New people to Motorhomes..Hi Ya! (1 Viewer)

M

Motorvanner

Deleted User
Hi to everbody.
We have just got our first wagon, newly retired and determined to see more of the UK.
It is a 5 year old Dethleffs Advantage, and we are finding out about alot of things, not least of which...meaning of life!

We could do with a bit of advice....any ideas/thoughts/experiences on Drive away awnings? We have a Fiamma Sun thingy fitted as standard, but want to be able to use the truck to visit places with minimum dismantling!

:winky: Great site! Hope we can contribute in time.
Thanks. Mike.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Motortvanner and :welcome:to MHFun.
There are lots of driveaway awnings on the market.
We chose a Khyam Motordome Excelsior.:thumb:
Perhaps a visit to a show where you can view several models at the same time may be a good idea.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum!:welcome:

Saw your note about awnings - and thought I'd share my experience.

I have a 2000 Dethleffs Esprit, and it too has a Fiamma. However, with 2 youngish kids, needed a "sanity" room to escape or kick them into while cooking.

We look at the options, and our wallets, and decided onthe Movelite XL driveaway last year. If you've any experience erecting tents (with the beny poles" then this is similar). We timed it the last time out, and it took 20 minutes from unpack to glass of wine in hand.

There are 2 mounting options - throw-over straps (while they do tend to tap on the roof in a wind) or attaching to the Fiamma by means of an extra stip (which is not too dear). When pitched we use both, and sure the tapping lulls us off to sleep!:ROFLMAO:

Detaching is as easy as releasing the straps or removing the strip, and once you line up again it's just the same in reverse. There is also a new 2009 model of the Movelite, which gives an extra family tent space onthe side - handy if you every want to bring the grand-kids!

There are different models - more or less the same, but probably better qaulity. We're happy, but check out others like Khyam Motordome, Dorema to name but a few. Riversway / Waudbys etc all sell them online.

Best of luck on the road

Michael

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Welcome to the fun :welcome:

*Agrees with Brisey* :thumb:

Boo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Good morning Mike,

Welcome to FUN, if you need any advice on Awnings, a phone call will get you all you need:thumb:

The Fiamma is dead easy to erect and put away in its box, five minute jobby unless you are using a privacy which does take a bit more time.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We could do with a bit of advice....any ideas/thoughts/experiences on Drive away awnings? We have a Fiamma Sun thingy fitted as standard, but want to be able to use the truck to visit places with minimum dismantling!

Then don't use one :)

I've never seen a MH using one in our long 2 year career of MHing. I've seen caravan users putting up their awnings and it was a process similar to building the Millau Viaduc. Followed by demolishing the Millau Viaduc and you would not want to do this in wind and rain.

My wife wanted to purchase something like that or a gazebo, I stalled her, said "lets see if we need one" and we never had. I suggest you see how it works our in real life. You will find days when the awning is put away sharpish before the wind rips it off, now picture a flimsy tent with string and thin poles in that wind.

It all depends on lifestyle, MHs are best for travellers, a few days and move one, if you want to stay for weeks then, ISTM, that caravans are a better vehicle.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Welcome.

Like Brisey we chose a Khyam Motordome Excelsior - did so after seeing friends erecting and dismantling theirs.

Like Brian, I've had fun watching the antics of caravan users putting up their awnings - even helped when it's been friends doing it. The Motordome is much easier.

Graham

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Like hilldweller, we decided to wait and see if we needed an awning.
I've yet to stay more than one night in any place so I don't think we would gain any benefit from having one.
I know a lot of members on here go abroad and indeed in hot weather I guess awnings come into their own by having somewhere to sit outside in the shade. I guess in this country I don't expect to sit outside much but if we do get some sunshine then we will make the most of it and if we want shade then it is just a matter of going inside the MH.
Also as there is just the 2 of us then we don't need a lot of gear to carry just the obligatory loungers and food and water.
Each to their own.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello n welcome. have tried awnigs etc most dont like the wind or rain. when its sunny they seem to shade the van not where u sit . its easier to sit on the other side of van in shade. unless u sit on the equator there is usually a shady side to your van. save the money use it for diesel n have a good trip . somewhere warm n dry not like cornwall today. cheers alan.

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
Hi Mike, as you I just bought my first camper, a 2007 Knaus Sun TI 600 and being retired I plan to travel as much as I can.
Wishing you lots of fun on the road.
Hans from Amsterdam, Holland.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site, don't forget the chatroom, and as newbies you will find JIM'S motorhome checklist an invaluable aid as well as the Destinations logbook.
In 44 years of motorhoming in various vans we have never used an awning apart from the odd week as a show. However we are not in the habit of using sites we wildcamp and move on each day to a fresh veiw. So see how you go, even if you use a site do you really want to leave anything behind under a flimsy peice of canvas. Not worth the risk, travel with less clutter in the first place.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've yet to stay more than one night in any place so I don't think we would gain any benefit from having one.
Each to their own.

2 years into MHing I'm beginning to wonder about this. Wife moans too.

We've just done 7 weeks and 5000 miles and the longest stop was 4 nights in Torre del Mar ( which is a nice quiet place to stay ). And 4 nights is only two days "holiday". That's a lot of driving !! Lot of money too.

On the other hand I could not just go and spend weeks in one place, I get bored easily.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi and welcome to Fun motorvanner:thumb:

We too use a Movelite XL, we looked a the Kyham, but it did'nt suit a unit. (hight reduced opening width to much.)

Ours is tied to the roof rail, so the throwover straps are redundant, and I would agree 20 minutes to assemble and pegout is about right. Leaving it on site reserves your pitch, and detatching and re-attaching is easy.

If we are staying say 5 nights or longer, then we tend to use the Movelite XL. The extra space is useful, and the whole unit makes an "airlock" between awning and M/H. It weighs in at about 14Kgs, I think, so if your payload capacity is good, it is a good investment. :Smile:

Enjoy.

Nomadic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back