Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
We are parked in a busy Aire in Spain near to the MH service bay. It amazes us that we have seen at least twenty people place the water tap right inside the spout of their toilet cassettes closely followed by other people filling up their drinking water bottles from the same tap! Surely us Motorhomers are aware of this very 'dodgy' practice. Cross infection and all that. I hope it doesn't appear that we're being over fussy, but it makes our stomachs turn thinking what's on the endof that tap!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
seen it often.. also in the UK.. so I always spray site water taps with bleach before using

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Carry a spare hose and disinfect taps and the like before filing up I always run the tap for a while as well
most European water supply's are chlorinated so running the tap can help to kill the bugs
we use the water from the tank but most gets boiled for tea coffee when away we boil and cool water to drink
never had a problem in 20 years
bill

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is one ,in fact probably the ONLY reason we use a Naturepure water filter. It's not only the dirty or uneducated who contaminate fresh water taps. But also it is often the site/rally field set up. I've lost count of how many Elsan rinse taps are tapped onto the same length of water pipe as the potable tap but with NO BACKSTOP, you see this at nearly every show and rally ground. Using a naturepure ensures none of the bacteria make it to my mouth.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
w
This is one ,in fact probably the ONLY reason we use a Naturepure water filter. It's not only the dirty or uneducated who contaminate fresh water taps. But also it is often the site/rally field set up. I've lost count of how many Elsan rinse taps are tapped onto the same length of water pipe as the potable tap but with NO BACKSTOP, you see this at nearly every show and rally ground. Using a naturepure ensure none of the bacteria make it to my mouth.
where do I get one and how much are they a UV system and will they use a lot off power
bill
it's ok seen the :doh:link

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks Judge!

One gets used to the soapy taste after a while and the tea strainer ensures there's no pubes in your cuppa!:)

what can I say...impressed! just popping down the road to get some bottled water for my kettle..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is one ,in fact probably the ONLY reason we use a Naturepure water filter. It's not only the dirty or uneducated who contaminate fresh water taps. But also it is often the site/rally field set up. I've lost count of how many Elsan rinse taps are tapped onto the same length of water pipe as the potable tap but with NO BACKSTOP, you see this at nearly every show and rally ground. Using a naturepure ensures none of the bacteria make it to my mouth.

Fitted one in the RV , great bit of kit and would like to fit one in the Hymer, but the cost has rocketed.. the basic kit used to be about £150 .. now almost double..

frankly I can't see how £284 is justified.. the filter cartridge is £62.. so the cost of a tap and cartridge holder is £222... !

will live without..

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes they certainly aren't cheap anymore, if they ever were. Though the convenience of having pure water on tap wherever you are is, for us at least, certainly worth it.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Broken Link Removed
and use this filter candle Broken Link Removed
this also as a silver inlay for better cleansing of water .
silver is the best purification .
cowboys used to use silver dollars in their water containers .
its also why wishing wells were started . silver coins purified the water.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Wish I had room to fit one (of whatever type) without major surgery to the van :(

We do OK using a filter jug though. As we only use UK potable water sources we haven't come to harm drinking from the tank so far.

Deleted User
We use bottled drinking water and boil tank water for kettle .

Same here, mineral/spring water is so cheap we would have to bath in it to justify a filter system.

We also use bleach wipes on the Aires taps (and more often than not a watering can which obviously doesn't touch owt)

No problems so far, but agree with OP that some people do some dodgy stuff with the potable tap. We saw a guy having a shower a cpl of weeks ago using the Aires fitted hose. It went down the back of his pants to you know where :whistle: :eek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Same here, mineral/spring water is so cheap we would have to bath in it to justify a filter system.

We also use bleach wipes on the Aires taps (and more often than not a watering can which obviously doesn't touch owt)

No problems so far, but agree with OP that some people do some dodgy stuff with the potable tap. We saw a guy having a shower a cpl of weeks ago using the Aires fitted hose. It went down the back of his pants to you know where :whistle: :eek:

Aaarrrggghhhh tooo much information :moon2:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Well, thanks to everyone for their comments and it appears to be a wide spread problem (at least for those of us who care). We personally don't ever drink water out of our tank boiled or not. We collect our potable water in a five litre can and fill the filter jug up from there. Ok we're a bit OTT but hey Ho!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Checked our van and don't seem to have any pots for the "potable" water . Have a tank that takes about 100ltrs but never seen a tap where I can fill with "tankable" water please help cos we are worried that filling the tank with potable may not be the thing to do ..... 'er indoors as done some further checks and can find no signs of water being black but has found some "brownish" and others a bit on the off white scale ???

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
When we were on an Aire in Le Mans woman walking her dog let it cock it's leg and piss on the drinking water tap just shows you don't know what been there.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What I don't understand is why anyone would rinse out a toilet cassette?
I do it to get rid of any residual waste..

if it builds up it is difficult to remove.. particularly around the gubbins
Same here. Sometimes paper hasn't had time to fully break down before emptying so gets caught. Rinsing frees it, allowing disposal.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
far better to leave it dirty then the natural bacteria works to break it down .
no chemicals and let nature do its work far better.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

We saw a guy having a shower a cpl of weeks ago using the Aires fitted hose. It went down the back of his pants to you know where :whistle: :eek:
We stayed on a Sosta about 50km North of Genoa and witnessed a group of men (this was about half past midnight) get naked and shower over the waste drain, using the same hose as used to rinse out cassettes - different culture I guess :whistle:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The CL I am on at the moment... The birds use the tap as a perch and toilet. I have to take my wire brush and bleach with me before I fill up. It was absolutely caked in rock solid bird crap when I first arrived and gets a decent coating each week when I go to fill up again.

I then put this on www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231540092272 and connect my own hose.

If I was travelling Europe again I would definitely have a naturepure again. Don't have space in the current van without a lot of messing.

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
I just do what the old English crusaders did make beer/fight/come home to camp drink beer. next day repeat. nowadays the wife tells me not to be an arse so I don't fight anymore just drink beer and love the world and so therefore I've never had water borne illness (other than drinking it without beer flavour in it)(y):roflmto::pinocchio::cheers:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back