How to get a good deal at Lincolnshire show (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Morning all, here again for more advice please.
We are going to the Linconshire show on Sunday and although we don't think we quite have enough money saved for what we want ,we though it would be a good excercise to make a few offers and see what the dealers will do. Trouble is we are both not good a bartering and get embarrassed ! So wondered if anyone could advice how to go about it, what is a reasonable amount to go below asking price ?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

Can't say I am any sort of expert when it comes to buying vans but I know there is certainly no need for any embarrassment when it comes to bartering.

You would have to be careful not to be rash and buy a van on the spur of the moment, make sure its got everything you want, right layout, good condition etc.

If you do find such a van then the fun begins! The dealer obviously has to make a profit otherwise he would go broke and that would not be in anyone's interest. Depends on how much the ticket price of the van is, if it was, say, £30k I would offer about £26k and see what reaction you get.

I would imagine it would take a brave dealer to turn away a customer offering their debit card and a deposit on the spot.

Good luck and have fun.

Paul

Upvote 0

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Set your budget 'break-point' and stick to it, regardless of new smells, smiles and the excitement.

I suggest that you state that it all comes down to the numbers and make your initial offer slightly under your 'break-point' to give you wiggle-room.

Typically if you wiggle (a little), they may / should wiggle back (again a little) and you may find common ground.

If you wiggle a lot, they may still only wiggle a little - so small increments when bartering.

However, there is a market value and it helps if your 'break-point' is near - although I am sure many will recall huge discounts.

I hope this helps a little.

BTW: we bought our MH (new-to-us) at Peterborough this year and managed 13% off the asking price, with a few extras thrown in - but it will always depend on what you are buying and the mark-up the dealer has on that particular unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Please don't go to the show with the aim of leaving with a Motorhome . Shows are best used for research. You should only buy at a show if you already know precisley what you want. There is no formula, offering 15 or 20 % below the asking price for example, they may already be inflated by more than that! What is key, is knowing exactly what it is worth before you offer anything.

Negotiating for a Motorhome is not difficult, but a lot needs to be in place first and there are a number of strategies you can use. I've written extensively about this. Take a look at the buyers guide in my signature below. Best of luck (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Set your budget 'break-point' and stick to it, regardless of new smells, smiles and the excitement.

I suggest that you state that it all comes down to the numbers and make your initial offer slightly under your 'break-point' to give you wiggle-room.

Typically if you wiggle (a little), they may / should wiggle back (again a little) and you may find common ground.

If you wiggle a lot, they may still only wiggle a little - so small increments when bartering.

However, there is a market value and it helps if your 'break-point' is near - although I am sure many will recall huge discounts.

I hope this helps a little.

BTW: we bought our MH (new-to-us) at Peterborough this year and managed 13% off the asking price, with a few extras thrown in - but it will always depend on what you are buying and the mark-up the dealer has on that particular unit.
Hi, thanks for that, would you mind telling me what age year the van was please

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back