Serious question. (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We are sat in our van on the Aire at Honfleur next to a French couple. We've heard a lot of arguing coming from thir van and I don't like the sounds the woman keeps making.
I'm not scared of confrontation but Sue is just the opposite.
It's gone quite at the minute but what would you have done and what would you do if it starts again ?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My French is non existent, I would attempt to enlist the help of another french-man before going in, best of luck with that one.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Are you sure they are not making noisy "sport de chambre" you could always put on your best smiley face, carry a bottle of champers tap on the window and call "coo coo les amoureux"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Go and knock and check everything is ok. To do nothing is not an option.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We are sat in our van on the Aire at Honfleur next to a French couple. We've heard a lot of arguing coming from thir van and I don't like the sounds the woman keeps making.
I'm not scared of confrontation but Sue is just the opposite.
It's gone quite at the minute but what would you have done and what would you do if it starts again ?

Move!

enlist the help of others on the aire to asses things, then move..

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Unless you truly suspect one is killing the other stay away, arguments between couples are rarely made any better by "well meaning" folks adding a their bit ..... and if you peak little or no French .... WHAT are you going to say ... the response could be rather abrupt and rude ... but if you speak no French ... what the hell ... in emergencies dial 112 .. English speaking emergency services

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Go and ask if you can borrow something like a corkscrew or tin opener and that way you'll get to see she's ok

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My advice is to stop using Aires, they park you too close together.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
The french do tend to be "vocal and animated" our friends argue such that you may think they would rip out each others throats voices at full volume. Maybe not at the same level as the Italians but still could be rather disconcerting for we brits wo in general tend to argue under our breaths, we have "heated discussions" whilst preparing the veg for dinner, glaring at each other whilst at the same time smiling at those who may pass within hearing range, raising one hand as if to say "hi folks".
Angry words exchanged at a whisper, rage conveyed with a smile and all the time looking like the perfect couple to all those near that we may be considered as "that lovely couple, so much in love ..... they NEVER argue you know". God forbid that others may think that we too have disagreements and cannot always see eye to eye, compound the fact that we choose to live for days and weeks at a time in a small metal box no where to escape from each other, it's peeing down with rain blowing a howler and the bloody tele won't work........ ARGHHHH!!!! .... You loose it and all pretence is dropped and war commences, all the bottled up rage comes pouring fourth, minor misunderstandings from eons back are brought into the argument to aide your indignation that your better half cannot or will not see YOU ARE RIGHT ....... Veg is now being HACKED to death, spuds tremble in the pan knowing that after being boiled to death you will bash the hell out of them ...... Dog is now in a corner terrified to such a degree it has gone and shit on the floor, you raise the big sharp knife and bring it down with all your force to try and cut the turnip in half in one go ......... half way through it stops ..... it's stuck ...... bloody thing won't come out again ...... bloody holiday .... shitty weather .... even worse I've overstepped the mark ..... said things I shouldn't have ..... O have I got some humble pie to eat ..... F**K .....F**K .... F**K could it get any worse ... (tap .. tap .. tap) should be a knock but the owner of the tapping hand is a little scared so it comes out as a pathetic tap. You look at each other, the dog trembles again..... you open the MH door and there before you stands a chappie with a string of onions round his neck, pushing a push bike and wearing a beret . "allo . I come for big noise BLAH ..BLAH .. BLAH .. your wife is good .. worried you make she dead ?? You take a deep breath and say "Well hello dear chap, please do come in let me show you all is happy in camp nous" NOT BLOODY LIKELY .... A serious subject and not one easily covered I suspect, I put a humerous slant on it and hope I have not offended anyone who has experienced violence .... but for my humble part .... I would council caution in such circumstances, with English speakers in dispute you may be able to get the gist of the problem but in another language? . My wife and I speak french but when a couple "go at it" they use slang and words cut short, words melt into each other and comprehension for us is lost. If truly worried, and there are others of the same nationality as the "at war couple" politely, as best you can, ask them to intervene, they know the customs appropriate, if not ring 112 the international emergency services ... Keep yourself safe, there are sharp knifes in that there MH

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
In true British style you make sure he is not abusing her and if he is thump him.
I think this is a very fair question the OP asks.
If you do nothing and he or she is knocking the other one about then what.
A good friend of mine said the problem with the British is not that they look for trouble its that they dont walk away from it.
If it was next to me and it got realy bad I would interfere & send the wife round.
Well she speaks French(y)

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Go and ask if you can borrow something like a corkscrew or tin opener and that way you'll get to see she's ok

Crikey! What's French for corkscrew? :LOL:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
It's a turny in pully out thingy mi bob (left hand holding non existant bottle .. right hand making turning a screwdriver type of move) ..... makes a ploppy sound (finger inside cheek pulled forward to create ploppy noise) left hand now holding imaginary glass whilst right hand tilts pretend wine bottle) hmmm (rubbing belly) glug glug (pretending to pour wine down neck) or if you prefer tire bouchon (pull cork)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Stick a big note to the outside of their side window written in french stating if you 2 dont pack it in i will come in there and knock you both out !
Then knock the window hard and run like flip and hide behind a bush till they go back inside ! :france::mask:

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We've moved further up the river but before we moved I saw both of them this morning and said the customary "Bonjour".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back