Does the tyre on your spare wheel have to match the rest? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Like many/most new vans my Mk8 Transit based Chausson came with no spare, only a squirty blowy hope it's only a tin tack hole thingy. I would like to buy a spare (and a suitable jack) to keep in the garage and have seen a company advertising new wheels and tyres for that very purpose. Problem is, as they only cost £150 or so they come with a make of tyre fitted that I haven't heard of before, and it certainly doesn't match those fitted to the van. It's the same size and rating though, so my question is, as it's only a spare to get me home would it be ok? I'm sure it must be better than a holy tyre filled with gunk, or would it actually be more dangerouser?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
as far as i am aware, just needs to be same rating and size, the make and tread pattern dont count

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so long as the tyre on the spare was the same or better weight rating than those fitted, it would be fine to get you home etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha, check out a few eight wheel tippers, their tyres get chewed up pretty quickly and they end up with all sorts of tread patterns. As has been said, no it doesn't matter.(y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Have you considered just buying a tyre? and letting the breakdown service deal with it in the event.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
That might not be a bad idea. I don't do much touring in out of the way places and it would save carting a trolley jack around. Ta.

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
I personally wouldn't worry too much about the tyre size as long as the wheel fitted correctly and the load rating was ok, having said that, I would probably put any wheel on as a get me home to a garage measure, theres plenty of space saver wheels on cars these days, supposed to restrict your speed to 50mph when using it, common sense would dictate the situation, broke down in the middle of nowhere with a flat, I`d take the wrong size tyre and run at a reduced speed to get me somewhere safe any day.

I`ve had a brand new steel wheel with new correct load tyre (although 15" instead of 16") as a spare for a while now, have been lucky enough to pick up a correct size alloy wheel with correct size and load tyre. but if needed I wouldn't of hesitated to use the 15".

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I went to a scrap yard and paid a Fiver for a steel wheel that matched the existing ones on the MH (Fiat Ducato 2004) Took it to our local tyre fitters and they put a new Michelin on it. Wheel trim covers old steel wheel. Now have peace of mind that I have a spare if necessary. Also tried out the jack and found that some kind soul had included quite a heavy duty ratchet & socket to raise the jack. Happy all round but will still call breakdown if dangerous to change the wheel myself!

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
It matters in Spain, you're not allowed to mix tyre types on the same axle, even a tyre fitter won't replace just one if it doesn't match

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back