Attaching the Water Filler Cap to the Van (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

In an effort to prevent me;
A. Losing or dropping the Fresh water filler cap or
B Putting it down in a less than savoury place at an Aire Filling Point.
Or a combination of the above

I bought the below plug chain and attached it to the Fresh Water Filling Cap, suitably drilled to accept a key split ring.
I took one 'S' connector off the chain and that left the figure of eight connector that attached to the split ring.
I suitably shortened the chain to about 8" or so and prior to attaching it to the R Fastener I threaded the chain through a short length of narrow plastic tubing to prevent it tapping on the bodywork when in motion. I fastened the chain to the R Fastener by partially slicing through the R Fastener and then drilling a small hole, (slightly smaller than the chains little balls) This allowed me to force the chain through the created slice.
Finally, I screwed the R Fastener through one of the three retaining screws for the filler fitment.
By the way, I didn't buy 100 R Fasteners. I found one in the bitsa box.

Broken Link Removed

ux_a15062200ux1171_ux_c.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't have a fresh water filler cap . . . . but if I did. (y)

you should have attached it to a chain then you would not have lost it :D:D

we spent an extra night at Braemar last year when we got 30 odd miles away and stopped for lunch realised the cap was not on, which also meant it and the spare set of keys were sat on the wall on site, so returned and stopped another night :D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
SANY0182.JPG

PS. Forgot to add, the clear plastic tube has a small hole drilled into it at the lowest point so that any accumulated water drips away.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The water filler cap on our Hymer has a tether ..

like this one

$%28KGrHqV,%21osE8VqW%28WNvBPTfEM5Ziw%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Firstly apologies @emmitdb for the thread hijack

@ScotJimland I am considering this style of fitting as our water inlet hose on our Hymer suffers from an airlock and blows more water back than goes in sometimes

However, we have no overflow on our tank, do you? Our overflow is back up the fill tube, so we could have a big issue if as I often do walk away and forget I am filling (mainly at home not on sites I would like to add :))

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Off to France tomorrow.
As this add-on is visible, I wonder long before I have to practice my Franglais.?

Teddyj

Free Member
May 10, 2013
St Neots
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Fantastic, simple but so effective,job for tomorrow.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 75865

PS. Forgot to add, the clear plastic tube has a small hole drilled into it at the lowest point so that any accumulated water drips away.
That's nice with some thought for the detail. Someone got a "Top Tip" award in MMM for his version - which had an unprotected chain & a extra screw on the rim to connect it to. Bet he'll be pleased with the bare aluminium look downwind of the filler :D.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Maybe they realise that Hymer owners are that bit more forgetful :LOL:;)
Sadly that is all too true. The tether on our van broke, but luckily for me we only ever fill up when on site so when I forget where I put the cap I don't have far to look. But......last year on our tour of Scotland I filled the van up with diesel and when we got to the next site realised I'd left the fuel filler cap behind! When I asked the Hymer dealer how much to replace it, I nearly fell over when they said around £250 for one with a key.....or less than £20 for one without. Guess which one I chose? Might be worth fitting a chain to that one though...

Reactions: GJH

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
I done the same with my filler cap years ago when I lost the first one and had to pay 8.50 for a replacment

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Have the same horrors about leaving the Thetford cassette cap in an " inappropriate" place and seeing it disappear down the "dunny". Might well adopt your solution.

Bryan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Managed to lock mine in the garage with the keys in it a couple of weeks ago, good job wife had her keys, we were in Greece at the time.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I was too careful/careless and locked mine in the belly locker with the key(the same key that fits belly locker!):censored:. Had to make do with a rag stuffed in it until we received the spare key from home sent special delivery to Loch Lomond. Now make sure I don't lock locker until finished filling up.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Its easy done if you leave it in the grass when topping up and get distracted :whistle: we didn't notice until we we had travelled 100 mls away !! its not the expense of a new cap thats the problem its the two keys you end up with!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back