prblem 2.8 fiat jtd engine (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2009
middleton manchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 years
Hi can anyone technicle give me any sugestions to my engine problem.
there is some oil coming on to the top hoses of engine bay had a full service last week.
i am in spain and have travelled all the way mostly using my cruise controll no problems at 56mph,but on at tempting to climb steep hills the engine seems unresponsive to throttle.
Please be patient with any replies i make due to being on patchy wifi.
many thanksmin advance.

Deleted User
Can you see where oil is coming from? (Have a look whilst ticking over but KEEP FINGERS etc clear)

For example is filter tight (going on recent service, which may be cause)

Is there enough oil in sump (quick dip if you've had a leak)

If you discover where oil is coming from it will be easier to diagnose potential issues.

Sep 17, 2014
swansea
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
check no split on turbo pipe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
check no split on turbo pipe

This would explain the lack of power, but the oil??

I would hazzard a guess that the turbo waste gate is stuck (or not opening far enough) resulting in too much pressure build up in the engine, pistons struggling with the extra compression, lack of oomph extra "blowby" and hence the oil leaking.

I have just had the very same issue with my engine/turbo.

HTH(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It could well be a split turbo hose. They're invariably coated internally by the small amount of engine oil that escapes the turbo oil seals. A wastegate sticking closed will cause an increase in power to the point at which the engine can't supply enough fuel for the extra air or the point at which mechanical failure occurs. A wastegate stuck partially or fully open will cause a dramatic loss of power.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
It could well be a split turbo hose. They're invariably coated internally by the small amount of engine oil that escapes the turbo oil seals. A wastegate sticking closed will cause an increase in power to the point at which the engine can't supply enough fuel for the extra air or the point at which mechanical failure occurs. A wastegate stuck partially or fully open will cause a dramatic loss of power.

Sorry I do not agree with the above, it looks like you have been using Google for your answers, I am giving an answer/possible solution based on personal experience.

We are talking about a commercial diesel engine here, not a high revving sports car.

It is a common fault on these engines/turbo.

Am I 100% that the turbo is at fault, no but it is a 10 minute job and costs nothing.

It is possible that the engine is not getting enough fuel, but it is the oil leak that points me towards the turbo.

I am not going to argue the point with you, Lifes too short.

Sep 17, 2014
swansea
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
I am not going to enter in to a debate with you, I do not need to Google anything, I have been in the motor trade for over 45 years, and was only trying to give advice for a possible cause to a fellow motor homer.
I cannot diagnose without seeing it.
yet you are 100% sure it is the turbo!

Reactions: f6c

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
I am not going to enter in to a debate with you, I do not need to Google anything, I have been in the motor trade for over 45 years, and was only trying to give advice for a possible cause to a fellow motor homer.

I think you be better read my post again, I did not say I was 100% sure, quite the opposite.

My response was not aimed at you, I did not quote you.

Exactly right, to try and diagnosing remotely is fraught with danger,( but like you) i also have many years experience in the motor trade, so I am not going to get into that one.

I was (like you) trying to give a fellow motorhomer my best advice/guess, as his problem mirrors my very recent (two weeks) identical problem, which was a stuck closed waste gate.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I almost feel left out :D
However I find your criticism of my reply just a tad patronising - something that in my experience the motor trade practice widely. Just to put the record straight my answer was borne of limited but valid experience of Diesel engines and of 50-odd years avoidance of every aspect of the motor-trade. (I have not, as yet, found the need, or any reason, to take any vehicle I have owned to a garage.)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I almost feel left out :D
However I find your criticism of my reply just a tad patronising - something that in my experience the motor trade practice widely. Just to put the record straight my answer was borne of limited but valid experience of Diesel engines and of 50-odd years avoidance of every aspect of the motor-trade. (I have not, as yet, found the need, or any reason, to take any vehicle I have owned to a garage.)

Not even for an MOT? You have been lucky enough to afford a new car at less than 3 year intervals for 50 odd years, well done that man. :)

D.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008

I think you be better read my post again, I did not say I was 100% sure, quite the opposite.

My response was not aimed at you, I did not quote you.

Still Waiting.

Ah well lets not let facts get in the way EH?

:whistle2:

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008

Sorry you felt patronized, the above highlighted in red is the bit I do not agree with, there is no "could" you have said that "mechanical failure occurs", not factually true for all stuck waste gates.

Thats all on that one(y)

OP
OP
toyota
Jun 1, 2009
middleton manchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 years
May i say thank you all very much for your replies, not being mechanically adept i have no idea where the turbo pipe is located.but thank you all for your time and inputs.i will see if anyone on the site here in spain camping villasol is able to point me the right way.
kind regards john

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've no clue what the cause might be, but having had a turbo hose work loose at the jubilee clip twice on my 2.3 JTD it's always worth checking that the clip is fully tightened if you've got the bonnet up. Prior to the last time it popped my MH's performance had been flagging. After I fixed it back properly things improved greatly.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry you felt patronized, the above highlighted in red is the bit I do not agree with, there is no "could" you have said that "mechanical failure occurs", not factually true for all stuck waste gates.

Thats all on that one(y)
Sorry - I haven't kept up with this - you are of course correct when you say mechanical failure doesn't always occur.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back