Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
In my toad I connect the pod via a lead and the result is fantastic.

In my Jeep and RV it seems I must use a radio wave connection, how good is this system guys?

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
In my toad I connect the pod via a lead and the result is fantastic.

In my Jeep and RV it seems I must use a radio wave connection, how good is this system guys?
I recently bought a radio wave connector for my MP3 but so far have only tried it in the car (we haven't been anywhere in the motorhome). It seems to work fine for a while but then gets a bit crackly - I don't know whether that's the connector, the car, the MP3 player, the atmosphere, or what. More trials are needed I think:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

There are unexpected problems - some modern radios are difficult to tune to a fixed frequency, then you have to find a clear frequency and your little transmitter has to be tuned to that if it can.

Altogether, good when it works otherwise a pain in the bum. Every time you move site then start the pain again. And if on the move, well, just too much pain.

I've seen newer dongles that scan for an empty channel but you still have to get the radio to tune in.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I find them unreliable, have you considered a new radio with an ipod connection?

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Jeeps got a fabo system so cant replace.

RV radio not that old but a thought but more bl**dy expense:cry::cry::cry::cry:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi John,

When out of the UK, and using the TomTom, we play Mp3 music via the built in FM transmitter onto 107.9 FM on the radio.

If not using the TT, we use our iPod 5G which is slotted into a Griffin RoadTrip and listen to our Mp3 music, again on the same frequency. It is an excellent transmitter with a strong signal strength, and programmable frequencies, although we have never needed to change from 107.9 yet, and it recharges your iPod.

Here is a more modern model. Link Removed
Edit..........Click on products for various other FM Transmitters.

HTH,

Jock.

Last edited:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
As people have mentioned they can be hit or miss.

If it can be set to a free signal and the radio can tune into it without any interference then its good to go and a good solution. Otherwise it can be more of a pain than its worth.

What Stereo is in the Jeep as there may be other wired solutions. For example for my Alpine I have a box which plugs into the CD controller connector on the head unit and the iPod connects to that. This allows the ipod to be out of sight and be controllable from the head unit itself.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Oh dear - can't help it, honest. :Doh:

If you have a radio which has hundreds of stations capable of playing music - why do you need to connect another box (or pod or whatever it is called) in order to listen to music that the radio can play perfectly well by itself? :whatthe:

I am obviously missing something here :Eeek:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
As people have mentioned they can be hit or miss.

If it can be set to a free signal and the radio can tune into it without any interference then its good to go and a good solution. Otherwise it can be more of a pain than its worth.

What Stereo is in the Jeep as there may be other wired solutions. For example for my Alpine I have a box which plugs into the CD controller connector on the head unit and the iPod connects to that. This allows the ipod to be out of sight and be controllable from the head unit itself.

6 stacker in the rear area, the actual system cost £1200 extra upgrade when new (cant think of the name) so sound quality brilliant:Smile:I can out do the corsa/saxo brigade that frequent the town centre that are pain in the AR$E mobile beat boxes if I wanted:yeah:

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Oh dear - can't help it, honest. :Doh:

If you have a radio which has hundreds of stations capable of playing music - why do you need to connect another box (or pod or whatever it is called) in order to listen to music that the radio can play perfectly well by itself? :whatthe:

I am obviously missing something here :Eeek:
Hi Mo or Dick,

They are great when there isn't anything on "those hundreds of stations" that you might like, or, when out of the UK and our fellow European's choice of broadcasted music, differs greatly to ours. :winky:

Jock.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years

6 stacker in the rear area, the actual system cost £1200 extra upgrade when new (cant think of the name) so sound quality brilliant:Smile:I can out do the corsa/saxo brigade that frequent the town centre that are pain in the AR$E mobile beat boxes if I wanted:yeah:

Sounds nice, any idea of the make and model? Maybe an alternative out there.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Mo or Dick,

They are great when there isn't anything on "those hundreds of stations" that you might like, or, when out of the UK and our fellow European's choice of broadcasted music, differs greatly to ours. :winky:

Jock.

Thanks Jock

I have been told that my middle initial (L) stands for Luddite but I guess that I am still in the era of 'tape' recorders and 78's or LP's - as we used to call 'vynil' :Sad:

Ipod sounds a bit like an intergalactic space bed to me - and I probably know as much about one of those as I do an Ipod. :Eeek:

Lord only knows what I will do if the grand-children ask me for a Wii for Christmas !

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ipod sounds a bit like an intergalactic space bed to me - and I probably know as much about one of those as I do an Ipod. :Eeek:!

Ipod is a triumph of marketing over function. It's an electronic tape recorder but an expensive electronic tape recorder. The other name for the type of product is MP3 player.

What you do is transfer all your old 78s and tapes to you computer, removing the hiss and pop as you do so. Then transfer from computer to some little MP3 player to carry around with you.

A pocket sized device will run off a single battery and store hundreds of your favourite tunes. The cheap ones work OK, the expensive ones have a bigger display so that you can find what you want to play.

There, easy.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Lord only knows what I will do if the grand-children ask me for a Wii for Christmas !
Whatever you do.........don't go "spending a penny" on them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Still on topic...........an iPod or an Mp3 player can be best described, as a means of storing all your 45's, 78's, LP's, CD's and cassettes (and DVD's on some), in one device that fits into your shirt pocket. And when you have listened to one, you'll wonder how you managed all these years without one. You can even listen to Audio Books to while away the hours of driving.

Jock.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi John i have the fm transmitter but don't use it i connect ie sat nav,ipod ect with a cassette lead then everything plays through the radio with no interference

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
We have one like this Link Removed ( i Think it is this model)

can even control the Ipod from the radio or via the remote.

Just remember that the new Ipod touch may need an adapter though.... our's did

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello John,

I tried a fairly expensive gadget that is designed specifically for iPod and plugs directly into the iPod socket - and it was useless.

Instead I bought a pretty cheap generic FM transmitter that plugs into the headphone socket. That was fine so I got a similar one for the car as well.

Remind me at Stratford and I'll give you a demonstration.

Graham

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
them there transmitters are a real pain
when others are using them :Blush:
they keep playing your music to me:Angry:
and i dont like some others choice:Blush:
specially in high density(built up) areas
rap music leaves me cold and uneasy:Eeek:

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
i use and can recommend IDRIVE ipod to car radio dock.
i have tried the FM type and yes they work but not all the time and often all you get is crackles and pops!!!
in fact i have got 2 because they are that good one for the car and one for the van
no FM drop out.:thumb:
The dock connects between the aerial and the car radio
Link Removed
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hebe-Styling-iDrive-solution-Players/dp/B00083HQDI[/ame]
i modified one and fitted a 3.5mm stereo input jack connector so that i can also plug any MP3 player in and not just a Ipod
These are now discontinued you may find one on ebay. worth looking for:thumb:
ebay has a few for sale Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back