Them Fridge vent cover things............ (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
How many fit those fridge vent covers ?

I was going to remove my two covers and cut two pieces of Thermal insulation board leaving a gap at the bottom for ventilation.

But my vents are grey so if I fit the white winter covers that I can buy off Ebay for 16 quid it might remind me to take the blooming things back off again ..

Are they even worth fitting ? Or is my insulation board a better idea ?

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
I always fit mine when not in use as well as when I clean the motorhome, aiso use in winter when tem drops !(y)(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always fit them in the colder months and leave them off (but in the van) in the warmer months. I used to put them on for cleaning when I used a hose but don't since I started using Onedrywash.

We didn't get any covers when we bought this van so I bought a pair. They are definitely whiter than the vents themselves but who cares? I don't look at them :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They should be fitted when the fridge is being used where the external air temp is below 10 deg C.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
must confess.. never had them on any camper, or caravan..

and yes, we do go away in winter

edit..
just found a photo from Dec 1999 at Aviemore

as you can see .. no covers..

img433(1).jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How many fit those fridge vent covers ?

I was going to remove my two covers and cut two pieces of Thermal insulation board leaving a gap at the bottom for ventilation.

But my vents are grey so if I fit the white winter covers that I can buy off Ebay for 16 quid it might remind me to take the blooming things back off again ..

Are they even worth fitting ? Or is my insulation board a better idea ?
Simple aesthetically pleasing answer - spray paint them to match! (y)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Never used them. I put tape across the inside when it really gets cold leaving a strip top and bottom for ventilation. Never see the tape from the outside, if that bothers you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do they clip onto the existing vents or replace them ?
Usually clip/hook on in some way - it depends on your vents as to which covers you need so make sure you get the right ones/size.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Make a big difference in the winter, but must not be used when running on gas. Also should be used when washing the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Make a big difference in the winter, but must not be used when running on gas. Also should be used when washing the van.
I thought they had 'gaps' to allow this?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I thought they had 'gaps' to allow this?
Yes they do. The Dometic ones on both our vans have been fine when running on gas.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The gaps are to allow air circulation otherwise the evaporator coils will not work without airflow over them. The is not sufficent for the extra heat generated when running on gas and venting the flue. Try it you will find the top vent gets boiling hot.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Should be fine on gas there are no instructions to the contrary in the Dometic user manual

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I can find some that say they fit the vents on our van.. The actual size of the part they supply is smaller than the vents so I have to assume they clip onto the existing vents and not replace them.

Would be great if anyone could confirm ? Out vents are Thetford.

Thanks for the replies !

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
They simply clip on and a turn with a penny --no need to remove even on gas
terry

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The gaps are to allow air circulation otherwise the evaporator coils will not work without airflow over them. The gap is not sufficent for the extra heat generated when running on gas and venting the flue. Try it you will find the top vent gets boiling hot.

Although there is nothing in the latest Domectic manual I believe this is an omission error, Dometic and their agents still say not to be used when running on gas.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think you said that 20 minutes ago Lenny lol
Have you got a factual link to this ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not here for a argument but only the right hand side of the top vent which does not get covered gets hot ;)it's ment to :LOL:
terry

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
On our Burstner which has a Dometic fridge there were no vent covers supplied when new.
Haven't needed them either because we never go/stay anywhere cold and the van is never usually in storage for more than a couple of weeks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our dometic 'fridge came with very clear instructions for once. Fit the covers when the temperature falls below 10°C. No mention of running on gas or not and we've run ours for weeks on gas with covers fitted and we are still here.

I suspect there may be or have been models where the covers need to be removed when running on gas. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions is all I can suggest.

The 'fridge will work without the covers in cold weather as others have said but generating cold from heat is a wierd business with a gases being absorbed into liquids then boiled off and condensing into other liquids. The key is the difference between the ambient and refrigerator temperatures and anything outside the optimum will reduce efficiency thus increasing energy use. Which might be important if it is gas.

Reactions: LAM

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think you said that 20 minutes ago Lenny lol
Have you got a factual link to this ?
Stupid tablet playing silly buggers. The second version did have the full post.
Every thing going wrong this month, fridge, waterpump & now the netbook. At least still working for Autoroute as long as you don't need to type anything. Would buy a new one but don't fancy a Greek keyboard.:sleep:

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our dometic 'fridge came with very clear instructions for once. Fit the covers when the temperature falls below 10°C. No mention of running on gas or not and we've run ours for weeks on gas with covers fitted and we are still here.
As I said in my earlier post talk to Dometic or their agents they are quite specific that they should not be run on gas with the vents on. Most modern installations do not have a separate gas flue the combustable gases are just vented into to general area behind the fridge.
With larger fridge freezers it you leave the vents on the top vent gets very hot, too hot for comfort, that's what made me enquire about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a cheaper way to do it is remove the vent and cut a piece of bubble foil to fit but allowing an airgap. then hold it in place with the vent

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As I said in my earlier post talk to Dometic or their agents they are quite specific that they should not be run on gas with the vents on. Most modern installations do not have a separate gas flue the combustable gases are just vented into to general area behind the fridge.
With larger fridge freezers it you leave the vents on the top vent gets very hot, too hot for comfort, that's what made me enquire about it.
Thanks for that. Ours has a separate flue which is not covered by the vents.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if the fridge has no flue then the vents must be clear all the dometics ive had have the flue incorerated into the vent on the right hand side and the winter covers do not cover this but from what ive read on here some of the later fridges are sealed into the van and flue into the cavity behind obviously these cant be covered

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The side of my van has loads of the vents, The bottom of the fridge for access to the working bits, top of said then there are ones for the top of the grill which we do not use and the op of the oven which we do use. Trouble is there is a screaming cold draught through both the oven and grill vents which are open straight into the living area. I have taped and put the covers onto the grill one and that cut it back but the oven needs the opening BUT WHY to the inside as well, you can look straight out of the grills on both items from the inside and the draught is not conducive t a warm nights sleep as it is opposite the bed area, I tried taping it off but that was not good looking, any suggestions, it seems to me that van is designed for the south of Spain not UK weather, there are cold draughts from all over the place including up through the seat belt slots straight onto the other bed, even the new curtain we made does not stop them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The side of my van has loads of the vents, The bottom of the fridge for access to the working bits, top of said then there are ones for the top of the grill which we do not use and the op of the oven which we do use. Trouble is there is a screaming cold draught through both the oven and grill vents which are open straight into the living area. I have taped and put the covers onto the grill one and that cut it back but the oven needs the opening BUT WHY to the inside as well, you can look straight out of the grills on both items from the inside and the draught is not conducive t a warm nights sleep as it is opposite the bed area, I tried taping it off but that was not good looking, any suggestions, it seems to me that van is designed for the south of Spain not UK weather, there are cold draughts from all over the place including up through the seat belt slots straight onto the other bed, even the new curtain we made does not stop them.
you could fit an aluminium closable hit and miss vent on the inside that can be slid open from outside
http://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent-adjustable-louvre-vent-silver-76-x-229mm/31441
or fit outside but paint to match the van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back