Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,
Way back, in the depths of winter, I booked a one way on the Chunnel.
It cost less than £80 and we paid for it with Tesco vouchers.

I've just checked and, at the time of our trip next week, the price has ballooned up to near £250.
We are travelling up the day before with thoughts of staying at Canterbury P&R but it occurred to me that we might travel under La Manche that day rather than hanging about.

The price for the day before is less than £120 but here's the rub.
According to Eurotunnels T&C's. It isn't the price of the ticket you are swopping from that they take into account ie £250+ to £120-, it's the price of the ticket YOU PAID.???
In other words, despite there being demand for our time of travel, they want me to stump up over £40 for the 'priviledge'??? of travelling at a time which would do them a favour.
I don't think so.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
So, to change your mind, you are being asked to pay £40 on top of the £80 for a £250 ticket? Or am I reading it wrongly?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So, to change your mind, you are being asked to pay £40 on top of the £80 for a £250 ticket? Or am I reading it wrongly?

No John,
"our" ticket, is valued at £250. To swap to a time 24 hrs earlier which is valued at £120 will cost us £40. I don't see the logic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I think I've got this:

You paid £80 , Price now is £250.
So, your ticket is 'worth' £170 more than you paid for it.

You want to exchange your £250 ticket for one costing £120 and would like the difference refunded, so they owe you £130?

Is that right?

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
No John,
"our" ticket, is valued at £250. To swap to a time 24 hrs earlier which is valued at £120 will cost us £40. I don't see the logic.

I don't suppose it really matters whether you see the logic or not.

If you want to change, pay the admin fee, otherwise pat yourselves on the back for the great value that you have got, especially as you paid with Tesco vouchers?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think I've got this:

You paid £80 , Price now is £250.
So, your ticket is 'worth' £170 more than you paid for it.

You want to exchange your £250 ticket for one costing £120 and would like the difference refunded, so they owe you £130?

Is that right?

Don't want anything for my expensive ticket but don't expect to pay a premium for a cheaper ticket.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And Bacchus. Shame on you. Your version of economics is what got this great country of ours in money trouble in the first place.

You should do penance in the land to the north where people have been genetically modified to not be able to reach the bottom of their pockets:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry, you got a cracking deal on the ticket you have, cant say I blame them for trying it on

If it were a hotel you would lose the night you had booked and would be looking at best price you could get to pay again

Just enjoy it when you get there, go on the date you booked way back when :)(y)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There's a very good reason why God's own County finishes just south of Sheffield and David, you've just showed everyone why.(y)(y)(y)

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
And Bacchus. Shame on you. Your version of economics is what got this great country of ours in money trouble in the first place.

Really?

Making a deal then expecting to break it penalty free or because something better comes along sounds worse to me...

The financial cliff on who's edge we still teeter comes from spending money that we don't have, not straightforward financial transactions.

You should do penance in the land to the north where people have been genetically modified to not be able to reach the bottom of their pockets:LOL::LOL::LOL:

"Genetically" Northern me. Hear all, see all, say nowt; eat all drink all pay nowt; if tha' ever does owt for nowt, do it for thissen!

(unfortunately I have never been able to obey one bit of this creed...)

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
There's a very good reason why God's own County finishes just south of Sheffield and David, you've just showed everyone why.(y)(y)(y)

Because South of Sheffield they run out of Satanic Mills and can afford cement?

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I don't think that logic only works the way you would like it to! You secured a good deal but its not transferrable ... £40 to change, get an extra night away, not hang about and travel when you want to ... ??

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I have not used Tesco vouchers for some time, but I thought you could only use the vouchers if you booked a return. Why don't you join ET Frequent Traveller scheme it works out at £108 return anytime of the year.

ETFT you must buy a minimum of 10 single crossings (5 returns) but you can share these with one other named person. you can alter the dates and times at 24 hours notice WITHOUT surcharges.

colyboy

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think what the OP is saying is irrespective of the cost they paid by swapping time of travel to the advantage of the travel company should cost the same not more. After all it's the travel company who gains on the day .. I can see that..

Quite why others have to argue irrelevant points I don't know....

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think what the OP is saying is irrespective of the cost they paid by swapping time of travel to the advantage of the travel company should cost the same not more. After all it's the travel company who gains on the day .. I can see that..

Quite why others have to argue irrelevant points I don't know....

I just rang Eurotunnel (just to make sure I hadn't got the wrong end of the stick.)
Yes, they want £39 off me to change a ticket currently on sale for £247 to one which costs £117.
How anyone can agree that that is acceptable is beyond me.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
[QUOTE="emmitdb,it isn't the price of the ticket you are swopping from that they take into account ie £250+ to £120-, it's the price of the ticket YOU PAID.???[/QUOTE]

FWIW I think the key point is the price you paid, not what it costs paying full price.

So how much of the £250.00 did you pay.

