need new batteries, where to buy (1 Viewer)

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Anyone know of any places i can get 500 amp hours worth of 12 volt batteries from for a decent price.

my last battery bank was made up of delphi freedom batteries, 4 of em at 115 AH each, they were very cheap (£30 each brand new) but i've since found out the modern delphi batteries arent what they used to be (Delphi batteries was bought out a few years ago, new company is using their name on differnet batteries), they are now intended to be backup/ups type batteries, i.e. on a constiant float charge and 2 or 3 discharges a year, hence i have been lucky to get the life out of them i have giving them heavy discharges every few days.

Idealy i want a couple of large 250 AH batteries, but will go for more smaller batteries to get my 500 AH bank if i have to (fewer larger cells are much better for heavy loads.. like the 150 amps my central vacuum pulls)

im in the midlands, but can travel to get a good priced set of batteries.

OP
OP
gazznsam

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lionheart... treadmill, do you want him to have a heart attack (at the mention if him doing excersise :roflmto:

he's almost 2 now, and has turned into a proper squishy rattie, lay him on his back and he just stays there and falls asleep, put him on the floor, he curls up and falls asleep, put him on your shoulder, he'll sniff about for a bit, then drapes him self round your neck and fall asleep,

wont be long before he wont bother to get out of bed to go for a pee, if his food bowl was placed in bed with him, he'd be in heaven :RollEyes:

Now honey, she has an excess of energy, but sadly is too light to generate the power we use in our van, maybe tatyana with a yoggie drop suspended on a string infront of her nose :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, Check out ebay no,220413457410 I bought some very much the same last year for the RV and they are the best batteries I have ever had.I know people that use them as battery banks on windmills, and they swear by them too. Regards,Dave.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Give these people a call, direct from the factory and they will deliver..

Link Removed

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Gazz'nSam, have you considered running your engine at fast tickover when you use your vacuum?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone know of any places i can get 500 amp hours worth of 12 volt batteries from for a decent price.

45 .. How does this answer the question ?? >>>

Gazz'nSam, have you considered running your engine at fast tickover when you use your vacuum?

Is that a serious suggestion ?

have you ever considered how annoying that is to your neighbours, not to mention the fumes, running an engine to charge batteries or supply power is the most inefficient method I know :Doh:

OP
OP
gazznsam

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi, Check out ebay no,220413457410 I bought some very much the same last year for the RV and they are the best batteries I have ever had.I know people that use them as battery banks on windmills, and they swear by them too. Regards,Dave.

i've heard of people using those types of batteries, some big yella ones as well,

i've always stayed away as i didnt think they could handle deep discharges and lots of cycles, but going on the weight of them, there's a lot more lead in em than standard leisure batteries, and more lead is good.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
i've heard of people using those types of batteries, some big yella ones as well,

i've always stayed away as i didnt think they could handle deep discharges and lots of cycles, but going on the weight of them, there's a lot more lead in em than standard leisure batteries, and more lead is good.
Hi, I have the big yellow ones on the RV and my boat.Can only speak as I find em and they are brilliant.Even put two of them on the starter and no problem at all with them.Was told by a well known RV mechanic in Cannock that they are the best there is and they cost a fortune new,if you can get them.You are right about the weight though,cos they are very heavy so I presume a loralora lead.They hold charge better than any other batterys I have had in the past,never ever neaded hookup since fitting them with 3x75watt solars.Regards,Dave.

OP
OP
gazznsam

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I think i might try some of these batteries then, been looking at my choices.... could get some truck/bus starter batteries, 225 amp hours ones i can get for about £150 each, whilst they are not deep cycle batteries, there are people who swear by them, claiming leisure batteries are a con anyway, just a different sticker (that's some of the battery charger makers)

i could get some trojan AGM batteries, but they are about 400 quid for a 215 AH battery, and they are very tall so wouldent fit under me bed.

Could go for elecsols, the largest are 270 AH, and 2 of them would be nice, but they'd be £260 each,
i had a 110 ah elecsol years ago, it got treated badly and didnt want to die, overcharged till it lost half it's water (a zig charger blowing it's regulator chip and pumping 18 volts at 20 amps into a fully charged battery) left flat in the garage for 6 months, and used to start the engine of the iveco for 2 years after i got the delphi batteries, finaly killed it at 8 years old.

I could get some large 2 volt cells, that's the best route for longevity, but i darent price some up.

Or i could go for these ex ups batteries, gotta work out how many i can fit in, weight isnt that much of an issue, just gotta work out if it's ok to put a lot more weight that side of the van.. i already have 2 x 70 litre diesel tanks, the charger and inverter, battery bank, 20 litre calorifier, cooker, oven, generator, washing machine and heater that side, (got a 90 litre gas tank, 2 x 70 litre water tanks, 50 litre red diesel tank, toilet, fridge and pantry the other side)

i guess i could built a locker for them under the floor between the chasiss rails, will have to go around the prop shaft, and need a hatch in the floor for maintinance access, but that's get the heaviest load in the best place.

