Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
We have just returned from our spring break to France & Spain in our Compass Drifter 410 returning our normal MPG of 25.3 in March to 27.5 coming back in May. Over possibly 15/20 trips to Spain, in the same motorhome, the vehicle has returned very similar MPG.
When these figures are quoted, during conversations with others, they are aghast at such a low MPG performance and often 35/38MPG for a similar weight of vehicle are bragged about. ( I will ignore those that quote 40/45MPG). It must be said we keep to about lorry speed of 90KMH and watch our acceleration.The total milage for the vehicle is only 31K and has recently been checked by Peugeot and given a clean bill of health.
Reading the MMM from time to time its noticed that figures as low as 21/22 MPG are quoted when they carry out tests on new vehicles, that would appear to be the other extreme.
The point is, are we being kidded by those that do not keep accurate records on their MPG. How often do we hear that on a full tank they went from X to Y which gave a figure of so and so.
I will be writing shortly on our trip given channel crossings, roads used, aires stopped at, fuel pick ups and prices and Pyrenness tunnels for those new to travelling to France and Spain.
Regards Ron W.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Ron,

id ignore those who claim 35/38mpg as well.:RollEyes:

maybe their speedo's are in KPH and they havent realised.:Doh:

i reckon your reading is about right.....we get 25/26mpg towing the car and 26/27mpg solo with our 2.8ltr kontiki.

the last trip to lochness (with the toad) returned 25mpg overall. motorway and A/B roads.:thumb:

i work mine out at each fuel stop using a calculator and again overall at the return home.

from a previous post by me......

955 miles = 176ltr diesel = approx 25mpg.....and towing the toad as well.
not bad for 4.75t in scotlands hills.:thumb:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We to have returned between 26 to 27 mpg part towing a toad, over 25000 miles. No longer moniter the consumption on a regular basis.

Nomadic

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You're figures look pretty similar to mine Ron (2.8ltr Fiat based Hymer).

I managed to get it up to about 30 mpg coming back from Spain earlier this year by keeping the speed to about 55 mph. In a rush, cruising at 65+ mph the mpg drops to about 21 - 23. I have noticed that the mpg reduces dramatically as the speed increases from about 55 to 60 mph.

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
These figures are taken from a trip to France last year in a 2007 Autoquest 140 with a 2.2L 100 engine. The MPG is taken from the trip computer.
399mls 62L 33mpg average speed 38mph
306mls 50L 30mpg average speed 26mph
378mls 60L 32mpg average speed 35mph
I know the average speeds may seem a bit low but this takes into account traffic conditions. I have had an indicated 35mpg between fill ups as I usually reset the trip counter between fill ups.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
These figures are taken from a trip to France last year in a 2007 Autoquest 140 with a 2.2L 100 engine. The MPG is taken from the trip computer.
399mls 62L 33mpg average speed 38mph
306mls 50L 30mpg average speed 26mph
378mls 60L 32mpg average speed 35mph
I know the average speeds may seem a bit low but this takes into account traffic conditions. I have had an indicated 35mpg between fill ups as I usually reset the trip counter between fill ups.

over that combined distance (1083mls) and combined fuel (172ltr) it averages at 28.3mpg so not as good as it first looks.:Sad:
pretty avarage really.:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
weight is the biggest thing to influence fuel consumption.

the people quoting 40mpg prolly had the empty base vehicle,

i drove my iveco 35-10 about for a few months before my slot at the body builders came up, and averaged about 32mpg,
now i'm lucky to get 22mpg, BUT, when i got 32mpg the van weighed a ton and a half and was kinda aerodynamic,

Now it tips the scales at 4.3 tons (have uprated the chassis by a ton, so it's a 4.5 tonner now) and has the aerodynamics of a wardrobe trailing a parachute... luton sticking over the cab to catch the wind, body that sticks out wider than the cab, sat dish on the roof and so on.

plus i've got an old technology mechanical injection diesel, needs more than 5 volts at the stop solenoid and it'll run till the fuel runs out (found that out when the alternator lead came off, wondered why the indicators were getting slower and slower, stopped for fuel, and all was dead, bump started it and drove to a wohnmobile stellplatz to fix... was in germany at the time and had come thru austria and was told to drive in the day with headlights on by the border guard at the swiss crossing)

it's deffo true about the speed and mpg figures, we stick to around 55 mph, she will do 90 if needed (found out on a german autobahn) but can watch the fuel needle drop then, good job i have twin fuel tanks, get about 300 miles from each tank if we do 55, do 60+ and we need to re-fuel at around 250 miles.

that's real mph figures from a sat nav, indicated 55 in my iveco is 50 real speed, no wonder the truckers were all overtaking us, so we do 60 indicated, and stick with them.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Fully loaded we get 28.75mpg (2.5td Transit Autosleeper).
I've just today fitted a roof box (hope it stays on!!), so will see how that effects things.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fully loaded we get 28.75mpg (2.5td Transit Autosleeper).
I've just today fitted a roof box (hope it stays on!!), so will see how that effects things.

bet you loose between 1 and 2 mpg depending on wind.:Sad:

even a bare roofrack on a car can make a difference.

