Free Member
Oct 2, 2015
Banbury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have never driven an automatic before but am going to look at an automatic auto trail Navajo, just wondered what other people's experiences of driving an automatic are and what any negatives or positives are. Thanks.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Have never driven an automatic before but am going to look at an automatic auto trail Navajo, just wondered what other people's experiences of driving an automatic are and what any negatives or positives are. Thanks.

No negatives, only a much more relaxing and less stressful drive. (IMO)

Dave

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've had three vans, all manual, but a couple of years ago when we last changed our car, we bought an automatic diesel, 2ltr. I hadn't owned an automatic car since 1980 when I had a 3 litre Capri which drank petrol at an alarming rate (around 18-20mpg). The car we have changed my mind about autos. Mpg over 50 and so easy to drive. So when we do change this vanit will be for one with an automatic box, no question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Automatic, no question.

Positives

Relaxing, comfortable, hassle-free, stress-free, less tiring. So much easier on hilly going (Highlands), navigating through fiddly unknown town centres, and in stop-start traffic.
We have Comfortmatic which, if you want to use it this way, can easily be knocked up or down a gear, tipped into manual when you want to stay in (eg) first gear around campsites, or into the "UP" function which means it holds down a gear on steep upward hills.

Negatives

Not found any yet!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Although every vehicle I presently have is manual I would swap them all for auto's in a flash-does not bother me which I drive but guess what camp I would go for ;):)
terry

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Both cars are Automatic one proper torque converter one robotised manual with auto clutch, in a motorhome I would only have a full manual or proper torque converter auto.

Martin

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We only have autos, cars and MH's, total coverts and very pleased with all, would not buy a manual unless very special

Years ago you really needed a bigger engine for an auto to work properly, I think that still applies possibly more so for MHs, so IMO over 2500cc only :)

For all the positive comments here, when you search online as soon as you select auto only the choice plummets still appears that most built are manuals by some proportion (y) enjoy your search :)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Steve can only drive automatics ( no left leg). But they are great. Much more relaxing to drive, especially in towns and heavy traffic. I do enjoy the occasional foray into manuals ( because I can) but if on my own, I would still look at automatics.

Reactions: Qzx
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
tuck your left leg out of the way just drive with the right and you will have no problems. I have a merc sprinter based 416 with the sprintshift gearbox and love it to bits. Landrover is manual, but the van is so relaxing to drive.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I have a VW T4 automatic that we use as a daily drive, fantastic van but the autos are not sought after anywhere near as much as the manuals. My experience is that mpg is not as good as a manual, it revs higher before it changes gear, but apart from that it's great for driving around town, saves all the constant gear changing, but on the motorway I would sooner have a manual, the response when you put your foot down is not as quick as changing down a gear when going past another vehicle. I did a fair bit of research before I bought our vw and many autos have died going around hilly areas because of the constant gear changing, it's also important to change the gearbox oil at regular intervals and fit a cooler if you're thinking of towing. I thought I'd just mention these points as you don't mention the age of the vehicle, obviously if it's brand new you won't have the same concerns as if you were buying second hand
Good luck
(y)

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have a VW T4 automatic
To be fair, that must be the worst auto box ever produced by any manufacturer in recent years. :D:( The T4 manual is streets better - I had cause to drive both a few years ago, sometimes on the same day. I rather like automatics in general, but I really didn't like that one.

The current VW DSG auto is a very different animal, as are the robotised manual boxes fitted to many modern vans. There are now three distinct gearbox types - traditional manual, traditional torque converter autos & then the various varieties of automatic clutch robotised manuals, of which the Fiat Comfortmatic is the commonest among motorhomes.

Each type require a slightly different driving style to get the best out of them. If you change from one to another, you have to be prepared to learn how best to drive it, otherwise you are probably better to stick to what you are used to.

Upvote 0

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
My old Hymer is auto, easy to drive. I do carry a good set of jump leads though, just in case :)

Upvote 0

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Does anybody have any experience of the Merc semi-auto (2001)? I drove one the other day(deposit placed)... it was enjoyable in manual but a bit "all or nothing"in auto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We have a 2002 Fiat 2.8 (Laika) with auto ... brilliant ... I am a lorry driver and have driven both manual and auto cars/busses/lorries and artics and given a choice autos all the way these days. The problems with the auto changing too much on hills etc can easily be overcome by using the manual override and holding the auto in which ever gear you prefer. Maybe not the fastest gearbox on take off .... but eh .... it's a MH not a racing car .. kick down should work well for overtaking if the set up is well configured .. MPG just done a check on ours and we are getting 23/24 mpg fully loaded to 3.5 tonnes .... as with everything it is reflected on the size of the right foot ..... pedal hard down ... glug... glug ... cruise control is also very good at returning good mpg

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi i drive about 30k miles per year and my last four cars have been auto I would never go back to a manual if your stuck in traffic just us brake on/off and let the vehicle move slowly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Q

Qzx

Free Member
Oct 2, 2015
Banbury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone, your replies have been very helpful, have just had a test drive and although appeared a bit slow starting off round a round about (which I am sure I will get used to) and trying to use the invisible clutch, I found the drive okay etc.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
To be fair, that must be the worst auto box ever produced by any manufacturer in recent years. :D:( The T4 manual is streets better - I had cause to drive both a few years ago, sometimes on the same day. I rather like automatics in general, but I really didn't like that one.

