Refilling gas (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We are abroad using our Gasit system for the first time. After reading several threads on here about garages refusing to fill with LPG if the connector is in a locker, I was a bit nervous about asking an attendant here in Italy to fill me up. So we travelled around (had only used one bottle and have 2) looking for a self service station. None to be found I pulled into a service station, opened my locker, asked the attendant which connector to use, he fitted it and filled my bottles with no questions asked.
Don't know what all the fuss was about.
Has anybody actually been refused gas with an in locker filler?

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
i was refused gas fill at garda this year. atendent insisting it was not possible. and my filler is on outside of van.
but this is only time in 5 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spain is the worse place they seem to have changed the rules last year. mind it was difficult several years ago as the garages pulled the pumps . as its coming back some of the newer staions dont like filling bottles .
italy was always easy . even way back in the 70,s . they would fill anything . after all money is money.
uk bottles used to be filled every where in italy turkey greece . spain was ok in a few places in the 70,s . but really only taxis used the gas so you had to knowe where they filled up. about 2004-5 spain started to get more gpl stations .
last year i watch a refusal near castello de plana . and another in sagunt. the garage told them no bottles at all to be filled . they had gaslow . they wanted to see tanks underneath .

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Sorry, never seen or had a problem in Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, they are self service and the staff don't care, just fit your adaptor and fill, don't know about France as I don't like it, I don't think there are many or any folk that have been refused other than those who ask attendants who are too busy or don't understand enough English to care so turn people away

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have an under-slung 85litre tank with filler in the skirt (Not a bottle in a locker) and was refused in Italy. Reason given was the gas was not for domestic use.

I have also had an GPL pump switched off by the kiosk attendant as I went to connect pipe to the van. No reason given just a NO.

Never had a problem in Spain.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Reason given was the gas was not for domestic use.

same reason given to me in France.. RV, bulk tank.. when I opened the locker to fill the attendant came out and asked if it was for cooking.. I should have said no, but was honest and said yes.. sorry, she said it is not for domestic use.. can't sell it to you..

next LPG station I went to I was prepared.. but was never asked again..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
spain is the worse place they seem to have changed the rules last year. mind it was difficult several years ago as the garages pulled the pumps . as its coming back some of the newer staions dont like filling bottles .
italy was always easy . even way back in the 70,s . they would fill anything . after all money is money.
uk bottles used to be filled every where in italy turkey greece . spain was ok in a few places in the 70,s . but really only taxis used the gas so you had to knowe where they filled up. about 2004-5 spain started to get more gpl stations .
last year i watch a refusal near castello de plana . and another in sagunt. the garage told them no bottles at all to be filled . they had gaslow . they wanted to see tanks underneath .

That is not good! As in Spain LPG stations few and far between:(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry, never seen or had a problem in Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, they are self service and the staff don't care, just fit your adaptor and fill, don't know about France as I don't like it, I don't think there are many or any folk that have been refused other than those who ask attendants who are too busy or don't understand enough English to care so turn people away

I have never had a problem but there are more incidences of people being refused so it appears to be a worrying trend

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
image.jpg
Not been stopped in 4 years and always open the gas locker to refill,refilled my recently fitted Alugas bottle here in France and opted to fit the in locker fill point so locker open to fill.

Last edited:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Never been refused and have found several stations where they keep a range of adaptors to borrow just in case the customer did not have the right one.

The Tinca's

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
In Spain today filled both bottles no problem. In fact I had an issue in getting the pump to work, attendent came out reset the pump. My locker was open as the filling point is inside. No problem. Again have not been challenged anywhere in Europe

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
At a repsol garage earlier this year in Spain couldn't connect hose to infill, attendant came out and did it for me no problem and that was with the gas locker door open. another one not had a problem

Deleted User
My first year with the refillable tank, only 1 issue really, we were asked for a "certificate" at (I think) Intermarche.

We assumed they meant the euro standard certificate so offered them that. As soon as they saw a bit of paper they turned on the pump (never read the cert)

We've filled up 4 times so far with no other issues

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I have never had a problem but there are more incidences of people being refused so it appears to be a worrying trend

Half a dozen people on here doesn't made it a trend, don't worry it'll be fine

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I have an under-slung tank and have only filled up 8 times in two years. I've used 5 different places in the UK, one twice, and two in France. Never had a problem. Nice to know the correct answer to the domestic gas question when abroad, but if they can read english the label by the filler say "Domestic gas refill point" :rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I believe in Italy it's a legal thing they are not allowed to fill hab tanks at garages, thankfully only Some complie.

Our filler is external first garage we tried in Italy last week refused next one was fine.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have been considering Refillable Gas Bottles or tank.

Will follow this thread with interest.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Eh, don't think so.By experience and checking the mylpg.eu website just in case,they are few and far between.

Don't forget Spain is a big place with a small population, so the garages are further apart, from where I stay it's a 20 mile dive to fill my lpg tank, so not so different

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Forum rule number one gas

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just had our first experience of being refused gas in France, or anywhere for that matter. A little back water Esso garage in Central France and the couple running it could not be persuaded to let us fill up, we have an external fill point too.

The very next town had a Super U selling GPL and we had no problem at all.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What would be needed is a sticker saying AUTOGAS that would satisfy most of the garages not selling domestic gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back