Charcoal and Spontaneous Combustion! (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The following advice is given by almost every US fire department. Though in the UK, the "danger" does not get a mention anywhere.

Keep damp or wet coals in a well ventilated area. During the drying process, spontaneous combustion can occur in confined areas.keep it dry, and store it in a covered metal container.
Charcoal briquettes should be stored in a dry area because damp or wet charcoal is sensitive to spontaneous heating once dried.
It would be nice to know as I always have around 10kgs in a locker and spontaneous combustion there would be a bummer. :whatthe:

Anybody else heard of this phenomenon? Or is it the American equivalent of the British "never draw 6 amps without completely unwinding your 25m cable or the whole campsite will ignite.::bigsmile:"

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
The following advice is given by almost every US fire department. Though in the UK, the "danger" does not get a mention anywhere.

It would be nice to know as I always have around 10kgs in a locker and spontaneous combustion there would be a bummer. :whatthe:

Anybody else heard of this phenomenon? Or is it the American equivalent of the British "never draw 6 amps without completely unwinding your 25m cable or the whole campsite will ignite.::bigsmile:"

Wonder if you could grind it up and put it in the fuel tank? :Doh:
Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks, so I'm OK with my charcoal then Jim. But should I fully unwind my cable? ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jim you should NEVER keep your cable and charcoal in the same locker as your A frame:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Or is it the American equivalent of the British "never draw 6 amps without completely unwinding your 25m cable or the whole campsite will ignite.::bigsmile:"

seen this happen, although we were using a lot more amps than 6

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
seen this happen, although we were using a lot more amps than 6

Me too , not so long ago and against all my own advice .. :Blush:

I melted an extension cable wound on a drum ( too lazy to unwind) using a small angle grinder .. less than 6 amps so you don't need to pull high currents..

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Me too , not so long ago and against all my own advice .. :Blush:

I melted an extension cable wound on a drum ( too lazy to unwind) using a small angle grinder .. less than 6 amps so you don't need to pull high currents..

about 20 amps with a 13 amp fuse, cable and plug melted before fuse blew.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Jim, I think you have proved by experiment that charcoal doesn't spontaneously catch fire.
Along with the thousands of others.
Especially the guys delivering charcoal by lorry from lorries packed with the stuff.

If you are genuinely worried though.
Carry the charcoal briquettes with you.
They are never going to self ignite because the air can't get inside them quickly enough.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
geo... you mean charcoal , cable ,a frame,gas bottle filler,green garden hose, etc etc. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Airtight ammo boxes are cheap enough if you want a safe store for your charcoal.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Airtight ammo boxes are cheap enough if you want a safe store for your charcoal.
PLEASE REMOVE SURPLUS AMMUNITION OR HAND GRENADES BEFORE USE:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Charcoal and Sponataneous Combustion??? It's not one I have come across in my time.................nor likely to now. :ROFLMAO:

Many items of a natural composition, which decompose/oxidise are susceptible to "spontaneous combustion" given the correct set of circumstances and variations on conditions, ie, atmospheric conditions, types of materials, contaminants present, temperatures, types of storage, etc, however, it is usually as a result of prolonged storage where any heat build up cannot escape.

Anyway, I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved with this one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jock.

P.S. Shame on you boys for not uncoiling the cable reel. :winky:

Mar 1, 2009
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Hey,i learn something new every day!:thumb: i`d heard about uncoiling electrical wires before using, i always pull out the entire lead from the hoover before i use it, but i`d never heard about carcoal spontaneously combusting!!!:Eeek:

I find that quite worrying:Doh: good job i have a cadac then, problem solved :thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
Hi when I was working we imported coal for cokemaking and I can't ever remember this happening. Then we got contracts to
import "steam" coal for use in power stations and spontaneous combustion was a regular occurence. this is well known on power station stockpiles. I think it's because of the high volatile content. In the case of coke all the volatiles are burnt off so I think it's very unlikely to happen. ::bigsmile:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
PLEASE REMOVE SURPLUS AMMUNITION OR HAND GRENADES BEFORE USE

Let's not be too hasty here Geo.
They could be just the jolly job for getting the party off with a bang.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks, so I'm OK with my charcoal then Jim. But should I fully unwind my cable? ::bigsmile:
Cable wound on a drum with current passing through it is an inductor, just like the old wire wound fire elements. Sufficient current drawn can get hot enough to catch on fire, no myth, pysiological fact.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back