Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi all.
Just a question about etiquette when using the facilities at Aires for the electric or water.

Electric:
Do you just run a cable to your MoHo or do you drive to the point for the allotted time that the electric is supplied for?

Water:
Almost likewise, do you run your hose to your MoHo from the tap or once again park at the tap for the allotted supply?

Been looking at the info in the 'All the Aires' book and have seen the various styles of facilities but wasn't sure what is the acceptable way of using them.

Sorry these seem a bit inane but we are off on our first French trip on Sunday where we intend to mainly stay on Aires so don't want to upset the locals!
Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Nik

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I think for the electric I would run a cable to my van but for water would move van to tap. That's just me........don't really know if there is a set etiquette. Somebody will though.........:rolleyes:

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Interesting question, we begin our trip to France on Monday.

KH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I think you have to park fairly close but able to allow others to use the waste drop facility but you usually just get an hour of electric from the borne, or 100 litres water for €2 unless another post for electric is available. Then you park as near as your cable allows.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Nobody will care how you do your services as long as you don't deprive someone else or their use.
Keeping your van on EHU and continually inserting tokens into the Flot Bleu might make you a few enemies!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I am parked on an aire at present which has free water and electricity. There are electric cables running across the car park to motorhomes. One very large MH has washing machine and airer next to his garage. No doubt many breaking etiquette but no complaints from anyone.
Everyone either drives to the water point or carries containers.
Incidentally, we are the only British MH on the aire.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If it reaches connect it, then disconnect when finished. Don't leave anything connected which prevents others from using the facility and if you have to drive don't park for an hours electricity in a manner which stops other using the water or waste. You will be fine.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Busy aires a bit of a bun fight and why we don't like them that much. Carry a splitter and second lead, then you can share the normally scarse power points...if you have amicable neighbour.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Busy aires a bit of a bun fight and why we don't like them that much. Carry a splitter and second lead, then you can share the normally scarse power points...if you have amicable neighbour.

The splitter is a great idea, it has enabled us to share electricity on many occasions.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
There is no standard Aire facility point
Some have a service point with a single tap, which people use for rinsing toilet cassette and drinking water - so take aniticeptic spray and wipes
Like most things in life - act reasonably and you'll be fine

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I am parked on an aire at present which has free water and electricity. There are electric cables running across the car park to motorhomes. One very large MH has washing machine and airer next to his garage. No doubt many breaking etiquette but no complaints from anyone.
Everyone either drives to the water point or carries containers.
Incidentally, we are the only British MH on the aire.

Hi flamenca, where are you ?, just interested.
Terry

Deleted User
Best advice is to not worry about "rules" too much and just be sensible. It's not the UK people won't throw a hissy if you dare to cross their "pitch".

Most people are passing through on aires so fill and dump at the borne, if they are staying a few days you'll see the odd water carrier or watering can in use.

If there are electric points around the Aire, be prepared to share if they are limited (multi adapters are the future!) don't be scared to ask to plug into your neighbours van if your really desperate. (Most of them use looooong extension cables with multi adapters)

It's rare to see the lecky point on the borne being used tbh (unless someone's desperate for a battery top up) but people will go to all sorts of lengths to get connected if it's free!!

Relax, be sensible and take your lead from others (remember it's not the UK, nor the Caravan Club)

Having said that, under no circumstances block the borne :mad:

Edit..

Don't worry about using them, worry about finding the buggers!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Nik

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Thanks all for your sensible advice. Eurotunnel tomorrow at 1820 then our 1st aire is one of those near St Omer. Got a couple plotted just in case then it's south via Reims towards Lyon/Limoges . Want to stop for 4 days somewhere in that general area for some cycling and walking. Any recommendations please.
Thanks again
Nik.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hope your first aire is Arques, nice aire , secure , by small lake / reservior, with water garden behind and next door to a campsite locked in at night about 9pm unlocked at 7am.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Hi flamenca, where are you ?, just interested.
Terry
I was in Cleden Poher, Finisterre but we have moved on to Le Faouet for the Fete due cheval de trait.

Deleted User
Thanks all for your sensible advice. Eurotunnel tomorrow at 1820 then our 1st aire is one of those near St Omer. Got a couple plotted just in case then it's south via Reims towards Lyon/Limoges . Want to stop for 4 days somewhere in that general area for some cycling and walking. Any recommendations please.
Thanks again
Nik.

How long are you over for Nik?

Reims - Lyon - Limoges is one hell of a drive for 4 days (don't underestimate the size of France, like I and many others do on their first visits)

If you only have a week and you like walking and cycling have you considered Reims - Nancy - Vosges Mountains national park?

Nothing worse than 3-4 days on the motorway for a week away

OP
OP
Nik

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi Mickye.
We are away for 2 weeks. Thought we would do 3 overnight hops, plonk wherever we got to, hopefully Limoges/Lyon area for 4 nights and then mosie back to Euro tunnel in hops. Apart from having to be at the tunnel on the 10th everything else is fluid.
I've been to other parts of France on my motorbike but never this part or in a motorhome.
Thanks for your help.
Best regards.
Nik

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Have fun in France, this time of year you may find a few free Aires and nearly everyone who uses Aires will be friendly! Relax & enjoy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back