Last edited:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
bet you loose between 1 and 2 mpg depending on wind.:Sad:

even a bare roofrack on a car can make a difference.

That's kinda what I'm expecting. I always take the roof bars off the car when not using them. The roof box makes a massive difference on the car, but then it is designed to be slightly more aerodynamic than a MH!!!!!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You're figures look pretty similar to mine Ron (2.8ltr Fiat based Hymer).

I managed to get it up to about 30 mpg coming back from Spain earlier this year by keeping the speed to about 55 mph. In a rush, cruising at 65+ mph the mpg drops to about 21 - 23. I have noticed that the mpg reduces dramatically as the speed increases from about 55 to 60 mph.

As the "aerodynamic" resistance builds up....:Sad:

Why do they still stick (mainly) to the traditional "brick" shape?

It certainly doesn't pay to be in a hurry.Is this why the government are looking on lowering the National speed limit?

I normally stick to around 60-65 mph.Seems to go reasonably well then but you still find people impatient to get by.She'll do a lot more comfortably but why hurry on "B" roads?There's always the next queue up ahead anyway.

I'd be delighted with 30 mpg.:thumb:

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Ronald, of all the factors influencing average fuel consumption the fisherman's tale effect is probably the most influential.

Anyway, have you checked you mileometre against motorway kilometer posts?

In my experience, either

• Kilometre posts aren't always accurate.
  • Vehicle mileometres aren't always accurate.
My money's on the latter.

The easiest and cheapest way to increase top speed, and reduce fuel consumption used to be to change speedo gearing.
Anyone know if it's as easy with modern motors?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have just returned from our spring break to France & Spain in our Compass Drifter 410 returning our normal MPG of 25.3 in March to 27.5 coming back in May.

Our 2l Burstner with a Luton manages 25.

I got it down to 20 once.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To be frank.. it's all a bit academic .. you bought it, if you can't afford to fill it up then sell it..

The only reason I know what I get is because I got tired of being asked how many gals to the mile mine guzzled .. :RollEyes: so I did a check over two tank loads ..
That's 143 gal or 650 lt. and it came out at 14. summit .. just over 2,050 mls.

On the bright side, the toad does better than +50 mpg :Cool::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To be frank.. it's all a bit academic .. you bought it, if you can't afford to fill it up then sell it..

The only reason I know what I get is because I got tired of being asked how many gals to the mile mine guzzled .. :RollEyes: so I did a check over two tank loads ..
That's 143 gal or 650 lt. and it came out at 14. summit .. just over 2,050 mls.

On the bright side, the toad does better than +50 mpg :Cool::thumb:

50+ mpg.......have you thought about towing the RV with the toad Jim. :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
weight is the biggest thing to influence fuel consumption.

Not really. An empty camper and a loaded one (European 3.500kg.) generally has about 500kg. difference. That won't make as much difference as cabover v. low pro at anything much over 40 mph. As for roof boxes,:drink::cry:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
We have just returned from our spring break to France & Spain in our Compass Drifter 410 returning our normal MPG of 25.3 in March to 27.5 coming back in May. Over possibly 15/20 trips to Spain, in the same motorhome, the vehicle has returned very similar MPG.
When these figures are quoted, during conversations with others, they are aghast at such a low MPG performance and often 35/38MPG for a similar weight of vehicle are bragged about. ( I will ignore those that quote 40/45MPG). It must be said we keep to about lorry speed of 90KMH and watch our acceleration.The total milage for the vehicle is only 31K and has recently been checked by Peugeot and given a clean bill of health.
Reading the MMM from time to time its noticed that figures as low as 21/22 MPG are quoted when they carry out tests on new vehicles, that would appear to be the other extreme.
The point is, are we being kidded by those that do not keep accurate records on their MPG. How often do we hear that on a full tank they went from X to Y which gave a figure of so and so.
I will be writing shortly on our trip given channel crossings, roads used, aires stopped at, fuel pick ups and prices and Pyrenness tunnels for those new to travelling to France and Spain.
Regards Ron W.
I have the same motorhome as you( drifter 410 2.5tdi cat)........I keep an accurate record of MPG bit sad I know as it makes no difference as I'm still going whatever the cost! However I get around 30MPG checked over over thousands of miles, but admit too a very light right foot in the campervan (unlike my driving style in the works van.) But I have discovered that speed is the major factor and cruise around 50/ 55. Off to france 12th june CAN'T WAIT!!!! towing my motorbike this time.

OP
OP
R

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron W. Fuel Consumption

Thanks a lot folks for all your interesting replies and it has saved the poor motorhomes neck. I think most would agree there is nothing more infuriating than being the owner of a unique in-efficient motorhome and being ragged about it by those not giving out an honest judgement on their vehicles performance.:moon:
It is not that I worry too much on how much fuel I use but I give consideration to the total performance of the van like a lot of people.

Ta ! for all your comments.:thumb: Cheers for now Ron W

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Early days

On the several trips I have taken so far the worst I have had is 27mpg and the best 30mpg. Speeds were 60-70 & 50-55 respectfully. I am happy with this given the weight of our van.

The beauty of a MH is not having to rush unless you have to. If I feel on certain roads I am being `pushed along', I have no problems pulling over and giving way so as not to upset those in a hurry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back