Row of motorhomes Goring by Sea (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We went along the seafront at Goring this afternoon and there were 26 motorhomes parked there. There were lots of cars parked between them and we couldn't see that MHs cause a problem, as we have read recently. Lots of room for cars and motorhomes.
I'm not sure what the law says about parking there. It's an ideal place to stop.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oxfordshire County Council (which is responsible for on street parking in Goring) told me that there are no parking orders that restrict motorhome parking in general on-street parking spaces, the only restriction would be the size of the bay and whether it would fit in.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
????????????? Oxfordshire ?? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

lol:giggle:

I think you can get grief there + local youth blaring horns etc..at night when your trying to sleep. will use it this winter. when house hunting in area to see whats its really like. probably be doulble yellow lines by then!

then again maybe not! there are no houses behind so not spoiling anyone's views but local NIMBYS out with their cameras blaming campers for all sorts according to wildcamping forum thread:(

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Spots

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
Goring on Thames is in Oxfordshire, next to villages like Pangbourne and Streatley.
Goring on Sea is near Worthing, West Sussex

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Goring on Thames is in Oxfordshire, next to villages like Pangbourne and Streatley.
Goring on Sea is near Worthing, West Sussex
Flamin' suvverners reusing names to confuse people :LOL:

Broken Link Removed gives details of restrictions, none of which are specific to motorhomes as far as I know.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its UK again

We spent last night on a huge free beach car park with about 100 other vans.

Where?? Hondaribbia, Northern Spain, completely free, no hassle and even typing this on the town wifi.

Went out and ate in town last night, going out cycling this morning, on proper cyclepaths, then coming back this afternoon and prob going for a swim.

Why doesnt UK get it?
Jon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You wont have seen the queues going on the ferries then.

There is a massive demand.

Its because UK councils are no longer interested in what the poor captive customers actually want.
If there is massive demand why does hardly anyone actually get off their backsides and do something about it then?

For instance, how many councils have you contacted with constructive, evidenced, proposals for setting up aires in their district and how many other people do you know who have done the same?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have tried actually, not as much as you have granted.

Ive had communication with the national trust and the Visit Britain people.

Both asked the bl**dy Caravan Club who said they were not neccesary as people could use caravan sites. No self-interest at all there

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have tried actually, not as much as you have granted.

Ive had communication with the national trust and the Visit Britain people.

Both asked the bl**dy Caravan Club who said they were not neccesary as people could use caravan sites. No self-interest at all there
I'm not surprised you got nowhere. As far as the relevant legislation goes, NT and Visit Britain are no different from any other organisation which would need to obtain a licence and planning permission. The only organisations which can set up caravan sites (which is what aires are) without licences are the local authorities which are also licensing authorities.

As has been demonstrated many times, they are not going to commit to a potential £50K spend without somebody providing them with evidence that it would be money well spent. The NT and Visit Britain aren't going to provide that evidence and neither are the CC or any other private organisations which own and run caravan sites.

The only way to provide evidence (not just airy fairy "we spend money" claims) is for people (as individuals or together with like minded friends) to do it themselves. The fact that only a handful of people bother to do so is proof positive that there is no general demand for aires in the UK.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I am told land behind is for sale or to be sold wild camping will stop then

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Its UK again

We spent last night on a huge free beach car park with about 100 other vans.

Where?? Hondaribbia, Northern Spain, completely free, no hassle and even typing this on the town wifi.

Went out and ate in town last night, going out cycling this morning, on proper cyclepaths, then coming back this afternoon and prob going for a swim.

Why doesnt UK get it?
Jon

I don't know about other areas of the UK but here in the south I wonder if its purely down to lack of space. We went up to Telford last weekend and visited a couple of sites on the way back and were staggered how little development there was - it was wonderful.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its the nature and attitude of life in the UK, we are not a social breed..Plus the constant nagging from the worst of us, the bloomin NIMBYS!:) Hence why most of us vote with our feet and venture abroad.....the weather another reason obviously

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
The weather has a hell of a lot to do with it for me. I confess I am a latent Frenchman and find the whole attitude here so different and better than our home grown one. 2 hours for lunch etc.

I looked at a vide grenier yesterday morning, then went for lunch with friends, followed by a tour of Saintes on foot. Invited for aperatif last night which was something else. The whole attitude is so inclusive and a bonus for me very little English speach making my abysmal French have to get up an walk.

The strength of the aperatifs required a night stop and this morning was invited on a trip to Pont D'Envaux to visit the sculptures - some extraordinary works, well worth a vist but finished for this year from the 15th September.

I could go on and usually do but this is such a good site I do not want to spoil it. Back to work on 18th (floods of tears...)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

Good weather in the main, low costs, no booking and close to amenities. What more does anyone need?
No cross channel costs or extra diesel for overseas motoring used either:D(y)

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
This was Goring Gap yesterday evening ,photo took from the car so apologies for the quality.
We've been on the cc site there for the past 10days and the weathers. Been fantastic
Alan
image.jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Because there isn't sufficient demand for it to justify the expenditure.

IMHO, there is demand but there are too many problems from certain groups of the mobile community who would abuse the facilities and the UK government / councils don't have the b*lls to deal with them. Without rehashing a load of other threads etc, the French are a lot more effective at dealing with problems when they start which tends to reduce their frequency and severity.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
IMHO, there is demand but there are too many problems from certain groups of the mobile community who would abuse the facilities and the UK government / councils don't have the b*lls to deal with them. Without rehashing a load of other threads etc, the French are a lot more effective at dealing with problems when they start which tends to reduce their frequency and severity.
How many times does one have to post that local councils don't have any option to do other than they currently do to deal with travellers? The problem is national legislation passed by Blair's government, legislation that will, hopefully, be corrected by the current government.

That, though, is absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is no real demand. Lots of people would use aires if they were served up to them on a plate but the fact remains that hardly anyone will do anything to achieve aires if it means the least amount of effort on their part.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How many times does one have to post that local councils don't have any option to do other than they currently do to deal with travellers? The problem is national legislation passed by Blair's government, legislation that will, hopefully, be corrected by the current government.

That, though, is absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is no real demand. Lots of people would use aires if they were served up to them on a plate but the fact remains that hardly anyone will do anything to achieve aires if it means the least amount of effort on their part.

If councils persued those that caused damage and fly tipped, they would, in. Y opinion, have fewer issues arising.

Do you think that Clegg stopped Cameron from changing the national legislation?

I do think that there is a demand for aires but many are put off doing anything about them due to my previously stated reason.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Because there isn't sufficient demand for it to justify the expenditure.
your right to a point ( but our elected council members tell us at regular meetings when this subject always rears its ugly head that it is a Gipsy issue and their appears to be no real will or management structure to sort it out....Goring is six miles from us and people we known who live on the seafront are very displeased with the amount of MH's parking at the 'GAP '

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Goring is six miles from us and people we known who live on the seafront are very displeased with the amount of MH's parking at the 'GAP '

Nimby's are always dissatisfied with something that has sod all to do with them:rolleyes:. You have no right to a view under UK planning law and no houses behind that stretch anyway......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back