Road Legal Quad Bikes and towing? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My license only permits me to tow up to 750Kg. I am looking at a road legal Quad Bike like this one.
Broken Link Removed

Has anyone had one/used one? Any thing I should know? Pros/Cons?

Thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
remember they have brakes fitted to the rear wheels so any trailer regardless of weight that has brakes fitted they must work.
you come back to aframe and brakes etc .
the single lift m,bike tow adaptors also fail in this .

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was looking at a Qpod for towing ...

they can be towed with the front wheels off the road..

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

I did look at the qpods years ago. Saw them at the shows as well. I don't know why but I think I prefer the quad bikes?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had another thought. If you get a tiny trailer just big enough for the Quad bike. Could you fit a tow bar to the quad bike and tow it's own trailer for doing shopping etc? Now that would make it really useful.

PS: Please bear in mind I am a fulltimer so my uses are bit out of the ordinary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes and you can get trailers ideal for that use . you do see then abroad in winter .lots of m,homers have quads as the second transport.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In the end I decided against the Qpod, or indeed towing anything again.. had enough of trailers and toads..

No matter what anyone says, a trailer restricts where you can park, can make it difficult to manoeuvre.. and often where you can pitch.. and A frame is now 'no go' abroad, particularity Germany and Spain .. so bought two electric bikes and a doggy bike trailer for the dogs which all fits into the garage.. the trailer also doubles up a shopping hauler..

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fifth wheeler or mini artic is the way.
its slowly catching on .
nothing wrong with towing the right trailer. :)

Reactions: DBK
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just found this one. better looking and cheaper.
http://www.quadbike-ltd.co.uk/index.php/the-venom/

I can't see how the Venom can be road legal in the guise they show, with a complete lack of Mudguards of any sort.
I can see it working having a trailer to transport the quad on and then tow it with the quad, as long as this type of quad can have a tow bar, I think the type commonly seen in France are more farm oriented types like the Yamaha Grizzly.
Just my thoughts

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can't see how the Venom can be road legal in the guise they show, with a complete lack of Mudguards of any sort.
I can see it working having a trailer to transport the quad on and then tow it with the quad, as long as this type of quad can have a tow bar, I think the type commonly seen in France are more farm oriented types like the Yamaha Grizzly.
Just my thoughts

I don't know about that. I just had a quick look and the only thing I could find after a quick look was that Mudguards aren't required for the MOT. However Regulation 63 of “The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078) states motorcycles must have one fitted. As this isn't a motorbike I am not sure if it applies. The front mudguard on a motorcycle is there to protect the rider not other road users I believe?

I really don't know on this but I can't see it getting type approval if it was illegal?

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Just had another thought. If you get a tiny trailer just big enough for the Quad bike. Could you fit a tow bar to the quad bike and tow it's own trailer for doing shopping etc? Now that would make it really useful.
Lots of hill farmers have trailers on the back of their quad bikes.
Just one example.
Not sure if that particular one is suitable to carry the quad behind the m/h, but the principle is sound.

For shopping, there are also cargo racks & back boxes to fit directly onto the quad for load carrying - or sheep dog carrying, or even sheep for that matter.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
This was my first quad and trailer set up.

Little quad and trailer 023.jpg Little quad and trailer 020.jpg Little quad and trailer 027.jpg

This is the quad and A frame I use ATM.

new quad etc. 003.jpg new quad etc. 021.jpg new quad etc. 012.jpg

Down sides to using A frame, quad gets full of road grime, PITA to reverse if not straight back.

I will add more info on the quad etc later if interested.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmmm, I like the idea of a quad in a trailer but I think I would make a frame for a cover, bit like a 'tilt' on an HGV, comes completely apart to unload. We've been in Jocklandshire for two and a half weeks, only had rain for a couple of afternoons while on the move and the back of our MoHo is ready for planting spuds it's that dirty. :eek:

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Hmmmm, I like the idea of a quad in a trailer but I think I would make a frame for a cover, bit like a 'tilt' on an HGV, comes completely apart to unload. We've been in Jocklandshire for two and a half weeks, only had rain for a couple of afternoons while on the move and the back of our MoHo is ready for planting spuds it's that dirty. :eek:

I have a fitted cover for it:D, but do not have any pictures, except the last picture shows the cover hanging on the motorhome wing mirror (y)

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All other discussions aside Karl, my advise would be avoid the Venom.. If you are serious about a quad go for something that has a decent reputation and one that spares are readily available for.

The Yamaha Raptor ( great bike ! ) or the various Quadzillas' are about your best bet. Both are available with a 250cc engine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back