wanted rv diesel or LPG (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
i have just sold my rv and wantto get a new one i have £11000 to spend does any one seen any thing??

and i had a 27ft 6200cc that was doing 15 MPG would LPG be better??

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well LPG is currently cheaper at around 65p per Ltr so would be cheaper to run. Until the chancelor decides to hit it with a silly tax.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have just sold my rv and wantto get a new one i have £11000 to spend does any one seen any thing??

and i had a 27ft 6200cc that was doing 15 MPG would LPG be better??

hi do1977,
have a look in the MHF classifieds Link Removed sun seeker at £12+k and a few others unpriced

well LPG is currently cheaper at around 65p per Ltr so would be cheaper to run. Until the chancelor decides to hit it with a silly tax.

wont be long now roger:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

Less than 50p round here!
Dave:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

LPG@ Morrisons is 49.9 in my region and bought on the M5 today for 51.5p:winky: i buy it much cheaper than this though::bigsmile:

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
??

i have been offered a 1996 DAMON DAY BREAK AMERICAN MOTORHOME 32 FT long and on LPG does anyone think i should get in MPG in lpg??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i have been offered a 1996 DAMON DAY BREAK AMERICAN MOTORHOME 32 FT long and on LPG does anyone think i should get in MPG in lpg??

Hi

from what I've heard, about 8 mpg on LPG , 10 mpg on Petrol .. don't have one myself, so can't confirm, if your looking for better then look for a diesel .. my 36ft Georgieboy with a Cummins does around 14 mpg .

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi

from what I've heard, about 8 mpg on LPG , 10 mpg on Petrol .. don't have one myself, so can't confirm, if your looking for better then look for a diesel .. my 36ft Georgieboy with a Cummins does around 14 mpg .

Jim

Is it a Ford or Chevrolet engine?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi

Jim

Hi Jim's right, you can expect anything up to 30% less MPG on LPG, but if you compare that to diesel its well under 50%less so ends costing a similar amount per mile traveled.

olley

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
i had a 6200cc diesel Chevrolet engine was doing 15 mpg
i have been told by people selling there rv's that there's is doing over 20mpg on lpg on the equivalant price as it is almost half price

i am just trying to get the best rv and the bast on fuel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i am just trying to get the best rv and the bast on fuel [/FONT]

Hi, I posted this a while back to compare LPG with Diesel and the payback time..

I calculate it thus and using rough figures, the actual time will vary depending on

a) Current cost of LPG v Petrol, (for ease of calculating I will use 50p and £1 per lt)
b) Actual cost of conversion, (I will assume £3k )
c) MPG , I will use 10mpg for petrol and 8mpg on LPG

Cost per mile on petrol = 45p
Cost per mile on LPG = 28p

Saving 17p per mile.

Payback for a £3k conversion is 3,000 div. 0.17 = 17,647 mls

or for a £2.5k conversion 2,500 div .17 = 14,705 mls

So if you do:
5k mls per year the payback time is about 3 1/2 years..
if 10k mls then it's 1 3/4 years

I think these figures are fair.. and should help people to make an informed decision..

However if LPG rises significantly against the cost of petrol then the payback gets longer, this could reach a point where there is no longer a financial benefit.

As a comparison, a diesel doing 14mpg costs 32p per ml

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
so if i would be better of getting a rv with lpg fitted already that a deisel?

can you run on lpg 100% of the time??

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
so if i would be better of getting a rv with lpg fitted already that a deisel?

can you run on lpg 100% of the time??

Hi ,

Yes, if cost per mile is the main consideration .. and as far as I know you can run all the time on LPG ..

Also consider availability of LPG, it's fairly easy in the UK and France but not so in Spain and although I have a diesel I still have to fill the LPG house tank.. access to pumps can be difficult in some filling stations.. and although easy to find on the French Autoroutes it's not so widely available in rural France..

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
ok thanks for that
would you now go for a lpg or diesel for your next rv knowing all the facts

i will be doing 7000 to 10000 miles a year

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ok thanks for that
would you now go for a lpg or diesel for your next rv knowing all the facts

i will be doing 7000 to 10000 miles a year

Like you I weighed up the pros and cons of Petrol; Petrol/LPG; front engine or rear engine diesel and choose a pusher diesel ..

My reasons were
A rear diesel is very quiet compared to a front engine, fuel is widely available and I can fill up at the HGV pumps and I also had a lot of experience of Cummins diesels when I worked off shore which were used on standby generators and fire pumps, so I have to admit I was slightly biased in my choice ..I've always been a diesel head.. :Cool:
but have to admit, I love my little petrol Fiat Sceicento that does almost 60 mpg, just wish it could push the RV instead of being a toad.. :roflmto:

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
ok thanks for that i will have to have a hard think

i am looking on ebay at the mo for a rv can you tell me of any where else i should look as i have the cash to spend and want to drive of into the sunset ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Only general common sense advice which I'm sure you will already thought of ..

1. Full years MOT
2. Six good tyres, not just the tread, inspect the side walls, look for small hair line cracks If needing replaced, budget accordingly and knock off at least a £1500 from the price. Also check the spare, if it has one.
3. Service history, not just a dealers stamp, receipts to show that oil chnges have been done by the owner are probably more valuable, goes without say, if it hasn't any it has been neglected. If buying from a dealer, a full service before taking delivery.
4. Inspect the roof for tears in the rubber or cracks around the sealer. If it's been repaired that's ok provided it's been done properly.
5. Damp .. RVs are not prone, but check under the windows and in the roof where the end caps join the main roof and around roof lights and air con units. . If it smells musty or you find damp best walk away
6. Insist on seeing all gas appliances working.. water heater, heating furnace, fridge/freezer, etc..
7. Check the generator is working, once started put it on load by running an air con unit.
8. Last but not least.. take a test drive of at least half an hour, see how it handles, does it wander, if so the steering box and or linkage may be worn. Give it some welly on a motorway, does it feel responsive or behave like a slug.

£11k isn't a huge amount to spend on an RV but it's a buyers market, shop around and find one that has been well cared for .. they are out there but so are the lemons.. don't rush.. and if it don't feel 'right' it probably isn't. Listen to your brain.. not your heart :winky:

For this kind of cash I would look at private sales..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just to add that rear pushers are generally over 34', anything smaller will generally have the diesel engine in the front. (Known as a "FRED"). And these can be noisy to drive.

If its the smaller RV your after I would go petrol/lpg. Servicing costs have also to be considered, my V8 GM takes 5litres of oil and 1 filter, I think from memory the cummings takes 15litres of oil, 1 oil and 2 fuel filters

Olley

PS good point about checking receipts Jim, I don't keep any, :Doh: I will do in future.

Last edited:

wm1918

Free Member
Jan 31, 2009
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
lpg

Hi All,

I have a 28ft itasca 7.4ltr that runs on lpg, about 8mpg and about 11 on petrol(depends how you drive), but the price of gas up here in bonnie Scotland is £0.48ltr, my biggest problem is that the bus only had a 100ltr lpg tank(80ltr fill) so only get about 120max miles per tank, but at 1/2 the price i dont mind stopping more often until i can get more tanks fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back