New to Solar (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
we are considering fitting solar to our M/H as we like to be off grid when travelling in Europe.

I don't feel confident of cutting into the roof our new M/H so will have it fitted professionally.

We have been quoted approx. £525 for a single 120W installation.

A couple of questions :-

Does the quote seem reasonable?

Is 1x120W likely to be OK or should I go for two (either 2x100W or 2x120W)

What questions should I be asking prior to installation?

Thanks, in anticipation.:smiley:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
fitting yourself entails gluing the panel to the roof and making one hole for the cable gland to pass through and save yourself around £350-400
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Wilman
Thanks for the response.

If the M/H was older I might be tempted but, as it is only 5 months old I want to preserve the Warranty and water ingress guarantee, so am looking at the original supplier doing the job.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would definitely get it fitted professionally as the last two years we have been asking for insurance quotes we have been asked if our solar panel had been fitted professionally and if we had the documentation.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I would definitely get it fitted professionally as the last two years we have been asking for insurance quotes we have been asked if our solar panel had been fitted professionally and if we had the documentation.
Thanks.

Hadn't even considered any Insurance implications.(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The required wattage will depend upon the intended usage.

We run our (all LED) lighting, water pump, air heater fan, satellite tuner & TV and all our 12v gadget rechargers off 85W without difficulty. We don't use a 230v inverter for anything.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What documentation would that be ? A receipt lol

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Those brackets are rubbish Terry
Once glued on to the roof you can't get the panel back off if needed as they bolt to the underside of the frame

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Those brackets are rubbish Terry
Once glued on to the roof you can't get the panel back off if needed as they bolt to the underside of the frame
It is what's in the kit Andy there are lot's of other kits available at similar money - me I just used some ali angle and bought the panel etc separately after following your advice on panels ;):LOL:
terry

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Have you got 2 batteries fitted, it may be that 2 batteries might work out cheaper and they charge up as you move around. Saves having to fit solar.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you got 2 batteries fitted, it may be that 2 batteries might work out cheaper and they charge up as you move around. Saves having to fit solar.
Assuming that the van has a battery to battery charger fitted. Our 1 year old Bessie didn't.
We've just had solar panels fitted by Vanbitz, then we added 2 extra leisure batteries (4 in total) and also have a B2B charger. Belt and braces, but works well when using a 2kw inverter.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Personally I think that your quote is too much. The parts are a maximum £150 so they want in the region of £375 for less than half a days work! Two panels for the price would be fair in my view.
As said above, fitting yourself is very easy and the waterproof gland for the cable entry is exactly as they would use so no real risk of water ingress.
I would rather fit my own as I then know the quality of the work rather than the cost but the choice is yours.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
So glueing the panel to the roof is fine. We have a kit which include silkaflex to do this, but not confident it will be enough, but then don't want to drill, especially as there is already a waterproof box factory installed ready to take the solar, so potential for no drilling required.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The parts are a maximum £150
I really don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. There are so many variables, I pay £100 just for the regulator

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Ours has got a split charger thing that charges as we drive not b to b I thought all motorhomes had them , never mind cancel that idea then.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you buy the parts yourself for this hypothetical £150 that is fair enough and then set about DIY fitting and along the way realise all sorts of things you hadn't accounted for you have to rush out and buy and then any warranty issues deal with the seller then off you go a happy bunny

Or you could pay for the whole job which is more than £150 because the fitter spends time obtaining the parts and has all the conceivable items that might not be envisaged and provides a warranty on everything
The time it takes again is an unknown unless you have dealt with every vehicle manufacturer and layout configurations
You can spend that "half a day" surveying a van , it's not always two meters to the battery down the back of the wardrobe

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Don't get me wrong anyone who knows me knows there is no one more in favour of DIY but there are lots of factors not always considered
For a dealer the price is run of the mill but just because it's a dealer is no guarantee of quality, always go on satisfied customer recommendation

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What documentation would that be ? A receipt lol

No when Solar solutions fitted our panel I had an invoice written out with the work carried out as well as the amount paid, I was only saying the fact that this question was asked by more than one insurance company. :Smile:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
That was my other thought!

First fit is rack to carry our Motorbike. Then either second battery, (M-H is already set up for the second one) or Solar. The second battery would be an easy fix as it is pre-wired already. Just slot in.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No when Solar solutions fitted our panel I had an invoice written out with the work carried out as well as the amount paid, I was only saying the fact that this question was asked by more than one insurance company. :Smile:
I don't see how that is of any use to an insurance company other than for the value and unless you turn your van upside down you're not going to be claiming for them other than a total loss. "Documentation" makes it sound like there is something special about it
There isn't any more than any other accessory

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don't see how that is of any use to an insurance company other than for the value and unless you turn your van upside down you're not going to be claiming for them other than a total loss. "Documentation" makes it sound like there is something special about it
There isn't

Andy I have no idea why the Insurance company's asked that, it's just a fact that they do and did it's up to the individual what they make of it, they also ask the same question about Saltalite Dishes.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Andy I have no idea why the Insurance company's asked that, it's just a fact that they do and did it's up to the individual what they make of it, they also ask the same question about Saltalite Dishes.
It's very unlikely to make any difference to the premium and if they say it does go to safeguard

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If they blow off on the M1 and go through a bus windscreen the insurance would want to know who fitted them, oh I just stuck em on myself might not go down very well.

Martin

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You have to be confident /capable of the work done -the recipet may be just to assure the insurance that it has been done to a supposedly good standard :rolleyes:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If they blow off on the M1 and go through a bus windscreen the insurance would want to know who fitted them, oh I just stuck em on myself might not go down very well.

Martin

Or worse an N&B windscreen :LOL:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think when we say just stick it on we should be saying stick it on properly IE clean rough up both sides clean again then stick it on - we all assume that it's done right but who knows ? I have no doubt that some simply stick it down :D:LOL::LOL::LOL::)
terry

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Maybe the insurance company want to know of any modifications for replacement value...........never been asked about solar individually but they did ask who fitted my Gaslow as i told them about the mod.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What an insurer decides to classify as a modification seems to vary, but it's always safest to let them know of any changes as they otherwise can refuse any claim.
If a modification is done by a professional then if a claim arises, they can pass the cost on to that fitter's insurers, so there's no increased financial risk to your insurer.
If you or a mate do it, then there is that increased risk which they may agree to take on, possibly increasing the premium, or they may decline.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back