inverter, on or off overnight. (1 Viewer)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
one for you electrikery experts..

while at lincoln, my 2x 110ah leisure batteries were flat,, 11v and lower both mornings. i had left the 2kw inverter switched on charging the mifi, and we had the led strip under the bathroom/bedroom door on, this strip has about 15 leds on it,the type which comes on a roll and you cut to length.

would the inverter run down the batteries if left on,
the batteries,,,,one is about 4 years old and the other maybe 18 months,,both numax.
the motorhome is autotrail chieftain with the EC325 electrics.
we had the genny running saturday night till 8.30 and still flat batteries sunday.
haven't noticed before because usually we're on ehu.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
True the inverter will draw a very small amount if left switched on but not in use. It should not flatten your batteries overnight. But you were charging mifi, even that would probably not draw much once it has recharged. It sounds like your batteries are duds but it's worth a full charge test. I think if I were replacing batteries I would replace both at the same time with identical ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Agree on above.. Low current draw and the Mifi takes bugger all anyway.
Suspect battery (s) kaput.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Inefficient way of charging mifi. Taking 12 volts, to 230 volts then back down to 5 volts will lose as well as leaving on over night. Why not get one of these
Broken Link Removed.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i went out this morning to the van and the leisure battery was reading 12.6v. The fault is probably the youngest charging all his gizmos and gadgets while laid in bed,,,I'll get 2 new ones just in case from our supplier.
Glandwr,, we have loads of those usb things, just need to start using them.
thanks for the replies.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with all the above comments but wonder why anyone uses an inverter to charge items like MiFi, phones, tablets &c. We use a 12v multi-socket adapter which includes lighter sockets and USB sockets and charge without the overhead of an inverter.

The only thing we do use an inverter for is my camera battery which only came with a mains charger. I forgot to check before buying whether it could be charged in the camera as my previous one could. However, even that takes very little power.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our tablet and MiFi get charged (separately) via a permanently live USB port on our 1500w inverter, however we too use the twin port USB male plug (as shown above) from either of the 2 x dedicated 12v habitation sockets.

Only the boss's hair dryer, slow cooker, Phillips Pod vacuum cleaner ;) and our FTA satellite receiver, are powered by an inverter. Almost everything else is 12v. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I'm going to use the 12v sockets from now on, trouble with the autotrail is 1 socket is in the overcab and 1 rear bed above the garage. I don't like leaving things in them in case the the bedding interferes with the cable.
I think the reason we charge through the inverter is because we use a anti surge plug adapter.

I'll take a feed off the 12v supply to the inverter and fit some usb sockets under the seats.

ps. just been out to the van and the leisure batteries are at 12.6v ,, with nothing switched on now for 2 nights,it has 1 x 100w solar panel working so that may have topped them up yesterday, although it's parked under a big tree.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
the batteries should be reading at least 13.5v or more with the solar panel charging my twin batteries read anything up to 14v on the solar. if your batteries read less then I would say they are fecked

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Lou, disconnect the solar supply to the batteries now, and check the voltage again tomorrow morning. I think you'll be in for a shock. I reckon the solar charge is the only reason your batteries are reading 12.6v A fully charged system should read a minimum of 12.7v. Are you using a digital volt meter for your readings, which is more accurate than an analogue meter reading?

Good luck with solving the problem with 2 x new batteries. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Jock,, I was reading from the onboard sargent panel. I'll disconnect the solar and check it with a digital meter on Thursday morning.
Is there a way of testing each battery with a multi meter. I have the the old fashioned big pronged drop tester.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with others that your Leisure batteries may have had it. However, do a drop test to make sure.
If your going to replace them strongly advise you get the Banner leisure batteries as they are the dogs Bollocks.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
would the inverter run down the batteries if left on,
Yes, but 12 hrs overnight shouldn't flatten 2 x 110Wh batteries if it wasn't doing anything other than charging a mifi. A 2k inverter will have a significant quiescent current draw though. If you post the make & model number we can probably tell you how much.

Unless you are setup with a mobile power station like Techno100 or eddievanbitz, turn the inverter off when not in use & as far as possible, only use it for things where there is no 12v alternative. They are an inefficient way of operating anything that could be run directly from the 12v supply.

What else do you use the inverter for? 2k is quite a beast & will be very inefficient when operating devices that only need a few hundred watts. If you don't need that capacity, it might pay to sell it & buy a smaller one. I would look for a 50% margin, so if the biggest device you ever use is 400w, a 600w inverter would be ideal.

