What's the chance of being pulled over for being overweight in France? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As title really....

We're off to weigh ourselves this morning but were just wondering how hot the authorities are on being a bit overweight? If caught out what are the consequences?

Thanks

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Only met one person who got a fine ( not sure how much ) they ended up replacing motorhome due to poor payload . Sorry can't help more but Im guessing its just pot luck if you get stopped.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why risk it? Every now and again we have to remind ourselves that it's supposed to be 'camping' and clear a load of stuff out :) That was especially so in our little Hymer. Now we have a bit more payload to play with but if we are going to be over then we use a small trailer.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Oriel

I my experience it’s very unlikely, I’ve been up and down France over the last ten years east west and down the centre, it appears that unless you get stopped for speeding you are very unlikely to be stopped at all.

This of course is only my experience and I’m sure some my tell you different, so in my humble opinion unless you’re back end is dragging on the road and you are following the French highway rules I would not worry if you are a little over weight.

There are things you can do to balance the weight depending on the type of MH you have, like not carrying to much fresh water and always keep both grey waste and the potty as low as possible, planning can play a big part in this so if you are going to an aire or a campsite there is no point in carrying lots of fresh water.

This will also help with fuel your consumption.

Regards
Ray

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Jim is correct if you have items you have not used in you're last two trips get rid i'm sure you'll find something.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
would be more concerned with the safety and insurance issue to be honest:censored:. Handling/braking distances compromised for a start. Get involved in a serous incident and insurance company + police will be alerted to examine everything, insurance can use it as an excuse to not pay out. That said there are past threads where the levels of fines where laid out. personally rather stay within the law as don't need the hassle!

when I was younger and naive I overloaded a camper and it was horrible to drive and bloomin dangerous..Soon learnt by joining forums. Anything you haven't used in over 12 months, leave behind...Shop as you go, bring far less clothes shoes etc...Its easy unless you have a badly designed van.

remember its the axles and the total weight you have to watch, especially if on a Fiat light chassis with 2000 kg rear axle. standard Ford and Fiat maxi have a lot more room to play with

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
But if you have bought 100 litres in the last Aire its not going to be used up when you go to the next Aire.
Where you would have to buy another 100 litres.
We don't dump the fresh water, we'd just carry it until its used. We make sure elsan and waste tank is empty though.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Personally I think you have more chance of bei g weighd in UK than France
My big surprise was when we cleared out for our 3 month Croatia run and carefully stocked up again we where 100kg lighter then a week on she'll island

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

We've just got back from the weighbridge and were 4250kg, so we have 250kg to spare... phew!!

We won't have the whole 250kg though as we only had 1/2 a tank of fuel... off now to google weights of various liquids. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

We've just got back from the weighbridge and were 4250kg, so we have 250kg to spare... phew!!

We won't have the whole 250kg though as we only had 1/2 a tank of fuel... off now to google weights of various liquids. :)

Good news......how where the individual axle weights?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

Just assume everything is 1kg per litre. Fuel is a bit less but this gives you a safety factor.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The axle weights were 1780 and 2470 - so we'll shift things around a bit.

Indeed.......as you have found out its easy to reach the individual axle weight before you reach the max payload. its the axles that govern the whole thing really....

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Indeed.......as you have found out its easy to reach the individual axle weight before you reach the max payload. its the axles that govern the whole thing really....

Yes, we're pretty pleased that we've been able to get everything we want onboard without overstepping the weight limit. Now we know what the payload looks like it should be easy to stay within the limit.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

just stop when you get to Wine.....

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Oriel

I my experience it’s very unlikely, I’ve been up and down France over the last ten years east west and down the centre, it appears that unless you get stopped for speeding you are very unlikely to be stopped at all.

Ray

I live in France and use the camping car extensively, but have never seen any weighing being carried out on camping cars. However, at Dusseldorf Caravan Salon last week the police were at the water dump / refill station with the wheel scales, pulling the occasional vehicle to the side. The police were a bit devious as they weren't visible until a commitment had been made to pull in to the service area.

J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back