Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
I have been loking at security for my motorhome and have the alarm/immob and keep the driveway gates padlocked I was thinking about a wheellock or secure gate posts.

then saw this home cctv video clip of how quick some one had their caravan stolen by a couple Itinerants who sawed off a wheelclamp, hitchlock and gate post and alarm within 10 mins.

any other options other than tracker to secure angainst power tool armed thieves.Link Removed

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Put it up on axle stands.
Remove wheels.

You'll prevent your tyres getting flat spots into the bargain.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Stealing a Motorhome with an immobiliser should be harder than stealing a caravan anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One of the most awkward to remove without the key is a DiskLock
there are cheap ones on fle-bay at about £13-£17 But im refering to the original that goes by that name @ Hallfrauds etc about £45-£60
Full steel cover of the steering wheel im sure you have seen them
Road wheel clamps as used by London traffic control £80 to £120 on fle-bay you wont get those off in 5 mins I have 3 that we use on the forcourt,never lost one in 15 years :thumb:
Geo

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Road wheel clamps as used by London traffic control £80 to £120 on fle-bay you wont get those off in 5 mins I have 3 that we use on the forcourt,never lost one in 15 years :thumb:
Geo

Any chance of a name or a link please Geo?
I've just had a look at Fleabay and there's dozens of different ones but they all look like the one that didn't save my Dads twin axle from the Itinerants!:Angry:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yes we would be interested also or if possibly some info of what they look like
thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Any chance of a name or a link please Geo?
I've just had a look at Fleabay and there's dozens of different ones but they all look like the one that didn't save my Dads twin axle from the Itinerants!:Angry:
Hi Paul
Pictures No 5--13--15 are the ones I have, there seems to be a price link also (Round disc over wheel) no makers name on mine now, I googled London wheel clamps as that was what they used at the time I bought mine, they seem to be using a pi55 poor triangle one now:Doh:
Geo
Pics here sorry link is for price of the pics

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Thatcham describe their cat 3 security devices as

RISK MANAGEMENT ADVICE – VEHICLE RISK
High Risk - Cat 1
Medium Risk - Cat 2
Lower Risk - Cat 3
High and medium risk vehicles may have Cat1/Cat2 systems supplemented by Cat3 to further increase protection.
[Diesel vehicles Cat L1, L2, L3]

I'd say the guys in the vid were ams.
A decent winch will drag almost any motor with wheel locks and a steering wheel lock onto a recovery truck that'll carry it's weight in a very short space of time.

2 grand'll buy a working recovery truck.
Paid for in the first job.

This one didn't reach it's price if you want a start-up.
Link Removed

moz-screenshot-3.jpg
moz-screenshot-4.jpg

OP
OP
duetto owner

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
GEO

Our local Halfords has poor stock of everything bar cycles, do you have any links for disk locks as not too sure what they are.

OP
OP
duetto owner

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
The clip I posted has put me off wheelclamps, years ago had a bulldog one but if you hit the side with a hammer the lock poped open. but those power tools cut through them like butter.

disklok looking a possible runner.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
The clip I posted has put me off wheelclamps, years ago had a bulldog one but if you hit the side with a hammer the lock poped open. but those power tools cut through them like butter.

disklok looking a possible runner.

We l had a english van l had a removable steering wheel which was good as it also let you turn the seat a little more, now with my yank l have fitted deadlocks to the doors and it as a alarm, a good tip which costs nothing is take a bit out the engine or disconnect a lead when you park up in a dodgy place Paul:thumb:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Always helpful TV showed how to cut a segment out the disk and steering wheel.
Then turn the disk so that a bit of steering wheel sticks out.
Flex the steering wheel below or above the disk.
Then turn the disk off the steering wheel I'm afraid Duetto Owner.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Always helpful TV showed how to cut a segment out the disk and steering wheel.
Then turn the disk so that a bit of steering wheel sticks out.
Flex the steering wheel below or above the disk.
Then turn the disk off the steering wheel I'm afraid Duetto Owner.
And in the follow up program they showed Virgil, or was it tracy come along with Thunder Bird 2 and lift the otherwise totaly secure Motorhome away all in less than 3 mins,
No one heard the retros from the rockets either:Doh:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
They dun it with a recovery rocketship Geo.

