Storing everything when you travel? (1 Viewer)

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
As you may see from my other thread just posted, we need to change our MH. The current van has a huge garage and everything goes into it, including a break apart mobility scooter, but the van we have chosen next has a perfect inner layout BUT almost no garage. So, a question for those with minimum external storage, how do you manage to store everything when travelling?

Thanks, Mary.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
One of the reasons we changed our van was because lack of external storage, we found it very difficult to have everything inside under the bed and jammed into every space possible in our previous van. There are a lot of things that are useful to have externally but very difficult when you dont have anywhere to put them. It wasnt the only reason we changed but definitely top on the list (other issues aside). I hope you manage ok as it can be very frustrating.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Wizbangs,
what moho have you chosen & what size is it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi Mary, so where are all John's toys going....then all the stuff for the dogs.....based on the last time I saw in your garage, perhaps a trailer :)
Sorry to hear to you are having to change the van, hope all ok
Odette & Norman

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Fidget, we are going for an Auto-Sleeper Burford Duo, if the finances can be met. It's a slightly longer van than our Rapido with a bigger overhang, but still built on the Merc chassis.

Ode and Norman, there's a couple of issues. The main one is sleep. I get pushed to the edge of the bed and I'm just unable to sleep well. Three days and I'm more than ready for home to be honest. The Duo has twin beds which we've had before. We both slept better and didn't disturb each other. Also we can't get out and walk about like we did, nor cope with the colder weather. So just as we could in our first van, it will be great to be able to look out of the large side windows with our feet up and watch the world go by.

As to all the dog stuff, we are thinking of going for a Quest 6 sided instant screen house. That way we can be set up in moments, with no more 5ft windbreak poles for John to have to struggle hammering in.

Flags, lights, tables, chairs, mobility scooter... yes to be sorted. Sigh. A trailer means I can't do 70mph. Big grin. A tow bar is certainly an idea.. with box carrier is that a possibility? Not sure how that would affect the drive with such a big overhang.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Wizbangs,
We've got a Quest 6 day tent bought at Malvern, when packed up fits in a bag which is about 12inches x 12inches but 2 metres in lenght about 16 kgs quite a weight , you really need a garage to put it in.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
I'm not sure about a Beeny box.... Due to knee stiffness, both hubby and I can't really stoop down. Ah the joys of ageing bodies. Couldn't the Quest simply lay on the floor or on a bed?

Currently our thought is that almost everything will have to go inside the MH then as soon as we arrive, put up the pop-up and move everything out into there. Table, two chairs, disability scooter, his stroller, the dog pram, that's about it really. We don't go to Morocco etc, more just tootle around the shows and a few small rallies. The only other big item is the ramps and hopefully they can go in the external locker.

Of course we can cut down on his lordships three flag poles and Blackpool illumination a bit too. ;-)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
hi again , you could in theory put in the van on the floor or possibly the bed , if you can lift it between you (not easy ) and get it thru the door ( as it doesn't bend).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hi MinxyGirl. :) The 2016 brochure says 497Kg, which is up from 387Kg in the 2015 brochure. We could also up-plate it, that takes it up to 617Kg. However, that is still a heck of a lot more than our Rapido at 350Kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi MinxyGirl. :) The 2016 brochure says 497Kg, which is up from 387Kg in the 2015 brochure. We could also up-plate it, that takes it up to 617Kg. However, that is still a heck of a lot more than our Rapido at 350Kg.
Be very wary of the figures quoted ... insist that they actually weigh one prior to you putting in your order as what the manufacturer states and what is the 'real world' figure can be very different.

Also don't foget to allow for any extras you want fitted, or that are fitted over and above the manufacturer's standard vehicle spec - some dealer always order vehicles to a higher spec with extra 'toys' on so the weight could be over the stated figure anyway.

OP
OP
Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Thanks for that MinxyGirl. You really do seem like you want to put us off. :(

As it is, upon initial enquiries, the £££ numbers just don't work for us. We may revisit the idea in the Spring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for that MinxyGirl. You really do seem like you want to put us off. :(

As it is, upon initial enquiries, the £££ numbers just don't work for us. We may revisit the idea in the Spring.
Not trying to put you off in the least, just ensuring you don't fall into the trap of 'believeing' everything you are told by the dealer or manufacturer. You also mentioned up-plating - if you want a higher MAM than 3500kg and the vehciel doesn't have to be modified in order to achieve it, you can actually have this done at first registration which negates the need for paying for an engineer's report etc so costs nothing but it MUST be done before it is registered.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have the smaller Quest pop up day shelter and mine just travels on the bed. Admittedly you are looking at the larger version but I certainly don't have any problems in handling it or the weight.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Back to the original question about storage...

I have a fairly small pvc : an autosleeper rcx which is converted from a Renault trafic t1000. My daughter and I went on a two week tour of Scotland this year. We had enough storage for everything we needed.

The key is to sort out a list of what you absolutely must take with you first and then a list of what would be nice to have if you've got the space.

Find a home for all the must haves, putting the most commonly used items in easily accessible places. Every time you're finished with something, put it back where it belongs or you'll soon end up with a "pile"!

Now that you've got the must haves loaded, you'll have an idea of how much space you have left. Only then can you really decide on which "nice to have" items to take with you. You can prioritise them using a space to usefulness ratio. For example, wetsuits which folded down small beat camping chairs for our trip. Obviously, the usefulness of each item will vary according to the purpose and length of each trip.

Anyway, that was my experience... Hopefully it will be of some help to you :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back