Refugees in Croatia? (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We leave on Thursday for an expected 8 week trip to Italian lakes and Croatia. Watching tonight's news it looks as if the refugees may start using Croatia as an alternative route to Europe.

What do the funsters think - should we be concerned??

Karen

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have not seen one sign of any trouble nowhere :)
The people down here are brill very friendly :)
I will give you one word of warning though if it's raining watch you driving as for some reason the roads become very slippery :confused:

Up to date have only been gassed twice :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just a thought the only refugees we have seen are Germans it full of them
Mostly Bavarians
The whole tourist trade down here is built around Germans and Austrian
We are on one of biggest sites now and there is one more Brit couple
Dropped pin
near Poljička cesta - Dočine 71, 21310, Omiš, Croatia
http://goo.gl/maps/pyEQR

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just a thought the only refugees we have seen are Germans it full of them
Mostly Bavarians
The whole tourist trade down here is built around Germans and Austrian
We are on one of biggest sites now and there is one more Brit couple
Dropped pin
near Poljička cesta - Dočine 71, 21310, Omiš, Croatia
http://goo.gl/maps/pyEQR

Croatia has always been dominated by German visitors. Years back that's all the Croatians wanted....german currency.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Funny thing is most of the Germans down here are from southern Germany and seem a lot more friendly there are a few grumpy hermans but most are ok friendly and willing to try talk
Is there a north south thing with them with south being more relaxed and more friendly approachable

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Funny thing is most of the Germans down here are from southern Germany and seem a lot more friendly there are a few grumpy hermans but most are ok friendly and willing to try talk
Is there a north south thing with them with south being more relaxed and more friendly approachable

Very much so - southern Germans love the British and detest the N Germans as a rule - goes back to WW2 when they were badly treated by the German Army - Travel the Rhine Mosel area and chat with the locals and you will get a good idea. S Germans are always friendly and welcoming. We have had some great times over there

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Best not go then...you will be murdered in your bed! Out of interest what do you expect to.happen...

Don't really expect anything to happen Judge! Certainly expect to come out of it alive :) Just heard one of the refugees at the closed Hungary border saying they'd probably look for other routes via Croatia/Slovenia, as we'll be there in about 3 weeks time I thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone had any thoughts. It will be our first visit so we don't know how thousands of refugees tramping through the country might or might not affect us.

I will give you one word of warning though if it's raining watch you driving as for some reason the roads become very slippery :confused:

Gassing :eek: now I really am worried. Thanks for advice @Peter & Elaine we're really looking forward to it (not the slippery roads). I've taken note of some of the sites mentioned by people in previous posts and can't wait to get on the road and away from this dismal weather.

Karen

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988

Can you claim 2 x £2k plus toys/new electric bikes on your insurance for the one holiday:cautious:??

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
image.jpg
Can you claim 2 x £2k plus toys/new electric bikes on your insurance for the one holiday:cautious:??
I don't see why not
Today's veiw 28 degrees a light breeze no foreign rabble nearest shop 5 miles away we called in here on way down so it would be rude not call in on way back
Dropped pin
near Betina, Croatia
http://goo.gl/maps/TZ3lu

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Left Zeebrugger 3 weeks ago. Now in Pula (Croatia) at a campsite 3 km from the centre. Not seen one refugge!
Come on down, its 28c and the same predicted for the next week!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Left Zeebrugger 3 weeks ago. Now in Pula (Croatia) at a campsite 3 km from the centre. Not seen one refugge!
We are heading that way back into Italy proberbly in about 2 weeks

