Thetford fridge/freezer N150 mains problem. (1 Viewer)

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can anyone help? Our Thetford fridge freezer is not working on 240v and shows error code 1.

Have check voltage cable and tried another cable to be on the safe side with no luck, so now looking to check 5amp glass fuse but I can't find the dam thing, does anyone know where it's hiding?

If anyone else has had this problem, I would welcome advice.......constructive of course. ;-)

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We had that error code, needed a new PCB board, even though the fridge was only a few months old at the time :(
You can also try disconnecting the two big connecters that are behind the vents

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Can't remember the code now, but in France recently we were daisy changed from one socket, one of a number of units using it. When everyone had power on the fridge went on to gas, trying to put it on mains showed an error message. As soon as the units using the power dropped to three it rarely dropped mains power. It also happened on occasions when we put our own mains water heater on. We did complain about the power provision.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
greygit

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can't remember the code now, but in France recently we were daisy changed from one socket, one of a number of units using it. When everyone had power on the fridge went on to gas, trying to put it on mains showed an error message. As soon as the units using the power dropped to three it rarely dropped mains power. It also happened on occasions when we put our own mains water heater on. We did complain about the power provision.

I'm pretty certain it's not a power issue as I have now checked the power at the back of the fridge and it's in 390v region so next step is the fuse if I can find the dam thing. :mad:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Had similar problem. 240 element open circuit.

Unlikely to be able to replace it without removing the fridge.

Fuses are located on the power board PCB in a little black box the the 2 power connectors (flying leads) go too.

Had to take the fridge out on my kon-tiki and ran in to problems with element size. If ordering a new one make sure you get the model and serial number off the fridge and check with the supplier to get the right one.

Have a look on UTube for guides & info.

Edit after thought, search MHF forums for more info.

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Mains element failure is a common problem on any motor home fridge. Its usually possible to change it by pulling the fridge forward a few inches then access the element at the back of the fridge from the lower vent outside.
Trevor

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We had this two years ago (fridge 5 years old by then) it was a mains element failure. With our van it was impossible to check the element without removing the fridge. I ordered a new element on Ebay, removed the fridge, and fitted it. Problem solved. Bit of a job removing the fridge but managed it okay.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
As a matter of interest how old is the fridge?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
The fridges are made in the Netherlands and the elements are made in the US.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Had the same problem on our old caravan, the dealer apparently found a fault on the circuit board, a loose joint so re-soldered it. It worked for 5 minutes but had to go back so they fitted a new board and that cured the problem. They are not that expensive but very difficult gain access as the fridge obviously has to come out.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Possibly but remember the US still has a huge manufacturing industry unlike the UK.

Shanette

Free Member
Jan 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Have thetford fridge freezer. Goes on 240v but not on battery or gas. Gas coming through and sounds like it is lighting? Anyone can tell me what could be wrong.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have thetford fridge freezer. Goes on 240v but not on battery or gas. Gas coming through and sounds like it is lighting? Anyone can tell me what could be wrong.
You need the fault code when it fails to lite.
Is the fa's lighting but continues to spark or just not lighting.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Usually the fridge 12V element is wired so that it only works when the engine is running. Also when the engine stops, there is a delay of at least 15 minutes before the gas tries to ignite. This is for safety, so the gas doesn't try to light when you stop to refuel.

it's quite common for the gas jet to become blocked, or the ignition spark to be incorrectly positioned. On many installations, you can remove the lower external vent, to access the lower back of the fridge, where the gas flame is.

The good news is, if it works on 240V, that means the cooling circuit is working, and that's the expensive bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back