Stick-On Wood Covering (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Due to a cock up on holiday, I had to rip off the covering behind the sink/cooker.

It's a very hard plastic sheet. Haven't a clue where to start looking :(

Any idea where I can get some more ?

See pic here ...
cooker.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that my friend is what used to be referred to as formica. it can be purchased all sorts of places but an exact match is unlikely

try a smaller converter like rainbow conversions for an offcut or maybe O'learys

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Formica. Was too obvious :whistle2:

I thought the builders had stuck some coating onto a wood panel :clap2:

Stupid boy ;)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
A bit inferior but you could try FABLON.

Or STICKY BACK PLASTIC as the used to say on Blue Peter (they may still do).

Dave

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I used to sell the stuff. Formica is a brand name for High Pressure Laminate, which is what that is - same stuff as used on kitchen worktops. The good news is, go to a proper laminate wholesaler and they should be able to match that no problem, it looks fairly generic to me. Bad news is you may well have to buy a 8' x 4' sheet.

Whereabouts are you? If you're heading South Coast way to go across the channel, then Stockmart Plastics in Portsmouth tend to keep offcuts. You might get lucky.

Laminate is not easy stuff to cut, if you're not a confident DIY'r then I'd get a fabricator to do it for you.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I used to sell the stuff. Formica is a brand name for High Pressure Laminate, which is what that is - same stuff as used on kitchen worktops. The good news is, go to a proper laminate wholesaler and they should be able to match that no problem, it looks fairly generic to me. Bad news is you may well have to buy a 8' x 4' sheet.

Whereabouts are you? If you're heading South Coast way to go across the channel, then Stockmart Plastics in Portsmouth tend to keep offcuts. You might get lucky.

Laminate is not easy stuff to cut, if you're not a confident DIY'r then I'd get a fabricator to do it for you.
In Thame near Oxford.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
OK. IDS in Swindon are a wholesaler and will be able to get you a sheet to DIY. If nothing else they'll have a huge selection of swatches for you to find a matching laminate to then give the code to a fabricator:-

http://www.idsurfaces.co.uk/

If you want to DIY then get all the old sheet off, and bond the new one in with contact adhesive. Be warned, laminate is brittle stuff, easy to break a sheet, and once stuck it won't come off without breaking it.

My knowledge of fabricators in that area is rather out of date. Oxford Laminates may be worth a call, they are primarily involved in worktops but may fabricate a panel for you, I'm pretty sure they do fabrication work.

http://www.oxfordlaminates.com/

A bit of a way out but I'm positive that Lamform would be able to make a panel for you. They do all kinds of small fabrication jobs. And the owners are lovely!

http://www.lamform.co.uk/

And finally, as mentioned above, Stockmart in Portsmouth. A funny little place but don't let appearances deceive, they know their stuff. They will cut laminate to size and even advertise that they recover caravan tables. Probably your best bet I'd say. They *may* have something in stock, they keep all kinds of offcuts, but the match may not be exact (if that matters).

http://www.stockmartplastics.co.uk/

If you go to IDS then I'm 100% certain you'd find a very close match to that panel, but they won't cut or fix it for you and you'd need to buy a large sheet. Alternatively, take the code into Stockmart and they'll order a sheet from IDS and cut and fix it for you, for a price of course. Woodgrains are the hard ones to match, a metallic finish will be easier. Take in a bit of your broken panel.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back