Sorry if I have "got hold of the wrong end of the stick":D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My thoughts are it's completely irrelevant when the ticket/product was purchased and for how much.

If I were to purchase say a CD player off Amazon on a flash sale for £30 and it developed a fault I would expect a replacement of the same with no further cost.

The travel company sold the product in the dead of winter at the price they were happy with. It's a tactic to manage cash flow. They need cash flow so sell off cheaply to generate cash.

Changing the times to the benefit of said travel company should benefit them so why charge extra ?

They sold the ticket cheaply to generate cash so they should be chuffed to bits to be able to claw some money back.

It's a little like taking back 20 quid T shirt and swapping it for a 10 quid one... Who wins.

The fact an extra day on the holiday is gained is completely and totally irrelevant. We are talking about a travel slot not the provision of extra accommodation or supply of goods.

Does my reply mean Gods own country now extends to just below Evesham ?? :D

I am interested to hear more about this frequent traveller scheme ?? Or any other way of saving on crossings .. Perhaps I will start a thread(y)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

I find that pretty insulting.

If the T&C's say there is a £40 surcharge then either pay it or don't change, your crossing date.
Don't start moaning just because their rules don't suit you.
Just because the ticket price is higher on the day, that does not mean that they sell any at that price.
The company is not a charity it's there to make money, so if someone books at the last minute they have to pay a non discounted fare, or not travel.

You got the discounts for early booking, but now you want to change your crossing a the last minute and still expect to get the early booking discount.

:cooler:

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
At the time of booking the OP was happy with the date they had chosen and the price they (/Tesco) had paid I assume? Therefore, if they now want to change ( again their CHOICE) then there is an admin fee to do this irrespective of any ticket prices.

Eurotunnel is not forcing the OP to travel a day early. No different from changing any travel ticket be it flights, ferries, trains or coaches. Cake and eat it springs to mind

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just share frequent traveller scheme with someone... £108 return year round. Change crossing as many times as you want subject to availability.

Have run threads on it before, a good few ended up sharing with other members. I have shared for years with different peeps:)

Deleted User
Lucky that they didn't charge an admin fee on top of the price differential, LD lines would have done.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I can't work out what the problem is. You paid £80 (actually a lot less if you used Tesco vouchers)for your ticket
You want to swap it for a ticket that today costs £120. So they want you to pay the difference, which is £40?
Sounds logical to me

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
My thoughts are it's completely irrelevant when the ticket/product was purchased and for how much.

If I were to purchase say a CD player off Amazon on a flash sale for £30 and it developed a fault I would expect a replacement of the same with no further cost.

The travel company sold the product in the dead of winter at the price they were happy with. It's a tactic to manage cash flow. They need cash flow so sell off cheaply to generate cash.

Changing the times to the benefit of said travel company should benefit them so why charge extra ?

They sold the ticket cheaply to generate cash so they should be chuffed to bits to be able to claw some money back.

It's a little like taking back 20 quid T shirt and swapping it for a 10 quid one... Who wins.

The fact an extra day on the holiday is gained is completely and totally irrelevant. We are talking about a travel slot not the provision of extra accommodation or supply of goods.

Does my reply mean Gods own country now extends to just below Evesham ?? :D

I am interested to hear more about this frequent traveller scheme ?? Or any other way of saving on crossings .. Perhaps I will start a thread(y)
I'm lost now...................so,I read it again to make sure I hadn't missed something.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I think its a case of their way or the seaway (y);)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Why is it that everyone here is completely missing the point?

The point is that if he gives up his ticket currently valued at £250, Eurotunnel will sell it immediately making an additional £170 for nothing (he paid £80 for it). By charging him £40 to change they are probably going to make him keep his £80 ticket and they then don't make anything out of the transaction.

So, If they had allowed him to transfer free they would make £170 but by asking him to pay £40 extra, they make zilch.

Simples :)

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I don't think people are missing the point.

He effectively bought a ticket on sale (the tesco vouchers are irrelevent) and thinks the supplier should give him more value for it.

So.... I by an item - lets say a TV when it is on sale for £80 but the correct retail cost is £250. Bargain I think! Then a little later I see a different TV which I like better but that one is £120. I return the one I bought for £80 - do they refund me £250? or even let me exchange for the the £120 one at no extra cost? No, of course they dont. They give me back my £80 and I can pay the £40 extra for the other one if I want to.

Any item is only "worth" what you paid for it. You only paid £80 and can't expect a higher redemption than you paid.

Jen

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Not missing the point at all. It was an early booking discount. His ticket didn't go up in value, the crossing now would cost you £250, similarly, the alternative crossing now costs almost £120.
I could understand if he bought the old ticket for £250 and was asked to pay another £40 for a new ticket, costing £120.
But he didn't. He paid £80 and now wants to change the crossing to one that costs £120, so Eurotunnel are asking for the difference. £40. Simples....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back