Can anyone tell me what ?????? is (2 Viewers)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi folks,

I have a choice of cables to run from the 12volt socket in the cab to the Sat Nav.
One of them has, along it's length, a black plastic cylinder, measuring approx 40mm x 20mm.

Can anyone out there tell me what this 'extra' bit is for, (compared to the other two cables which are just err, cables)

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Taa Brian (if I may be so bold). I'm no wiser.
Supplimentary Question.
If I had the choice of thick cable with no ferrite ring or cable with ferrite ring, which do I choose (or does it make no difference).
I only ask because the 'thicky' one has a 'proper' plug on the end with green light as well, to go into the supply. The one with the ring is just a cable with a 'USB type connector to go into the 12volt socket

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Try both. Use the radio at the same time. If you get no interference with either then choose the one your prefer. If you get interference on the radio (etc) then you'll be better off using the lumpy cable. Works both ways, so it may stop interference on the device it's plugging into, too. The thicker cable may be shielded with braid along the length offering similar protection.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The ring serves as a suppressor to filter out any high frequency noise in the electrical supply. I suspect your satnav won't need it, my Garmin works fine from a supply which does have a ferrite ring.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If I had the choice of thick cable with no ferrite ring or cable with ferrite ring, which do I choose (or does it make no difference).

Probably no difference at all but I do worry about the piddling little USB micro connectors and on that basis the most flexible lead will put the least strain on the connector.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Hi folks,
One of them has, along it's length, a black plastic cylinder, measuring approx 40mm x 20mm.

What is the make/model of the Sat Nav? One of mine (ages ago) had a cable with a cylinder along its length - it was something to do with receiving radio signals life traffic updates - unless it was plugged in using that cable it didn't get the traffic updates

Richard

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I too am concerned about the cable leading to the Sat Nav, but for other reasons.
We now have a 7" Chinese jobbie after our Garmin went blank on us on starting the 'Van during our travels.
It had worked perfectly on the day. I switched it off, disconnected it, locked up the 'van and got out.
On returning to the 'van I connected the Satnav up and THEN started the 'van. Nothing, nada, not a peep.
It has been suggested to me that on startup there was a power surge that 'crisped' the electronics inside the Garmin. I do not know, but the quotes (unseen) to repair it made me reach for the Chinese version.
I am now wary of starting up the vehicle with the Sat Nav connected. As my knowledge of sparky stuff could be written on the back of a stamp. (with enough space left for all verses of the National anthem), I'm being cautious. Very cautious.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
What is the make/model of the Sat Nav? One of mine (ages ago) had a cable with a cylinder along its length - it was something to do with receiving radio signals life traffic updates - unless it was plugged in using that cable it didn't get the traffic updates

Richard

Never had one Richard (Traffic Updates). On a trawl today I have discovered four cables that will do the job. The one with the cylinder has come from ???? Don't know.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The ring serves as a suppressor to filter out any high frequency noise in the electrical supply. I suspect your satnav won't need it, my Garmin works fine from a supply which does have a ferrite ring.
Should read "doesn't have a ferrite ring". :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

So does mine.

I use a longer lead than the one supplied so I can have the Garmin nav unit come on when I turn on the ignition. The longer lead I bought off Ebay for a couple of quid allows me to hide it away completely out of sight. It has not ferrite ring and everything works 100%

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I too am concerned about the cable leading to the Sat Nav, but for other reasons.
We now have a 7" Chinese jobbie after our Garmin went blank on us on starting the 'Van during our travels.
It had worked perfectly on the day. I switched it off, disconnected it, locked up the 'van and got out.
On returning to the 'van I connected the Satnav up and THEN started the 'van. Nothing, nada, not a peep.
It has been suggested to me that on startup there was a power surge that 'crisped' the electronics inside the Garmin. I do not know, but the quotes (unseen) to repair it made me reach for the Chinese version.
I am now wary of starting up the vehicle with the Sat Nav connected. As my knowledge of sparky stuff could be written on the back of a stamp. (with enough space left for all verses of the National anthem), I'm being cautious. Very cautious.

Update on the above.

SWMBO (She's the one who doesn't look like she's chewing a wasp in the Avatar) has a saying that she uses when referring to the computer.
She calls it her Brain. She says she can find out anything, (worried!!!) by just looking on the computer.
So, with this in mind I looked at the various methods of diagnosing the Garmin.
Now I had looked for a 'Reset' button, and, on not finding the familiar 'hole' in which to stick a paper clip, assumed it didn't have one.
Mary's 'Brain' said otherwise. Some nice gentleman has discovered that under the little plate on the back of the device is a raised pimple which is indeed a reset button.
I pressed it, plugged the thing into a power source and off it went. Not dead at all. It wanted to know why it wasn't in Walsall and insisted that I be there for several presses of buttons but now it's up and running again.

So, if your Garmin suddenly seems to curl up it's toes, you know where the 'reset' button is. It might not work but you could just be lucky.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The 'ferrite ring' is just that - a lump of ferrite material with a hole through which the cable passes uninterrupted. If any interference sneaks onto the USB power feed to the satnav any possible effect it might have is reduced by passing through the ferrite cylinder. If your satnav exhibits any strange behaviour (sudden glitches or shut-downs) it would be worth trying the suppressed cable but like most people I've not found it to be essential & I've just picked a USB cable of the right length that suits the position of the unit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back