Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I've been suffering from motorhome envy all summer! Every time one pulls into a car park on Dartmoor I get very jealous, particularly if it's a Hymer A class lol.

Anyway I have decided to put things right and dig deep! As I'm new to this I want to start off with a modest budget and something I can trust.

So if anyone is looking to let one go now that the summer has passed let me know.

Thanks and naturally all advice gratefully received☺

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Thanks and naturally all advice gratefully received☺

Hi Triple7, and welcome (have I been here long enough to start welcoming people I wonder...)

all advice - yes, get a Hymer (other opinions are available...)

I think an idea of how deep you can dig would help focus any advice?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, there was s good Hymer advertised on here this morning 1999 Hymer with slight damage for £13,000 something seemed like a great buy for someone. Have a look in classified.
:welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I purposely left that out through embarrassment; as close to £10k as possible without buying a lemon!

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hello Welcome to Fun, there was s good Hymer advertised on here this morning 1999 Hymer with slight damage for £13,000 something seemed like a great buy for someone. Have a look in classified.
:welc:
Thanks Carol, I had spotted it and posted a message.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
No need to be embarrassed, that's a healthy budget. I paid just north of £7k for my '91 Hymer four years ago, and have just taken a wonderful trip down to the South of France.

My advice would be to go for something similar and keep a bit back in an "issue fund" just in case (also to spend a bit on toys...) rather than stretch yourself to the limit.

Next question would be what do you want to use it for?

If you want to hare around for quick weekends away and squeeze into your supermarket carpark or festivals etc, a van conversion might be the best way, if you want to spend all summer on a campsite with a family of six a big old tag-axle would suit more.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just had a quick look and the seller went off line just as you posted, not sure if you're able to use the private message option unless your a paid up member, really is the best forum around for information and research. Until 1st October it is £10 for the year after that it goes up to £15, still excellent value for money though. Good Luck in your search.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
No need to be embarrassed, that's a healthy budget. I paid just north of £7k for my '91 Hymer four years ago, and have just taken a wonderful trip down to the South of France.

My advice would be to go for something similar and keep a bit back in an "issue fund" just in case (also to spend a bit on toys...) rather than stretch yourself to the limit.

Next question would be what do you want to use it for?

If you want to hare around for quick weekends away and squeeze into your supermarket carpark or festivals etc, a van conversion might be the best way, if you want to spend all summer on a campsite with a family of six a big old tag-axle would suit more.
That's very encouraging feedback. I was worried I couldn't get anything serviceable.

It's main purpose is to support my hobby (Aerial Photography). I often need to get up well before dawn to travel to a location in time for sunrise so I think having a MH would make life a lot easier. As this takes up all my spare time I'm not looking for a project! Also I do love the look of a Hymer ☺

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome buddy(y)

Oh and good choice;) and good luck with your search :)

Oh and you wanna keep out of those car parks you'll be getting yourself a name:D

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Just had a quick look and the seller went off line just as you posted, not sure if you're able to use the private message option unless your a paid up member, really is the best forum around for information and research. Until 1st October it is £10 for the year after that it goes up to £15, still excellent value for money though. Good Luck in your search.
Many thanks Carol, I guess I should join and revise my budget to £9,990 lol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you look in your in box at the top you should have a message of the guy selling the Hymer, but you won't be able to reply because you will have used your 5 free posts up, when your membership goes through you will be able to post again. (y)

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
:welc::party:

A few examples off Ebay.

This one is a LHD poor listing worth asking for more info/photographs?
Although the description says A class I think it is a Coachbuilt, but worth a phone call.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

I do not know anything about the various models here, but I am sure that someone will be able to offer advice should you require it (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
:welc::party:

A few examples off Ebay.

This one is a LHD poor listing worth asking for more info/photographs?
Although the description says A class I think it is a Coachbuilt, but worth a phone call.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

I do not know anything about the various models here, but I am sure that someone will be able to offer advice should you require it (y)

Many thanks for the links. ... you can get a lot for the money..... The last one looks particularly interesting. I wonder what the reputation of the Peugeot 2.5 is like?

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks to all.

Having carefully read all the guides on how to go about buying a MH, I appear to be ignoring them all !

After doing some viewings yesterday I've realised that, to borrow a quote from the Jaws movie, "I need a bigger boat". The amount of equipment I have to carry means having a garage is essential. So all my previous plans are in tatters along with the budget lol

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Layout layout layout.. and remember, there will always be some compromise, the most common being on the road size (driving parking low bridges) vs on site size (comfort, storage space, fixed beds)

Only you know what you can handle but bear in mind a garage is unlikely to come in a 10k van under 8m

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
a bit of haggling and a friendly word with the bank manager:-

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Layout layout layout.. and remember, there will always be some compromise, the most common being on the road size (driving parking low bridges) vs on site size (comfort, storage space, fixed beds)

Only you know what you can handle but bear in mind a garage is unlikely to come in a 10k van under 8m

Yes I've amended my original post to a £15-25k budget. Because Hymer make such good use of space there wasn't enough left over for my equipment. ... I'm on a learning (steep) curve!

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
How about a small MoHo with box-trailer for the equipment?

My brother and sister-in-law used to run a shoe business and spent fortunes hiring vans hours unloading them after a show; the solution of an always ready trailer seemed obvious to me but for some reason not to them...

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
How about a small MoHo with box-trailer for the equipment?

My brother and sister-in-law used to run a shoe business and spent fortunes hiring vans hours unloading them after a show; the solution of an always ready trailer seemed obvious to me but for some reason not to them...
I thought of that but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it unattended.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Is it too late to retract my introduction op?

I thought I knew what I wanted....... or maybe its a case of what I wanted and what I needed were two different things! Now I have a deposit down on a van I fear I neither want or need lol.

To cut a long story short during the viewing process I realised I needed more space. So from originally hoping to get a relatively small Hymer A- Class I've ended up with a relatively large one on twice the budget!!!!!! Its probably too large but I couldn't resist :) " I can resist anything except temptation" O. Wilde.

Is there a sub-forum for newbie MHers requiring counselling ? ;-)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back