
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Iclass 740
Exp
since 2010
I can verify that a lot of what was reported by the OP was in fact true.

We returned yesterday in our car, DFDS 11am sailing. Traffic was backed up to Junction 3, a group of about 60 or so were all over the road, trying the back doors on all the lorries. I saw 2 of them jump up to a cab window, banging on his window and pushed his mirrors in. Driver was then blind to what was going on behind him. Same happened to my car oddly but another of the migrants pulled them out again.

The hold up was caused by a ratchet cargo strap which had been tighten across the road from the Armco barriers at about 3 feet high. Beyond that, cones had been placed across the road. Migrants were running a mock believe me. Cargo strap removed and we picked up speed again to Junction 2 where we stopped again. A lot more migrants here, same thing happened, all of them trying to get in the trailers. There was a police presence but mainly this was concentrated inside the fenced area.

The fence was a pointless farce to me. Lots more migrants inside the area but because of the fence they could not disperse and so clogged the roads even more so a third gang had the opportunity to enter the trailers.

Just a point about the migrants. Young, fit, well fed, well clothed, mobile phones and there was in fact quite a few young women with them.

This account is from the horses mouth. Got stuck in the tunnel late July, early August then this. It's Hull Zeebrugge from now on, sick of it. Anarchy is alive and well in Calais.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back