Storage . What needs doing ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our van won't get used now until after Christmas when we head to Spain..

Today I drained the water tank and opened the valve to drop the water out of the heater. Opened all the taps in the sinks and shower and set them in halfway position between hot and cold. Emptied the loo both the cassette and the flush water tank.

What else should I do !

Do I leave The window blinds open or closed

Is it worth putting a couple of thos dehumidifier things in the van ?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks !!!

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Definitely recommend dehumidifies, we use Poundland.

Make sure that you remove any food and set a couple of mouse traps, just in case

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

dave met

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2014
cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I take mine for a spin every 4-6 weeks for about 20 mins,and I mark the bottom of the tyres before I set off and make sure the area marked is in a different position when I return. And a good idea to remove food,but I don't set mouse traps as you are just leaving food on them to invite them in

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This may be useful

Winterising Your Motorhome 2014-10-24
A simple checklist to follow when laying your motorhome up for the winter

download here
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/winterising-your-motorhome.86/

Thanks Jim.. The section that covers inline water filters is one area I would have missed ! I will attend to that !
The biscuit test is also good but I will be putting a couple of traps in the van and putting them on a piece of card as traps can spread mouse blood a good distance !

Thanks again !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Definitely recommend dehumidifies, we use Poundland.

We used to have a static caravan and it was closed November to March each year. We (and everyone else on the site) used to put about 4 big dishes of salt around the vans to absorb any damp. We owned the van for about 6 years and never had any damp or mildew when we went back to open up.....and the salt was rock hard so it must've absorbed moisture!

We also used to stand all the cushions up on end, away from the walls.

Also, in the motorhome, I'd leave the toilet cassette out with the lid off to let it dry out..... Not sure what would grow in there if left in situ? And, leave the fridge and freezer doors wedged open to avoid them getting mildewy and smelly.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Do I leave The window blinds open or closed
Depends on the type of blind, if they are sprung loaded, no. If not, then entirely up to you.

If you have a separate toilet flush tank, you'll need to empty that, but I would guess you don't have one. Final small but important point. Don't leave the handbrake on, if it seizes up in the on position, that is a big job. Easy to repair if the handbrake is not applied.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
MOUSE TRAPS...............STICKY ONES IF YOU MUST BUT........... MOUSE TRAPS
Am I shouting ...........YES
Had loads of damage last winter, they ate all the waste pipes then made a nest in the void under the shower

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Depends on the type of blind, if they are sprung loaded, no. If not, then entirely up to you.

If you have a separate toilet flush tank, you'll need to empty that, but I would guess you don't have one. Final small but important point. Don't leave the handbrake on, if it seizes up in the on position, that is a big job. Easy to repair if the handbrake is not applied.

Toilet does have a separate flush tank and that has been emptied including the siphon/filling spout at the top.

Believe it or not I never leave the handbrake on . I always park it in reverse gear with a chunk of railway sleeper chocking the rear wheels..

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We used to have a static caravan and it was closed November to March each year. We (and everyone else on the site) used to put about 4 big dishes of salt around the vans to absorb any damp. We owned the van for about 6 years and never had any damp or mildew when we went back to open up.....and the salt was rock hard so it must've absorbed moisture!

We also used to stand all the cushions up on end, away from the walls.

Also, in the motorhome, I'd leave the toilet cassette out with the lid off to let it dry out..... Not sure what would grow in there if left in situ? And, leave the fridge and freezer doors wedged open to avoid them getting mildewy and smelly.

Good idea on leaving the toilet cassette out.. I've cleaned it really well inside and out but if it's not in the van it can't smell... I will put it in the back workshop out of the way...

Have the fridge/freezer door open and one of those fridge fresheners inside..

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Good idea on leaving the toilet cassette out.. I've cleaned it really well inside and out but if it's not in the van it can't smell... I will put it in the back workshop out of the way...

Just thinking what your first thread about Spain might be.......'Guess who forgot to put the cassette back in?'

I'd stick a post-it note on the loo lid if I were you......