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013

We won't get there for 2-3 weeks, save some sunshine for us.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We're currently in Croatia as well not seen any immigrants and to be honest wouldn't bother me if I did. But then we use Calais Aire and gave 3 Belgium kids hitch hiking a lift from Gravelines to the Coln so maybe we're reckless.
Seriously though don't worry don't believe a single word written by the British media or the BBC just go and enjoy.
Croatia is a fantastic country wonderful people once you get used to them and cheap campsites if you've got ACSI especially. We love it here first time in van been before on the motorbike a great motorhome destination. Krka National Park today 30c beautiful blue sky crystal clear waters stunning scenery campsite with ehu and wifi and restaurant £9.00 a night.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We're currently in Croatia as well not seen any immigrants and to be honest wouldn't bother me if I did. But then we use Calais Aire and gave 3 Belgium kids hitch hiking a lift from Gravelines to the Coln so maybe we're reckless.
Seriously though don't worry don't believe a single word written by the British media or the BBC just go and enjoy.
Croatia is a fantastic country wonderful people once you get used to them and cheap campsites if you've got ACSI especially. We love it here first time in van been before on the motorbike a great motorhome destination. Krka National Park today 30c beautiful blue sky crystal clear waters stunning scenery campsite with ehu and wifi and restaurant £9.00 a night.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997

When we were there , the roads were absolutely worn out in some areas, with two gulleys running down some of them due to wear, we saw one woman in a Fiat 500 do a 360 degree spin on a wet road ,when she came to rest in front of us, we saw that her tyres were bald!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well we are in Belgium after a short tour of Lake Garda in Germany. ..
I think I saw more Italians skiing in VT a couple of years ago than I did when in Garda...
Have to say though the Germans we spoke to were very friendly and loved the bear

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We have spent the past 10 days in Croatia, fabulous country and people. Travelled down the coast as far as Dubrovnik and back up via Split and Trogir. Spent today at Plitvicka Lakes...awesome!
We then travelled from Croatia into Slovinia, the border crossing was holding back buses with refugees on board and a lot sitting and walking at the side of the road. We were not delayed but when the Slovinia Policeman checked our passports he asked if there were only the two of us on board, with a smile...I assured him I had checked!
Will certainly return to Croatia to explore more.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for update @Zoppydog we won't be changing our plans but it's good to know what's going on. We won't get to Croatia for at least another week as we're only now heading for the Italian lakes. Very excited.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have spent the past 10 days in Croatia, fabulous country and people. Travelled down the coast as far as Dubrovnik and back up via Split and Trogir. Spent today at Plitvicka Lakes...awesome!
We then travelled from Croatia into Slovinia, the border crossing was holding back buses with refugees on board and a lot sitting and walking at the side of the road. We were not delayed but when the Slovinia Policeman checked our passports he asked if there were only the two of us on board, with a smile...I assured him I had checked!
Will certainly return to Croatia to explore more.

Good post helps allay any fears others have.
We're currently in Split 34c today, lovely old town went in this morning on the motorbike. Back in tomorrow or Monday before heading further south to eventually reach Dubrovnik. We were in Plitvice last week what a magical place and the colour of the water. About 3 weeks left before we head home sadly.

Croatia is a fantastic place to tour especially in a motorhome. Beautiful country one of the best coast roads we've driven with cheap campsites everywhere. Add to that stunning weather wonderful people cheap fuel whats not too like.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
You won't need to book any thing the sites down here are now quiet
Some of the large sites are closing down for winter
But most of the small family run one stay open till Christmas
The coast road 8 is awesome with camp sites every couple of miles
Sand beachs are very few and far between mostly is rocky with small sharp stone areas ( you need beach shoes) and the sea is the clearest I have ever seen

Most people speak a little English and extremely friendly
If you want internet I suggest this it is a little expensive but never let us down
I have had in my mifi and most of time it's been working on 4G
You can get it from any post office
Fuel is about 85p a liter
And LPG is about 35 to 45p a liter and connecter is large dish type
A meal out for 2 with drinks is about £25
Lidles are everywhere

Sites vary from £8 to £18 a night personal the best sites we have been on are the small out of town ones

We are now at zadar slowly moving back up north ready to go into Italy in a couple of weeks
Overall I think this country is great and well worth another visit but next time we will come down in spring as a few locals have told us it's the best time of year

We will be back

image.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back