Now, am i going mad, or did i see an ad on this forum somewhere asking for people to go in on a group buy of those yellow batteries, someone was buying a pallet load of em and needed them to go south,
not sure of the AH rating of the yella ones, but i want at least a 500 AH bank, if not larger.... oh and a few more rats to work the rodent wheel generator :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think i might try some of these batteries then, been looking at my choices.... could get some truck/bus starter batteries, 225 amp hours ones i can get for about £150 each, whilst they are not deep cycle batteries, there are people who swear by them, claiming leisure batteries are a con anyway, just a different sticker (that's some of the battery charger makers)

i could get some trojan AGM batteries, but they are about 400 quid for a 215 AH battery, and they are very tall so wouldent fit under me bed.

Could go for elecsols, the largest are 270 AH, and 2 of them would be nice, but they'd be £260 each,
i had a 110 ah elecsol years ago, it got treated badly and didnt want to die, overcharged till it lost half it's water (a zig charger blowing it's regulator chip and pumping 18 volts at 20 amps into a fully charged battery) left flat in the garage for 6 months, and used to start the engine of the iveco for 2 years after i got the delphi batteries, finaly killed it at 8 years old.

I could get some large 2 volt cells, that's the best route for longevity, but i darent price some up.

Or i could go for these ex ups batteries, gotta work out how many i can fit in, weight isnt that much of an issue, just gotta work out if it's ok to put a lot more weight that side of the van.. i already have 2 x 70 litre diesel tanks, the charger and inverter, battery bank, 20 litre calorifier, cooker, oven, generator, washing machine and heater that side, (got a 90 litre gas tank, 2 x 70 litre water tanks, 50 litre red diesel tank, toilet, fridge and pantry the other side)

i guess i could built a locker for them under the floor between the chasiss rails, will have to go around the prop shaft, and need a hatch in the floor for maintinance access, but that's get the heaviest load in the best place.

Now, am i going mad, or did i see an ad on this forum somewhere asking for people to go in on a group buy of those yellow batteries, someone was buying a pallet load of em and needed them to go south,
not sure of the AH rating of the yella ones, but i want at least a 500 AH bank, if not larger.... oh and a few more rats to work the rodent wheel generator :)
Hi,,There are none on evilbay at the moment,I rang the guy I got mine from and he said he hasnt got any at moment,but there are a few people who regulary put them on there,you just have to be patient till they come up.I paid £35 each for mine collected them myself.They are 95amps,but be warned they are much heavier than normal batteries.Hope this is some help,Regards,Dave.

S

s700hymmerc

Deleted User
ex army batteries !

ever tried ex army telecommunications 100 amp , marathon 100 amp hour batteries , they use these on the trains . ! just a thought .
got these on my camper , no lecci for a week no gen either 12v 17 " tv lights mostly led,s watching tv most nights sky that is 3 hours a night and did not even dent these batteries , my son was telling me in the army they use these batteries for tele comm wireless ect , and they got to do the job , and they do :Cool:. by the way trojan are the bees knees when it come s down to it on gel they will last and take the charge too , sterling chargers told me this ,
hope it helps ,
all the best , for now ,denton.:Cool:

OP
OP
gazznsam

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
if i can find where to get some.......

my money no object choice would be a pair of elecsol 270 AH batteries, giving me a half decent 540 AH battery bank, but the best price i can find for them is £260 each,

but if i can find some batteries that work as good for a fraction of the price... i'd be silly not to, just i'm a bit wary of ups batteries, the ones i have now are really for ups use, which is float charge all their life, occasional discharge,

OP
OP
gazznsam

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You know these yellow batteries peopl seem to love,

would they be Link Removed those by any chance??

If not can someone tell me what the model number is on thirs please, so i can check out the specs and be sure they are right for my application,

i cant quite make out the model number on that photo on the link above, but not sure if they are the same ones, as been mentioned the people you usually get em from are out of stock atm

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You know these yellow batteries peopl seem to love,

would they be Link Removed those by any chance??

If not can someone tell me what the model number is on thirs please, so i can check out the specs and be sure they are right for my application,

i cant quite make out the model number on that photo on the link above, but not sure if they are the same ones, as been mentioned the people you usually get em from are out of stock atm
Hi,Gazz&Sam,Yep they are the same as the ones I have but from a different supplier,I cannot check the nombers on mine at moment cos am in Holland with my boat,but as I said they are the ones.Regards,Dave.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back