The neighbours thought it was a Kosha recovery.

OP
OP
duetto owner

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
I have just spoke with disklok and the cutting a segment on a transit steering will will make it difficult to slide it round and off.

will decide next week after a few days pondering. unless some other option comes up.

i remember years ago there was a yellow thing that locked onto tyre valves and if the vehicle went over 10mph the tyres deflated but not seen any of these around and no one seems to have heard of them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Link Removed

is this the disk lock mentioned?

thats the one....:thumb:

took us 45mins workshop time to cut one of those buggers off with an angle grinder.......without damaging the customers car ofcourse:Doh:

but if we'de known about the biro top trick back then it would have been a doddle.
probably changed the lock design by now though.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
I heard those deflators went out of business Duetto.
People forgot to cancel them before they drove off.

If you want something to stop them driving off after they've broken in, put a tap in the fuel line before the lift pump.
An electric tap, normally closed will do the business.

If you wire it through a hold itself on relay, you only need to touch a bell-push just after you switch on.
That way, the relay holds on while the ignition is on, and switches off automatically when you switch off.

Your engine will fire when the starter motor turns it, but it won't carry on running when the starter disengages.
You'll need to check your particular engine won't mind being "started" with the fuel cut off though.

flyingdoc

Free Member
May 23, 2009
essex centre of universe
Funster No
MH
DUETTO HI TOP
Exp
20 YEARS
motorhome security solution

I have been loking at security for my motorhome and have the alarm/immob and keep the driveway gates padlocked I was thinking about a wheellock or secure gate posts.

then saw this home cctv video clip of how quick some one had their caravan stolen by a couple Itinerants who sawed off a wheelclamp, hitchlock and gate post and alarm within 10 mins.

any other options other than tracker to secure angainst power tool armed thieves.Link Removed
put a heavyduty switch on battery line in unobvious place:Cool:

OP
OP
duetto owner

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
I got a disklok in the end from argos.

note if you get one of these do not use the "enter vehicle details" for right size on the disklok web its wrong, also the chart on the rear of the package is wrong too.

the disklok web showed a transit as needing large, the package shows pre 2003 transits large post 2003 transits medium.

having measured my ford streering wheel on my duetto it needed the small, had i ordered from disklok direct i would have ended up having to send it back.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Warning

Warning

Some vehicles don't like having their ignition circuits disconnected.

If you decide to follow Flying Docs advice,
but want to fit a battery isolating switch in the starter circuit to get over that problem,
make sure you fit one that will carry carry a very big current.

Many so called battery isolating switches are only suitable for isolating ignition/lighting circuits.

You may need to cover the cold cranking ampperage (CCA) of your battery to be 100%.

OP
OP
duetto owner

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
thats right i'm not touching those its a new van do not want to invalidate the warranty.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Have you met these before?

Link Removed

They go over the front door lock and handle to stop thieves breaking in that way.
If tea leaves break in through your front door, they can make a real mess round the handle.
Could mean a new door.

Don't get muddled with a cheaper one with a similar name.
From the add, you just loosen the handle and slip it in; then tighten the handle.
What you can slip in, tea leaves can slip out.
Once they've slipped 'em out, the handle will be lose, and it will be easy peasy for the tea leaf to get his screwdriver in.

Not cheap though.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Mine has a clifford cat1 alarm and imobiliser..................however, the 1st job I did on the van was to cut the neg wire to the fuel pump and put a switch in a secret location........and then had a clamp fabricated that clamps onto the steering arm, thus locking the steering but invisible........can't go anywhere without fuel or steering.

If in the event they manage to nick her.................they would have deseved her if they get past all that :thumb:

I did think about fitting gas flame throwers under the step but I have my mail delivered and didn't want to crisp the postman when I was out. :winky:

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another good idea ?

Paint your post code on the roof in huge letters..

Don't know if it's a deterrent but makes it real easy to spot from the air.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back