Health Warning! (1 Viewer)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Just got back from great couple of weeks in Cornwall.Came back with more than I went with!Foot and lower leg swelled up,became very itchy and went black/blue so went round Docs who said that I had picked up a very bad atheletes foot infection and put me on penicillin.Whilst the wife uses our on board facilities I always go down the shower block.At a couple there where signs saying no shoes etc in shower cubicles so I obeyed and went in with bare feet.I won't be doing that again!I'll be getting some flip flops or similar!can't believe how bad my leg and foot look! hoping another 24 hrs of penicillin might see some improvement!otherwise I have to go back to docs!!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I hope it gets better soon. (y)
We are currently in Italy and I have also picked up an infection.
Mine is from an insect bite which has now turned into cellulitis :Eeek:
Have now got antibiotics from local doc but have to rest it with no alcohol :crying:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have now got antibiotics from local doc but have to rest it with no alcohol :crying:

Just ignore that advice...Simples!:censored:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Cellulitis can be really really nasty - hope it was caught early on & isn't too painful for you(y)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Cellulitis can be really really nasty - hope it was caught early on & isn't too painful for you(y)
The pain is not too bad Debs. It's the rash and swelling that look awful. And it's constantly aching making walking difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just got back from great couple of weeks in Cornwall.Came back with more than I went with!Foot and lower leg swelled up,became very itchy and went black/blue so went round Docs who said that I had picked up a very bad atheletes foot infection and put me on penicillin.Whilst the wife uses our on board facilities I always go down the shower block.At a couple there where signs saying no shoes etc in shower cubicles so I obeyed and went in with bare feet.I won't be doing that again!I'll be getting some flip flops or similar!can't believe how bad my leg and foot look! hoping another 24 hrs of penicillin might see some improvement!otherwise I have to go back to docs!!

Ugh. Never heard of athletes foot going that bad--makes you wonder what was in the shower trays..... Have to say in the nearly 2 years of full timing, mostly on sites, I used showers daily and never had a problem. Be careful flip flops don't slip in the wet. You could always take either a spray bottle of diluted bleach or a spray bottle with hydrogene peroxide, vinegar and water (1:1:1) and spray the team before you use it.
Hope you feel better soon. Sounds very unpleasant.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
I always wear crocs to shower in no matter how nice the shower is when I use facilities
ive also had cellulitis from wasp stings
very unpleasant itchy and swollen soon cleared up with antibiotics take care .

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The no alcohol with penicillin based antibiotics rule is a hangover from their widespread use in treating verneral diseases. It was thought that sober behaviour would lessen the chance of the dose being passed on.:);) An urban myth!

Dick

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
The pain is not too bad Debs. It's the rash and swelling that look awful. And it's constantly aching making walking difficult.
When my Pa had it his leg looked like someone had poured boiling water over him:( take care.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
How can you be sure you caught the infection in the showers though? My wife had cellulitis after the Pickering motorhome show a few years back and it was very bad resulting in ten days in hospital on iv anti biotics. The hospital staff told us its usually caused by insect bites but try as they might no one could find puncture wound. You could just as easily got your infection walking across the site in flip flops. Showers by their very nature have lots of running water going down the drain which tends to wash any nasties away with it.

D.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
(Light goes on in brain)

That probably explains why a recent wasp sting resulted in leg swelling up and a really bad rash - the German doctor who looked at my leg and gave me a jab never really explained it. Still got a lump where the (now deceased) little sod stung me leg.

Get well soon - it is not nice at all

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Metronidazole(flagyl) is the one that reacts badly with alcohol, it has a similar effect to antabuse. Any others will be fine other than bowels being a bit loose.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I always wear crocs to shower in no matter how nice the shower is when I use facilities
ive also had cellulitis from wasp stings
very unpleasant itchy and swollen soon cleared up with antibiotics take care .
I don't think I'd be able to stay upright:confused: - I wear crocs at home and find them lethal when I've been cleaning the floors or if the patio is slightly wet....:eek::LOL:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I don't think I'd be able to stay upright:confused: - I wear crocs at home and find them lethal when I've been cleaning the floors or if the patio is slightly wet....:eek::LOL:
Time to replace them mate !
I am an avid croc wearer but find as soon as they start to wear they offer sod all grip on anything that is even vaguely slippery !

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I've been using a pair of these in the site showers for the last 8 years and am now only just on my second pair.
sc_071672_a.jpg

I walk to and from the shower in them too.
Most sites in Europe insist on you wearing some kind of footwear in the showers and quite rightly too.
You were unlucky to get such a reaction from Athletes Foot, but without proper footwear the chances of getting a Verruca are very high.

:cooler:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Time to replace them mate !
I am an avid croc wearer but find as soon as they start to wear they offer sod all grip on anything that is even vaguely slippery !
Aha:doh: explains alot, cheers :D

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ugh. Never heard of athletes foot going that bad--makes you wonder what was in the shower trays..... Have to say in the nearly 2 years of full timing, mostly on sites, I used showers daily and never had a problem. Be careful flip flops don't slip in the wet. You could always take either a spray bottle of diluted bleach or a spray bottle with hydrogene peroxide, vinegar and water (1:1:1) and spray the team before you use it.
Hope you feel better soon. Sounds very unpleasant.

Was that predictive texting gone wrong or were you referring to the wardens? :cautious:

OP
OP
robrace
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Yes!it looks as if what I have got is cellulitus possibly caused by picking up atheletes foot.Safest way of avoiding a similar problem would be to shower in the van but it is easier to go to the shower block whilst my wife uses the onboard facilities.Keeping my fingers crossed that another few days of penicillin will see some improvement!Like the look of the nikes!!May get a pair of them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back