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I use a compressed air line to blow out any water still in tap fittings after having ice force a tap apart.
I Do this by taking the shower head off but make sure the taps are open or u may cause the non return valve to jam. No need to ask how I know this.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Nothing needs doing if you keep indoors in a heated, solar powered garage, then it's always ready to go, just supply an alternative food source for mice and they won't come near it, I use 2000 tonnes of wheat

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Nothing needs doing if you keep indoors in a heated, solar powered garage, then it's always ready to go, just supply an alternative food source for mice and they won't come near it, I use 2000 tonnes of wheat
bit over the top with the wheat mate, but still if it works for you

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
Even having drained the system down, a pool of water will probably remain in the basin or shower U bends/traps which can freeze and then crack the plastic. I pour a bit of antifreeze in after draining down.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I make sure the engine is off and close the door...

Having had an attack of diesel bug on the boat I would make sure the fuel tank is full nowadays, but I think the best advice as @dave met says is to try and use it!

Oh, also to leave the handbrake off, and the guy who fitted my clutch told me to try and wedge the clutch down with a stick.

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
Leave hand brake off. Do not leave in gear if you have a DM Flywheel.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I make sure the engine is off and close the door...

Having had an attack of diesel bug on the boat I would make sure the fuel tank is full nowadays, but I think the best advice as @dave met says is to try and use it!

Oh, also to leave the handbrake off, and the guy who fitted my clutch told me to try and wedge the clutch down with a stick.
Assuming the advice on the clutch was to prevent the plate sticking to the flywheel raises the question of continuous loading of the clutch springs ?
Its not hard to get a plate unstuck IF it sticks. Use will then clean it up. Bugger the springs and its gearbox out time..

Least that's the way I see it .

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Open locker doors and cupbard and loo door and leave the bench seat cushions so that air can get into the underbed lockers. Ventilation is very important.

Were lucky in that our van is not left absolutely flat so rain water does not sit on the roof. I have heard it suggested that the van is driven with front or back wheels onto a flat thin plank, just to give enough slope for water to run off.

We leave pretty well everything inside but food is all in plastic boxes.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Assuming the advice on the clutch was to prevent the plate sticking to the flywheel raises the question of continuous loading of the clutch springs

My immediate reation was elsstic memory in the springs, but I was assured that this isn't a problem, and they were a very professional trucking place.

I am more likely to follow the "use it periodically" line of reason, but was just passing on what I was told.

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
Please explain why ?

Thanks.
Leave hand brake off to stop it seizing on.
DMF have torsion springs and if the fly wheel is torqued up ie leaving van in gear and holding on engine compression the springs will weaken and cause clutch judder.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I don't leave the bog cassette 'flush' lever fully shut as it compresses the rubber seal for ages when it doesn't need to.

I leave the handbrake off to reduce permanent strain on the cable, and I leave the MH parked in neutral with a couple of chocks under the front wheels. They're sitting in ruts on the storage site anyway.

I've made a temporary split relay circuit that sends surplus charge from the (solar powered) leisure battery to the cab battery.

I always run a dehumidifier for a few days inside the habitation area before taking it to storage. That way if I visit the MH in storage and find a musty smell I know something may be wrong. If you use those moisture collectors with white powder in over winter they can overflow, as moist air will come into your van through the cab vents. Best to stand them on the draining board just in case.

The double bed mattresses in the luton are lifted up and stacked so there's plenty of airspace underneath.

I don't leave any potential mouse food or nesting material (ie tea towels) within easy reach of the floor or cupboard bottoms, and I leave bait blocks inside the MH and under the front wheel. They made it onto the dashboard last year so that's kept clear too.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
By storage I understand you are going to store it for some time - winter!

Why put it in storage, there loads of places you can use your van in the winter in the UK

colyboy

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Cover your water pump and hot water boiler with something, I use pieces of an old Duvet

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Cover your water pump and hot water boiler with something, I use pieces of an old Duvet

er yeh........ its called anti freeze coolant :cool: , for the engine and drain the domestic water!!:)

check your antifreeze for specific gravity, you can get a 'thing' to do this

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back