Our first three days away in our Lunar Motorhome... (1 Viewer)

lilacben

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
wellington. somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well just come back from North Devon after our first trip out in the motorhome... Everything was going well until they put us on pitch under a tree....on a very bad slope....so we asked to move...which they let us do..next pitch ..seemed ok.. but then found we was still sloping ,downhill... ok,we can make do. I had read people say that they do not blocks under the wheels as have never had to use them.? Are they just lucky?... then found out the lovely cold fridge was going warmer and warmer? that never worked at all while away... all our fresh food after two days had to be thrown away. Oh dear not a good start... then one night hubby going down ladder to go to the loo suddenly disappeared half way down... asking where he had gone and the reply was on the floor....he had slipped of the ladder.! But are we pleased to be home ?? NO.! despite everything we had a great time.! Brenda

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Glad you managed to have fun on your first trip in spite of the slope :)

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't believe everything you read, of course there are times you need blocks, maybe not so often but you will, plus your fridge on gas won't like being on a slope. If it gets too bad it may stop working. Hubby and ladders? Perhaps one with wider rungs might help? Errrr, that's the ladder not hubby. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Yep watch them ladders I fell off when we had our first Bessie with a overcab bed and broke my heel bone. first week away in France of an eight week trip so I limped around for the next seven rather than go to hospital thinking it would get better or a cast perhaps and not be able to drive. Pete

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Pre-chill the fridge and its contents at home for at least 24 hours before setting off, stick ice packs in the freezer overnight then put them in the main fridge compartment during the day, especially if it's hot outside. Keep the MH (and thus fridge) level, and when on gas try using the middle setting on the thermostat which is generally most efficient. Don't overfill your fridge.

The 12v mode when travelling is unlikely to make it colder - it will just maintain whatever temperature it is when you set off.

To be honest most factory-fitted MH fridges are nothing special and struggle to cope with ambient temperatures above the low 20s, but careful fiddling around can help here.

When you said Lunar Motorhome I had visions of

SpaceballsEagle5_0016_Layer6.jpg

Upvote 0

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
now that really is a magicsurfbus!!! love your thinking! :D

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
What make of Lunar have you got? We have a Roadstar 720.
We are sitting on the shores of Loch Lomond at the moment with EHU & Gas on with the red light flashing on the fridge. worked a treat on 12v on the way up and when the gas was on for lunch!!
As said earlier, being level has a lot to do with it.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks Denise, Fridge has a mind of its own! Switched off & on three times and now working. Must have seen the Lump Hammer in my hand!!
Can go and retrieve the net of beers out of the Loch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lilacben

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
wellington. somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thankyou all for your replies...I found them all entertaining!..especially the Lunar Motor home photo.! Very good..lol.
Hubby is now pleased he isnt the only one to fall on his first trip out...not so good for you though Pete.!
Our fridge was on electric but couldnt get it to work on anything.
Ours is a Lunar Moonstar 570... 2009. Hope your fridge is now working and your beers are nice and cold. That was the only thing Bill was upset about..his got warm and he couldnt drink it ! Never mind he can have one tonight.!
Cheers! Brenda

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Our fridge was on electric but couldnt get it to work on anything.

Hi Lilacben

Whichever you select, gas/electric, you need to be reasonably level for an absorption fridge to work.

Our driveway slopes - not hugely - but enough to stop the fridge working. Before going away I usually do what magicsurfbus suggests and put a 2l bottle of frozen water in the fridge the day before to get the temp down. I sometimes put the levelling blocks out at home but generally stick with the frozen bottle.

Wouldn't be without the levelling blocks when away. Most times we don't need to use them but there's definitely been occasions when they were needed (some campsites descriptions of 'slightly sloping' could win awards for poetic licence!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lilacben

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
wellington. somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok thankyou will remember that in future trips... now can I ask a question please ? which levelers have you all bought? I am now looking to buy some but would like a recommendation as so many. Thankyou Brenda

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I have fiamma wedge and step type one which I have used with the caravan for donkeys years and will be using then with my motorhome from now on. Very few places are level. Good luck, it is fun even when it is exasperating.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Glad it did not dim your enthusiasm,

1. It is no fun parking on a slope and after a couple of days can make you feel quite ill. Levelling blocks are the way to go

2. Quite right your fridge won't work properly.

3. The ladder, go to B&Q buy some of that foam they put around pipes, fasten them on the rungs of the ladder with cable ties, this should stop any slipping.

4. If you are given a bad pitch ask to be moved to a better one, if not find another site, its supposed to be a pleasure and a poor pitch makes for a poor weekend.

5. Good on you for not been put off enjoy your Motorhome that's what it's all about.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like you had an 'interesting' time. Glad you enjoyed it.

Upvote 0

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Glad you still liked it!

We had our first outing last weekend and as soon as we returned I bought a set of these on eBay £23 delivered ! Even though we were on a slight slope it still niggled me!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Like others we have Millenco Quattro. They are wide and sturdy and give four levels but if you haven't already realised this you soon will: Ramps under the front wheels don't give the same hight gain as under the rear ones. That's because the front suspension compresses under the weight of the van. So if you have a severe slope to deal with and you have the option of which way to face, try reversing up the ramps under the back wheels (but make sure you don't cover the waste water outlet in doing so, if you use a waste hog). I've never slipped down the ladder from the bed, but a few weeks ago we were on a sloping pitch with the rear of the van higher than normal and thus the electric step a good foot above the ground. To make things worse, there was dew on the step as I stepped down.....and ended up on the wet grass on my backside, minus dignity and with no sympathy from the boss. C'est la vie!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back