The current VW DSG auto is a very different animal, as are the robotised manual boxes fitted to many modern vans. There are now three distinct gearbox types - traditional manual, traditional torque converter autos & then the various varieties of automatic clutch robotised manuals, of which the Fiat Comfortmatic is the commonest among motorhomes.

Each type require a slightly different driving style to get the best out of them. If you change from one to another, you have to be prepared to learn how best to drive it, otherwise you are probably better to stick to what you are used to.

Each to their own isn't it, I've had no issue at all with mine, I've had both manual and auto and other than less mpg's the van is easier to drive, I would also rather put my trust in a vw component than a fiat, also a shame they couldn't build a T5 as well as the T4's.....

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I'm pleased to hear that yours has been trouble free. The one I drove was in a high mileage minibus & it seemed to spend a lot of time in the workshop. :(

As you say, easier to drive round town, but the gearing never seemed right out of town. The five speed manual seemed more relaxing on the open road. The T4 is a great van though - very precise. I drove manual & auto minibuses & owned a T4 camper (manual). Loved driving all of them - my current Fiat Ducato Comfortmatic has many advantages but still isn't as nice to drive, even though it's more comfortable.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
appeared a bit slow starting off round a round about (which I am sure I will get used to)
:D:D
You noticed! :)

Yes, you do get used to it. Can be a bit heart-stopping at first, especially if you are used to nipping into a gap in the traffic! The other benefits are worth it though. It makes for a very relaxed driving style, which suits a leisure vehicle.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Thanks everyone, your replies have been very helpful, have just had a test drive and although appeared a bit slow starting off round a round about (which I am sure I will get used to) and trying to use the invisible clutch, I found the drive okay etc.

I'm a big fan of autos, although current cars are all manual.

Autos do need a different driving technique and I found that for a quicker getaway, when stopped use your left foot on the brake and apply a bit of gas with the right (but don't hold the position for too long!) .

Then, when you want to go, kind of hit the throttle more as you release your left foot from the brake. This way you avoid that dreaded" dead" spot as you pull away.

Probably find folk who will tell you not to do this as it damages the car, but in my personal experience of many cars (all German apart from Jag) two to three years of this technique/ 30,000 miles does no harm.

Good luck with your choice, whatever you choose.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm a big fan of autos, although current cars are all manual.

Autos do need a different driving technique and I found that for a quicker getaway, when stopped use your left foot on the brake and apply a bit of gas with the right (but don't hold the position for too long!) .

Then, when you want to go, kind of hit the throttle more as you release your left foot from the brake. This way you avoid that dreaded" dead" spot as you pull away.

Probably find folk who will tell you not to do this as it damages the car, but in my personal experience of many cars (all German apart from Jag) two to three years of this technique/ 30,000 miles does no harm.

Good luck with your choice, whatever you choose.
That technique is fine for a torque converter automatic but I wouldn't do it with a robotised 'box like the comfortmatic and a heavy MH. Recipe for a burnt out clutch, assuming the electronics would even allow you to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Only ever had an automatic once and never again !
It was a car not a van and it was such a uninspired driving experience,changed gear when It wanted too instead of when I wanted it too
When you wanted to boot it and overtake it would decide to change up half way through the manoeuvre and drop the revs.
Driving is fun and if you want to feel part of the experience and want to be involved a manual box is essential.

Vlad

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Auto... But only if its a conventional torque converter one. Would not have one of those robotised things as a gift..

Driving an auto is as said above very relaxing. But only if there is a big enough engine in front of it.. The 2.2 Autos in Motor Homes struggles as the engine is just to small. MPG suffers badly as a result ..

Its not just about the drive it also has to be about fueling/ running costs..

I drove a virtually new Fiat with the comfortmatic box and thought it was hideous. Rolled back when in gear. Slow ponderous change that was jerky. Slow vehicle as the 2.2 150BHP engine was under powered.

Google Comfortmatic box and see the huge problems they are having with them .

Now put a nice big powerful engine in front of a normal torque converter box and you have a gem ..

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That technique is fine for a torque converter automatic but I wouldn't do it with a robotised 'box like the comfortmatic and a heavy MH. Recipe for a burnt out clutch, assuming the electronics would even allow you to do it.

Dont know how long ago it was but autos have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, we had an old Merc 30 years ago with 3 speeds plus low and we now have a 3 litre BMW with 8 speed and paddle shifts, stick it in sport and boy does it shift off the line even in the wet thanks to Xdrive.

Martin

Upvote 0

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Mine is a torque converter auto and the "lag" on set off soon becomes the norm and you quickly learn to allow for it, as said previously .... a different style of driving ... maybe easier accepted by those of us no longer in the "first flush" of youth or the restrictions on holiday periods when as much as possible is squashed into as little time as possible.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back