Leaking rear roof vent. (1 Viewer)

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all, just returned from from our two week Europe trip. All went ok until our last couple of days, then Belgiums lovely roads got the better of the van. Luckily it was on the last night. we discovered a leak in the rear skylight on the 544. I'm hoping it's just the seal gone. what I would like to know is, what is the best sealant to take on this task?

Also had trouble with the wipers, that's for another post.

TIA. Oozzie

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Always use non-setting mastic. Best to remove the skylight, clean off the old sealant (white spirit helps) then apply new mastic all around. Any decent caravan/motor home accessory shop will sell it.

Trevor

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all, just returned from from our two week Europe trip. All went ok until our last couple of days, then Belgiums lovely roads got the better of the van. Luckily it was on the last night. we discovered a leak in the rear skylight on the 544. I'm hoping it's just the seal gone. what I would like to know is, what is the best sealant to take on this task?

Also had trouble with the wipers, that's for another post.

TIA. Oozzie

I would use this;

Broken Link Removed

(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The front one leaked on my 544, I removed the perspex vent , cleaned thoroughly and removed surplus old sealant, then applied Dicor non setting sealant as used on RVs. No problem since although probably best to completely remove vent housing before re sealing.
The perfectly flat roof prevents run off if parked absolutely level.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As said.. use a non setting mastic, either in a tube or roll.. the roll is less messy

Carafax IDL 99 is ideal

Lisaold

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Renault Knaus Sun ti
Exp
We have recently had the same problem. In the end we cleaned off old sealant, cleaned with nail varnish remover and resealed with Sikaflex. Success!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Sealant is fine and dandy.........till you need to take it off again one day. Mastic ( which is non setting) is hard enough to get off but I would do that rather than sealant. Just my thoughts.:)

OP
OP
oozzie
Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the replies people, bought some non setting mastic from local caravan/moho dealer. Going to tackle it at the weekend. I've not noticed it leaking since, but know it will next time away.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I replaced our bathroom skylight not so long back. The job is dead easy, and no setting mastic is the way to go. But word of warning, don't be tempted to over tighten the screws. They just need to be tight enough to compress the mastic!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Thanks for the replies people, bought some non setting mastic from local caravan/moho dealer. Going to tackle it at the weekend. I've not noticed it leaking since, but know it will next time away.
We noticed that our (old) Hymer roof was slightly dished around the vent, and even with it well sealed, (the vent that is), in heavy rain, we still get an odd drip, because it's ponding, and slightly overflows the opener seal. Now, we just use the chocks when away from home if heavy rain is forecast, no problems since. (y)

OP
OP
oozzie
Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Tootles, our drip/leak happened after about 10 mins of torrential rain. The roof was closed, it was when we got parked up that the water started coming in through the screw holes on the vent and continued dripping for about an hour. It crossed my mind that it could of been the amount of rain, but i cant stop thinking it will happen again.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi Tootles, our drip/leak happened after about 10 mins of torrential rain. The roof was closed, it was when we got parked up that the water started coming in through the screw holes on the vent and continued dripping for about an hour. It crossed my mind that it could of been the amount of rain, but i cant stop thinking it will happen again.
That really does sound like the seal has failed, I'd get up there and reseal it, you have got to remove all of the old sealant and get everything really clean before you apply the mastic. Meths will clean up all the rubbish off the roof.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Others may have their pet favourite seals and mastics.. when I did ours I used plumbers mate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back