Like everyone else, I suspect your batteries are past their best.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
The inverter is a silverline, i had it given by one of our drivers and has worked brilliant for the last 4 years.
we use it for a small table top freezer while travelling if we are going somewhere hot, as the onboard freezer is useless in hot weather. we also use it for a microwave which it operates well.
iv'e disconnected the solar now,and will check on thursday what the batteries have dropped to.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I notice your leisure batteries are quite a bit different in age that can cause a problem in itself as the older battery may bring down the newer one thus you are not keeping the correct charge so they will be lower than you may think.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The inverter is a silverline
IsBroken Link Removed If so, it should draw less than 1A when switched on but doing nothing. So decent batteries shouldn't be too bothered about it being left on overnight, although you wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

It's a modified sine wave output, so you are doing well if it runs the microwave ok. Not all microwaves are very happy on modified sine wave inverters.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
That's the one,,except mine has one socket.. it does make the microwave sing a little, and i usually start the engine.
the microwave is a cheap one from morrisons, that is 5 years old now.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock,, I was reading from the onboard sargent panel. I'll disconnect the solar and check it with a digital meter on Thursday morning.
Is there a way of testing each battery with a multi meter. I have the the old fashioned big pronged drop tester.
Not so much testing with a digital meter Lou, but more of getting an accurate voltage reading.
We have 2 xx old fashion FLA traction batteries, whereupon I can remove the caps and check the electrolyte in each cell with a hydrometer. In the absence of a battery tester, this is the next best indication of cell condition and capacity. Obviously no good for sealed FLA, or Gel batteries.

Cheers,

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Agree with others that your Leisure batteries may have had it. However, do a drop test to make sure.
If your going to replace them strongly advise you get the Banner leisure batteries as they are the dogs Bollocks.
I did a drop test on the dogs Bollocks once...... It bit me!:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Might be worth learning to cook and ditching the microwave! :)

(Said with a smile in case it isn't clear!)

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I think I might have one of those sine wave things in the underfloor hatch will have a look in the morning. Flippin expensive so thanks to the previous owners if it is.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
More like a load of bollocks I've just had both my Banner batteries fail at less than 18 months old. Do a search on the German forums and you will see what a load of rubbish they are.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I have binned 2 pairs of banner batteries over the last few years, rubbishy in my opinion. I have been using alphaline DC31 for nearly 3 years and they still have great capacity. Half the cost of banners.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I agree with all the above comments but wonder why anyone uses an inverter to charge items like MiFi, phones, tablets &c. We use a 12v multi-socket adapter which includes lighter sockets and USB sockets and charge without the overhead of an inverter.
Probably because if you have a wife like mine when we are travelling she requires at least 3 x 12 v sockets just for her own use. :(lap top , phone , chinese ipad. 2 x 12v are permanently used for camera & sat -nav leaving 1 that I keep a voltage checker in. That leaves none for my phone & occasionally my hudl :cry:. So I usually bung the wife's laptop/ipad thing in either of the small inverters whilst travelling & /or use one of the front 12v sockets with a double usb outlet for phones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably because if you have a wife like mine when we are travelling she requires at least 3 x 12 v sockets just for her own use. :(lap top , phone , chinese ipad. 2 x 12v are permanently used for camera & sat -nav leaving 1 that I keep a voltage checker in. That leaves none for my phone & occasionally my hudl :cry:. So I usually bung the wife's laptop/ipad thing in either of the small inverters whilst travelling & /or use one of the front 12v sockets with a double usb outlet for phones.
I got fed up with loads of leads everywhere, so I fitted a dual 12v to 5v USB power supply under the dash, one output feeds the the dashcam the other has a lead into the top glove box for phone charging etc., and I fitted a double din stereo with satnav.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I got fed up with loads of leads everywhere, so I fitted a dual 12v to 5v USB power supply under the dash, one output feeds the the dashcam the other has a lead into the top glove box for phone charging etc., and I fitted a double din stereo with satnav.
I have a three socket unit mounted on the dash shelf. That allows powering of the dash cam and sat nav when driving (plus second sat nav for when I want to compare the Garmin to the Noza Tec as described in other threads).
We have no need to charge phones, tablets &c on the move because we do so before setting off, either from the mains before leaving home or as described in post #7 during a trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back