Just been reminded why I shop online! (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Went into our nearest town (Worthing) yesterday. I don't often go there as the parking is horrendously expensive and there's few shops that I'm interest in but had to exchange a Tshirt for my husband so bit the bullet and went.

First the Tshirt shop..... husband - had bought two and one was the wrong size. I go to the exchange desk - the assistant was lounged up against the counter (literally leaning across it) I explained what I needed to her. Without a single word she stood up, sucked her teeth audibly, and sauntered off. I'm standing there thinking... has she heard me, is she going off on a break... what???
Back she comes 5 minutes later, shoves the shirt and a bit of till roll at me, grunts 'signature' and stuffs the shirt in a bag. WTF!! During the whole transaction the only word she spoke was 'signature'.

Off to another store to buy summer tops. Go to try them on and the assistant suggests that I leave my handbag with him to look after... Mmmm no, I don't think so. Try tops on decide on buying 5 and give the other one back to said assistant. 'Where's the number disk' he says. I told him he hadn't given me a disk - he actually said 'yes I did' and went into the dressing room to look for it. I was absolutely dumfounded! Why the hell would I steal a disk! Sure, Mr dressing room assistant - I'd love to leave my handbag with you... you can't even remember whether you give a disk out or not!

Feeling rather annoyed I decide to head for home only to find the carpark paypoints are out of order with the guy trying to sort things out. I, along with a massive queue of similarly peed off parkers, waited for 20 minutes to pay!

Needless to say I won't be shopping in Worthing again!

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I sympathise with you. With the internet, you would have thought that Councils and businesses would be doing everything that they could do to make your stay an easy, happy experience, rather than scare you into retreating back to your own home.

If it helps, my friend recently moved to Worthing and whenever we visit, we park in the roads opposite the Charles Dickens pub:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...37,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x7e47f12c0aba4478

Which is free. And please, do pop into the pub as it was the best pub I visited in 2014. The selection of whiskies (and the very competitive prices) was amazing, as was the standard of real ales. A real little gem (which by the sounds of it, you will need after some shopping!)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What a strange coincidence. I was talking to my brother (who lives in Forest Row) yesterday about south coast towns and he said Worthing was the pits :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You should shop with my mate Mark....

We went into PC world for a case... Bloke was really ride and had no idea what mark is like. He really is an ace bloke but has no tolerance of rude staff. And the sales bloke was very rude. Within minutes Mark went ballistic ! Asked for the manger and everything. When refused he went double ballistic and the security bloke came over and asked us to leave.. Honestly that was the last thing he should have done as Mark really let go on him.

Eventually the manager arrived but by this time I was in stitches laughing the security guy was crap ping himself and an audience had built up.

I'm not sure if I want to go shopping with him again cos my sides were literally aching from laughing...

Brilliant it was...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Judgemental - you may find this thread interesting

Not really:)

As for the OP's shopping experience:D girl probably on zero hour contract or a daughter there against her will..hence the don't give a toss attitude....Worthing awful because of THIS?lol

our london home going on the market in Feb. as we intend to move to west worthing. friends in Hove looking to downsize and move there as well. Brighton/Hove now London prices with Worthing on the up....

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan

As for the OP's shopping experience:D girl probably on zero hour contract or a daughter there against her will..hence the don't give a toss attitude....Worthing awful because of THIS?lol

our london home going on the market in Feb. as we intend to move to west worthing. friends in Hove looking to downsize and move there as well. Brighton/Hove now London prices with Worthing on the up....

As an aside, I do some property development work on occasion and my brother is a full time property developer. Most places in the SE are on the up, but Southampton is the place that you will be the biggest projected increase (if you're after that kind of thing) on the south coast. Yields are pretty high too on rentals.

Worthing town centre does need some redevelopment work though, IMO, but that isn't untypical of lots of town centres, especially by the coast.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As for the OP's shopping experience....Worthing awful because of THIS?lol

No, I did say in my post I don't shop in Worthing generally because there's nothing there that interests me - I'm not closed minded enough to write a whole town off because of one lousy shopping experience.

However, in my opinion, Worthing's parking fees are extortionate and the shops are pretty abysmal. I believe its the parking that has killed off the town. The council sold the parking rights off to a private company a few years ago and since then the fees have escalated and shops have closed. I normally shop in Horsham, Chichester or Guildford - slightly further away but worth it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

No, wasn't suggesting you'd be interested in the customer service angle, as Great British sloppy service is alive and kicking on every high street in the land
Thought you may have a passing interest in the 'Worthing' angle from Sussex Residents point of view.
Have you looked at Ferring?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No, wasn't suggesting you'd be interested in the customer service angle, as Great British sloppy service is alive and kicking on every high street in the land
Thought you may have a passing interest in the 'Worthing' angle from Sussex Residents point of view.
Have you looked at Ferring?

Don't really fancy 's 30's suburbia (waiting for Godot?):D

some nice housing stock in West Worthing...parking don't bother us as we cycle. for shopping/eating out we will probably stick with Brighton/Hove. and shopping on line:LOL:

I can get a similar house to what we have in London for half the money, that's whats driving the move, + access to a lump of money. I retired 5 years ago and don't need to be here anymore, as kids more or less independent. Just fancy living near the sea...

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
Went shopping recently in Warrington.
First shop I went in

Me
Excuse me can you tell me where the public toilets are.

Assistant
We are all members of the public
Just go through the staff only door and first right.
But I'm afraid I'll have to charge you.

Me
pardon

Sales assistant yes
Today's fee is a smile of appreciation that's all love.

Me
No problem
Thank you for being nice.

That's all right cocker.
That's me Job and that's why I love it.

London it isn't

Thank God for that.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Went shopping recently in Warrington.
First shop I went in

Me
Excuse me can you tell me where the public toilets are.

Assistant
We are all members of the public
Just go through the staff only door and first right.
But I'm afraid I'll have to charge you.

Me
pardon

Sales assistant yes
Today's fee is a smile of appreciation that's all love.

Me
No problem
Thank you for being nice.

That's all right cocker.
That's me Job and that's why I love it.

London it isn't

Thank God for that.

That's at the other end of the scale - sounds like from another era! Even in a small independent shop I wouldn't expect to be able to use the staff's facilities but just expect common courtesy.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Don't really fancy 's 30's suburbia (waiting for Godot?):D

some nice housing stock in West Worthing...parking don't bother us as we cycle. for shopping/eating out we will probably stick with Brighton/Hove. and shopping on line:LOL:

I can get a similar house to what we have in London for half the money, that's whats driving the move, + access to a lump of money. I retired 5 years ago and don't need to be here anymore, as kids more or less independent. Just fancy living near the sea...
Try the east coast, much better beaches and access to nature and lower prices

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had a similar problem but with a differing ending. I went into a machine tool shop in Herne Bay paid a load of money for cutters. I badly needed a toilet as I have a prostate problem asked to use the one at the end of the counter which was there with an open door, I was refused by both staff members stating that I could not go in there as it was Health and Safety issue as I might fall over then sue them. They did direct me to the public convenience 200 yards up the other road and on to the prom. I did not argue but stumbled off to the PCs just making it with serious discomfort. I should have wet myself and then sued them for public humiliation or better still done it in the doorway like the drunks do at night when the PC are closed. Guess where I WILL NOT be buying any more bits from.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Try the east coast, much better beaches and access to nature and lower prices

WHAT! @ludo lives up there!..that would not do at all!:rolleyes:

To far from London, friends & family + Eurotunnel:)

wife a real theatre nut, I go as well but more selective. Brighton London on sea:giggle: (to busy and pricey for us as prices as much as London and no need for fast commute)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back