Humber Bridge - TAG system starting shortly (1 Viewer)

What charge do you think I should pay ...

• Pay cash at the booth at the correct higher rate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Downplate the camper

• Teach the camper to swim

• Total voters

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Humber Bridge is currently a standard 'pay as you cross' bridge, ie you stop at the toll booth and hand over cash and go on your merry way, however they are shortly due to start an optional new 'tag' system where you place an electronic tag in your vehicle which automatically records your crossings and deducts the cost from the account you've set up. There are different costs depending on the vehicle's MAM as shown below with a 10% discount for 'tag' users:

Humber Bridge charges.png

I was considering getting an account especially since we have the static caravan on the other side, however I'm not so sure now that we've uprated our camper to 4250kg - we normally pay £1.50 a crossing but according to the above should now pay £4.00 a crossing! :eek:

If I get a tag for the camper I'll have to obviously submit the 'new' details so the cost will be a lot more, but if I continue to pay in cash each time it won't as they can't tell just by looking at us that we are registered over 3500kg, so will just charge us the minimum £1.50 each time unless we tell them otherwise. Whilst it is more than likely that we'd be under 3500kg as we wouldn't be taking all our holiday chattels with us, including a full tank of water (which itself would be 100kg), but obviously it's based on the 'registered' MAM, not the actual weight when you cross.

So a moral question for you lot ... should I get a tag and pay the 'correct' fee, or continue to pay in cash at the lower rate ... decisions, decisions .... :confused:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not bad for a bridge which was to become toll free once the initial cost of building was recooped, which was a few years ago.

The Humber bridge company appear to do as they please now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
e normally pay £1.50 a crossing but according to the above should now pay £4.00 a crossing!
Thats for commercial vehicles only.....motorhomes of any weight and number of axles all pay the same.
Last time i crossed we were in our 7500kg RV and paid the same as a car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
About time the bridge was paid for and the toll stopped. I'm afraid I'd pay the lower fee until the tag becomes compulsory, or cross by car if you're going to the static.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thats for commercial vehicles only.....motorhomes of any weight and number of axles all pay the same.
Last time i crossed we were in our 7500kg RV and paid the same as a car.
Silly me, I just read the 'application form' for the Tag which didn't make this totally clear ... I wonder how many people won't realise and wrongly sign up for the higher rate.

Problem solved though, it's just a matter of do I get a Tag or stick with the cash ... although I suppose I could buy a book of vouchers before they stop doing them and get a 10% discount that way.

Still and 'interesting' moral question though ...

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
About time the bridge was paid for and the toll stopped. I'm afraid I'd pay the lower fee until the tag becomes compulsory, or cross by car if you're going to the static.
I'm not complaining about the cost of the crossing at only £1.50 - it used to be double that and as it saves a very long and more expensive drive round it's worth it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Consider how long the Forth road bridge has been in existance.......and it was only last year the toll was scrapped.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Consider how long the Forth road bridge has been in existance.......and it was only last year the toll was scrapped.
... only because they finally finished painting it!!! :LOL:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I remember crossing the humber bridge about 25 years ago pulling a small camping trailer and the toll was double that of a car.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The forth road bridge toll was actually scrapped by the Scottish Government........as it did with the Tay .....the Skye and the Erskine bridges.

Just before they scrapped the toll on the forth they had spent millions on new road layout and new toll booths........typical

The toll on the forth was scrapped in 2008..... More than 7 years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back